Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

it's been a bad few days..trying to cope

17 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Monica, I know what your going through. I can't stop crying either. This is making me insane. You have been without a smoke for almost 90 days, & you still get this way? OH NOOOOOOOOOO, I hope i can do this thing. I'm starting to doubt myself. Thats not good. I shouldn't think about next week, or next month, I need to take one day at a time. Or should i say 5 minutes at a time. I say to myself, ok i need a smoke, but then i say no damn it. I want to be smoke free. I don't want to have to think about smoking anymore. Like when you go out, you have to think about bringing your smokes, then when your getting low on them, again your thinking, oh have to get some. I'm sooooooooo fed up with that. I hope it gets better for you. you did go this long, so hang in there plssssssssss. I need to see that you are stong, helps me ...see.
17 years ago 0 204 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Monica, Iam reading this stuff and I am flipping out! What a grip this has on people, me to! But you wanna know something Monica. I Talked to a lot of professionals and even people who have quit for over 20 years. This whole addiction will not totally go away. But it can be controled and for most part, it sounds like you are doing it. Rusty had a great idea, try something new. Change your techniques perhaps. Fool your self a bit. This whole addiction is all about mind. For me, I am trying to fool my addiction, getting to know what it likes and what it hates. It might not make sense to you, but it does to me. Some times when it gets bad, I just make a tight fist and I clinch my teeth. It goes away. Then I smile and move forward. More importantly, I dont let it change my mind, i dont give in to it. I keep telling myself that I hate this addiction and what it did to me. I might say this 50 times in 1 hour. Well, try it, to me its a mind game. Who knows, it might work for you. Jim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 154 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $38.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As usual with the every day stresses and then the added stresses I've been really struggling even with my coping techniques. I know exactly what my trigger points are and I keep repeating to myself that going out to buy a pack of cig's are not the answer.. the problems will still be there -- BUT, it's like I'm going through hell week all over again in these last few days :( I'm doing my breathing exercises, keeping busy, going out for walks, doing my visualization technique.. ohhhh dear.. these feelings are all encompassing. Thought I had a relatively good handle with the stresses.. maybe not? I think what is really getting to me is the physical -- dry mouth, nausea,,, am sure it's all related to panic.. panic that I'll cave to the crave combined with dealing with the stresses. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going out for my walk now and hopefully it will help some. I'm sitting here shaking my head and feeling really confused why it's hitting me into day 25 when I thought,, really thought I had it under control. (the stresses, coping tools etc..) Throwing me for a loop. Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 486 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $216 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
Yes Katy, I know re the pressure of not smoking as an added stressor.. It's the personal turmoil here with a very sick husband.. and I think I've just been pushing myself to the limit what with the quit ..yes, doing well - and I know it's hard work, but it's sooooooo tiring! Maybe it's just catching up with me in that respect. Thanks Rusty, actually that's what I just did.. just got back from a very long walk - a whole new route and then stopped into Tim Horton's for a coffee and went to a park and drank it while listening to the rhythms of my breathing. Oh Phil, I remember you saying that about my name.. thanks sweetie. And no I didn't buy any.. Feeling exceptionally tired - maybe I'll just go lay down for a while and if I get to antsy then I'll throw in a movie. Thanks to all of you.. I'm trying so hard here.. just gotta keep breathing I guess. Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 488 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $216 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
Oh Phil,, that hug is just what I'm needing.. Thank you love.. :) btw.. you have such wonderful stats.. quite impressive.. :) Gonna lay down now.. me [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 488 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $216 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
Jim - yes, I know about the mind thing.. and I've been doing a lot of trickery, visualizations etc... it's just been real hard. Thanks for the advice.. much appreciated. Keep up the good fight - you're doing really well hon. :) Hey Windy - that's the problem,, I feel that I'm doing all the right things.. my techniques were in place,, everything was on what I thought was a steady course - But Windy..omg.. i'm running outta steam.. it's like I'm so tired of trying allllll of the time. Plus..and I know I know there will always be stresses.. but man oh man.. hubby is soooooooooooooooooo ill and that in itself is so difficult to deal with and to live with. I go out.. I do for me. I had learned from the quit that I had forgotten about me.. I had learned a lesson during this quit. *huge sigh* Thanks sweetie for your support..You know how much I value your thoughts. Greenette - Oh hon, no, my quit isn't 90 days..that's Homey's quit.. Listen dear, don't have doubts because of me. I'm just, I think, overwhelmed and I've been pushing myself to the limit with the quit, plus many other personal health issues with my husband, my dad, etc. You be strong hon.. I don't know what day your quit is or for how long, but if you have your doubts - or if you're feeling low or ever feel you cannot handle it, come here. There's so much unbelievable support. Thanks all.. I just took a long hot shower - knowing that sleep is not in the cards for me right now, I've pulled out a drama/horror movie for myself - "Red Eye" I love horror movies, maybe it'll scare me out of this 'mood'? I also made myself a hot cup of cocoa.. I'll see what tomorrow brings.. thanks again..you're my strength Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 496 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $216 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
Ohhh Homey.. yes me too 30 yrs of smoking. I have cried a river, like you said huge tear drops and the last few days it's like I can't stop. I've came here yesterday and today (that's how long it's lasting), to read and respond to take my mind off of me - BUT, it didn't work. I am going to take your advice re screaming into a pillow. At this point I'll try anything. You've been so very helpful, and I can't thank you enough. You are right though about men, well most of them, they don't get the crying thing. I am so tired you know? It's draining me. I lay down and I'm so keyed up I can't sleep and that's making it worse. Wow.. 90 days smoke free on Dec. 7th! That's fabulous :) Once again, thanks for reading my post and offering up your advice. Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 493 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $216 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
I came across a new thread under "Forum for New Users.." and the name of the thread is "No matter what DON'T give up!" There are a several posts there which were so powerful - and with the combination of what I've been reading here that I'm am totally overwhelmed with the amount of support, caring and advice that I totally broke down into major tears! I cried for almost a 1/2 hr after reading their posts and cried straight through writing my own post on that thread. I left there some time ago to take a long hot shower.. feeling much more relaxed and relieved (guess all that crying released much of the stress, anger and anxiety I have been feeling). Now, time for a funny movie.. will check my collection for something to make me laugh and then off to bed. If you have a moment.. please check out the above thread "No matter what DON'T give up!" The members who wrote are absolutely incredible! As are all the members that I have met thus far in my quit! :) 'night all.. sweetest of dreams....because tomorrow is a new day :) Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 538 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $234 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
Hello my friends :) Well today, thus far, seems to be somewhat better than the last 3. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but, for the last 3 days (this being the 3rd) day I stepped down to the 7 mg patch. As I noted in one of my posts, that I thought maybe I was getting too much with the 14 mg and maybe it was making me crave more, of course adding the stresses I'm going through. Anyway, with the weaker patch, the healthier foods in my crave cart, eliminating caffeine.. it just seems a little better. I will continue to go with this new plan of attack against the nicodemon in the hopes that it will all ease up even more over the next few days. Thanks everyone for all of your support and if you have read my posts and seen the various changes I've made.. Please, feel free to add more ideas - I can use all that I can get. Hoping your weekend is going well :) Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 530 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $234 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
Thanks Rusty - I may try that 1/2 and 1/2 idea of yours. Really do love my coffee. Just thinking thought that caffeine does get one all buzzed up.. and gawd only knows I don't need that ! btw...Your quit stats are soooo unbelievable ! Good for you... :) Hey RM - I am giving myself an awesome gift .. thanks.. and you too with the great stats ! :) Ok gonnadoit - I wrote down your 'healthy' food cart ideas.. never heard of frozen grapes though.. and how is that bottled green tea? Does it taste ok? I like the hot green tea.. is it about the same? You wrote: [b]"There are times you feel like you're treading water; times you feel like you are getting closer to shore; times you get caught in a rip-tide; times when it feels like your floating along...and then the tsunami!"[/b] This is EXACTLY how I've been feeling.. I couldn't find the perfect words and you just gave them to me. Right now it's day 3 where I'm caught in a rip-tide.. and just trying so hard to hold on and begin to float again. I need to get back to that place.. I just, I guess, have to be patient. Everyone has offered me so much by way of support, understanding and additional advice to help with my coping techniques. Thanks ever so much.. I cleaned out the closet in my room to work off some nervous energy and so far so good with the 7 mg patch. Just gotta keep on going.. and you guys have been my 'wee push'.. feels good to have you here. :) Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 513 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $225 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34

Reading this thread: