Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

In the same boat with Peteg-- back again

13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm back in town finally, too... have been traveling all over creation with absolutely zero time to myself.  I'm hoping to catch up with everyone and renew some friendships before I get sent off again in May.
peteg
13 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi hi hi!

I can only write briefly.  My home computer crashed over the weekend, and I've been out of the office until today.  I have to dash off to a meeting, but just wanted everyone to know that I am still smoke free and haven't disappeared on you all again!  I'll have to write tomorrow, but thanks for all of your support.  It was nice coming in today so I could finally read everything!
xo!
13 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb,

So glad to see you back.  I haven't been around in a long time myself, just because the web site and I don't see eye to eye, but I am glad I checked in to see you here again.!  I hope you had a good day, you can do this.  It is worth it, and once you get to a certain point in your life, it is that, your new way of life, you just don't really think about it anymore.

Sending you hugs and good vibes for each new day  (((hugs)))

Kelly
13 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for replying to me.  Sorry it has taken long to get back to you, I did go do some shopping, and I did have an easier time than I would have on Thur.  That is quite encouraging.

You mentioned setting Daily Goals.  I guess I do not know what those are, but want to take advantage of all the tools I can.   Would you please explain what they are.   Thanks     PJ58
13 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome PJ58! 

You have done well so far in your attempts to quit smoking - extending your smoke-free days and cutting down the number of cigarettes is a fantastic start.  I'm certain this time you will do even better - especially with the support from our members who have walked in your shoes.  Now you can put on some hiking boots and start the climb towards your goals.  We are here for you if you need any help along the way!

Have you set daily goals for yourself?  What are they? 
Spend time reviewing the milestones in the 'My Program' section of the website.  These will help you along your journey to stay smoke-free.
Vincenza, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Morning everyone.  I am new to this site and new to my quit, 38 hrs and 10 min, new.  This is my fourth try this year at quitting.  The first lasted 10 days, the second lasted 2 weeks, the third 25 days.   I have been smoking for 42 years.  I quess my unsuccessful quits were good in that before the first one I smoke 40 cigs a day.  After that try I was consistantly at 30 cigs, after the 2nd try down to 20, and after the 3rd down to 10, where I have been for a month and a half.   So I do truely believe that those tries benefitted me.  So how do I feel about this quit?  A lot more positive than the others.  I am not having very strong cravings, not as strong as the ones I had in the other tries.  The hours seem to pass way more quickly than they did in the other tries.  And when the cravings do come I have better "self talk" than I did before.  

The addiction still has an arsonal of defeating thoughts that it throws at me from time to time, and I have not mustered answers to all of them, but through the coming days, I will come to you all and ask your help in providing the answers that will shut the nicodemon up.   But right now today, I am going to go out and enjoy going to the store and my Home Depot, enjoy it more that I would have 38 hours, 21 minutes ago, because believe it or not, my breathing is better than it was on Thursday night at 7:30 PM.        PJ58
13 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've read, and reread all of your posts tonight.  It was a tough day, but rewarding.  I'm going to keep this brief, because I've got a little guy to get to his baseball game super early in the morning.  I promise to write more tomorrow when I'm more rested.

Most important.  I didn't smoke today. 

I'll start with the bads of today, because I'd like to end on a positive note.

Today seemed to be national cough day.  I had to drive 157 miles today to present on a program and it went something like this: "Our 5 year HACK HACK plan COUGH COUGH is on track SPUTTER SPUTTER for the first DOES ANYONE HAVE A COUGH DROP!!??  quarter. 

That was fun.  I don't remember coughing like this before.  Crazy embarrassing.

Good notes: I drove 157 miles without smoking even though I really wanted to and thought about pulling over to every gas station I saw.  I got a raise today despite my coughing fit (also had my fiscal year end review today which I did well in).

Drove through some crazy storms where I could only see the car in front of me to get there.  It's been an interesting day.  My SO is away for the weekend, so I am guaranteed some quiet time.  I"m not sure of my plans tomorrow aside from watching 7 year-olds play baseball (which is hilarious), and chasing dust bunnys, but I'll post more then.  Am super tired.

love you all.  I appreciate your support so much.  It meant a lot to come home to see so many of you there.
Deb
13 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb,
Hang in there.  During my times of desperation (we ALL have them) I have found that self improvement turns out to be the best tonic.

I am sure you feel like a better person when you are not smoking,(I do).

Take care of yourself.

-Tim 

13 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb,
Such a pleasure to "see" you again. And I'm glad to see the spark is still here. Together with the sense of humor and will power. You know you are going to need these first few weeks/months. But you also know it gets easier with time. And if you can just hold on a minute longer, that bad craving goes away. And the empowerement that comes with conquering the addiction is worth the pain, isn't it?
Now, let's kick some demon a$$. Deal?
Keep the quit
Cristina
13 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Deb! Glad to see you are trying once again. You already know that smoking didn't make anything better, so you know how to prepare for the rocks that may be in your path this time. You are strong and capable and you will breezing along again in no time. Look in your reflection each day for the improvements in your skin and coloring and your breathing ablilty, clear signs that you are on the right path!
Glad to have you back! Kick some Ash girl!

Reading this thread: