Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Messed up again

13 years ago 0 331 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats on your continued success!!!!!!  You are doing amazing and being emotional is part of being "present in the moment" so enjoy every moment of that!   Great job on rewarding yourself...I too just got an iphone this weekend and I agree that it will certainly keep your hands very busy.  The saddest part for me was realizing that I would spend the same amount of cash on 3 weeks of smoking to afford an iphone...isn't that crazy?!?!?!?!?!?  Keep up your quit and yes don't let your guard down....we have all failed at some point but what matters is how you get back up and fight!  You are doing amazing!
13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Talulha,

Its great that you're able to share your success here and with your family and friends. Congrats on all your success!

Its normal to have some fear about smoking again. When those thoughts do come up, counter them with positive talk. You can say things like " I know I have quit in the past, but this is the present. I am focusing on now and the future."
Feel victorious and proud each and everyday. You're doing great things for yourself.

What are you doing  differently this time when you reach the three month mark!
Helena, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
3 months, 3 months!! I want to tell anyone who'll listen to me!! It's a pity I can't tell the guys at work because I was a closet smoker, no-one at work knew I smoked. I'd sneak out for coffee (using the excuse that the coffee machine at work was awful) and I'd hide around the corner and smoke. So..even though I can't tell anyone at work I can tell friends when I get to that important day....a Saturday! that's the day I allow myself to fell victorious and proud. Then I go day by day, I don't want to get ahead of myself because I still have that fear of failure at the back of my mind. Normal I guess, I've stopped so many times over the years that some people think it's just a matter of time! N.O.P.E., not this time! Not today anyway!
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well deserved reward Talulha!

It is completely normal for you to get emotional.  This is a big deal!  It is an incredibly hard journey with incredibly important results and you are doing it!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!

Ashley, Health Educator
I just bought me the biggest reward ever!!!!!!!!  for not smoking for 2 months and nearly 3 weeks I bought myself an iPhone!!!! I'm now spending all day playing and downloading things, I don't have time to think of anything else

I'm so proud of myself, I  still can't believe I've gotten this far, and it's all down to the help from this site, from the educators when I just thought I was pathetic to peteg, who keeps me laughing and not grumpy when I start to debate in my head. Thanks to you all, to everyone who thinks they can't do this......it's not true, you can, come back here often, even if you sometimes feel you have nothing interesting to say (like me), just reading and working through things keeps you sane. I know this sounds ridiculous but I sometimes feel quite emotional and ready to cry when I think of how far I've come, I never thought I could do it. I felt this way when I got to 7 days and its just continued, thank you all so much.

Lula xxx
13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Seniora T, you SO rock!!
If a "friend" gave me a cigarette today, I'm not sure I'd be as stalwart as you!
You took a test and ACED it -- time for a major fiesta!  That is a HUGE benchmark for you.
You are chanelling Nancy Reagan -- "Just say no."

peteg
13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Talulha,

Thats wonderful that you didn't smoke!  That shows alot of strength on your part.

Focus on the positive of the situation. Taking the cigarette was most likely a learned reaction. You've been so use to doing it all your life, so its like an instinct, you do it unsconsciously. But you quickly realized that you had taken the cigarette, and gave it back, because you don't want to smoke. It could have been really easy to smoke it, but you didn't. So be proud of yourself. I believe one day, you won't even think about smoking.

Members, can you share your experiences?

Helena, Health Educator
I found out today that I can never ever drop my guard, there I was chatting to a friend in the street and she offered me a cigarette, without even thinking I took it, my next reaction was to give it quickly back as if I'd been burned. I felt a mixture of emotions, so pleased I didn't smoke but annoyed that I'd subconsciously  taken it. It's making me confused. It's now been 2 months, 1 week and 2 days of  hard cold turkey but I did it, so why am I still unconsciously wanting to smoke? Is it always going to be like this? It really p****s me off.
oh yeah Pete, before you know it there'll be a public demonstration in the Puerta del Sol (Madrid) to protest about the smoking ban and they'll be dancing flamenco!!

I'm now on 2 months today (60days), I just can't believe it! I've never reached this far ever without cheating! Here I am, no cheating, no smoking ( a little fatter but  I can deal with that!) and still taking it one hour at a time!!!!
I'm going to celebrate with a nice lunch in a nice restaurant, soon I won't have to go to the no smoking part as everywhere will be "no smoking" yipeeeeeeeee!

13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Uh Oh!  But what will they do when it rains?  In Spain?  Stay mainly on the plain?  Quit??  Now there's a thought!

How're you doing, Ms. T?  What are you, like on day 65 or something now??  You're a regular inspiration, you are.  How cool is it to be able to put a rose between your teeth whenever you want to, without first having to figure out what to do with the cigarette that's already there???

peteg

Reading this thread: