Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

the problem...

18 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Casey how old are you? What do you do for an occupation? And where do you live?
18 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BTW, this is DaveP. I just posted under my girlfriend's name on accident.
18 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Casey have you ever thought about joining the military? It sounds like you got more on your mind than just smoking, and it could be the right thing to do (it was for me). You're young and you got the whole world in front of you, why not get out of Kentucky and experience some of it? You'll be strong and proud, a man. On top of all that, you'll find the best smoking cessation program out there: basic training. Think about it... don't know if I'm completely misreading things here, but something in your first post triggered an instinct in me and I wanted to give you this advice. Good luck.
18 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Casey - you can do it. I am a chronic alcoholic, chronic pot & cigarette smoker. It's been going on 3 years since I've touched booze or pot. You have to do it for yourself. I believe one of the things holding you back is FEAR. Fear of what life is like when not acting on the addictions, fear of letting go of things that became your sources of comfort. Cigarettes provide a little haven of escape. You ache for a long term solution, but through a quick fix. I might be wrong, but you sound like I felt before I couldn't take it any more and was ready to quit. For cigarattes, this web site provides amazing support - it's definitely helping me. I wish you every success. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 288 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
18 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Casey, you desire to quit will be the most important tool you will have when you start your quit. Your determination and the support of your girlfriend, family and fellow ex-smokers on this site will also be very valuable. If possible, finding an in-person meeting, like nicotine anonymous (nicotine-anonymous), might be helpful. I was not able to find one in my area, but I would like to have an in-person group as part of my program. It seems like you could benefit from a sponsor or mentor. I have had a lot of luck in trying every coping tool in the book and even coming up with one or two of my own. There are dozens of ideas floating around on these boards, I'd bet that you can find one that works for you. The exercise of researching and practicing the coping techniques has itself become a great coping technique for me. You need to change your self talk. You CAN quit! You would have a hard time finding anyone on this site that found it easy. I would guess that many failed to keep their quit more than once. Some have lost their quits after months. The most common factors among the success stories has got to be persistence and determination. Haunt these boards, it will prepare you for what's to come. Decide your method of coping (cold turkey, patch, gum, etc...), commit publicly (and more importantly to yourself) that you can and will do it, pick a date and quit. You absolutely CAN do this!
thanks again for your support.... Im trying ive cut back but i havent completely quit yet ill say that......Im trying I want quit bad. I know I can, i think its just the first stone that the heaviest.... the first smoke of the day is the worst to decline. Any advice on not taking that first puff in the morning?
thanks for all the responses,,, I am 21 years old and from the central Kentucky area. I want to quit smoking for myself, and I know that once i feel better about myself others will feel better about me. However my girlfriend of 4 years currently lives in Germany so It's hard for me to get support from her, I've told her of my intentions to quit, and that please her, but I really want to quit for me.... Smoking makes me weaker than what I should be but i really an't afford the patches or gum, I work part-time and go to college, and all my money goes to bills, seriously. I barely have enough food, and i hate to say it but also a pack of smokes a day. I know I could save moeny and be so much healthier than this..... thanks fot he responses again
here is the problem... i cant quit I want to so bad for my health so that i can live with my girlfriend as long as possible. I know smoking increases my chances of dying at a younger age. She hates that i smoke, i Hate that ismoke, for some reason I can't quit. I want to ... this very moment. I also want o learn how to become a man. I need so adcive i have so many questions..... but no one to ask. I just want someone hwo doesn't know me to just talk to me about all my problems..... to quit smoking cigarettes and marijuana.... I want o quit it all I want to live a healthy life..... someone if they have time to help me Thanks. BTW my name is Casey
Ok I am ready to quit... thanks for your support but I want to try the NRTs. Which is better, the gum or the patch thing? What are the best brands at a reasonable price. Thanks!
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Superkeener..........I had a dilemma in how to reply to your post. You see, one half of me wants to slap you and the other half wants to go "There, there". I am cross with you because I would give anything to be able to stop at your age. I am sad for you because it is a powerful addiction and your post is the junky talking. So where do we go from here? Well, actually we don't go anywhere! We wait to see what you will do. If you continue to smoke....we will hope to see you back one day when the desire to stop exceeds the power of the addiction. If you decide to stop.....we will support you and help as much as we can, but we can't stop for you....only you can do that. Your move. Mad Englishman [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 466 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �330 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45

Reading this thread: