Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Messed up again

13 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lula  I like following your thread because it is inspiring! Good for you to get this far and feel like you would now feel weird with a ciggie in you hand - it's just not who you are anymore!  How great is that?  Too bad your friend is still locked into her addiction to the point that she feels the need to accuse you of cheating - but you know the truth and that is what counts!  Maybe she will find the resolve to quit and make her way here someday - it sure does help to share tips and support.  One more day smoke free here - and a good Valentine's day it is!  
13 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
to Nissala, Eya and Shevie, thanks so much for taking the time to reply, and it's so good to know that what I'm feeling is quite normal.

I'm coming up to my 6 months anniversary, incredible to think that I've come this far, I've never ever reached this! One of my friends accused me of cheating the other day and sneaking a sly ciggie because she can't believe I'm still not smoking!! I have to say that I got slightly annoyed at being accused of cheating but thinking about it I guess it's just a smokers panic, she wants to stop but is convinced it's impossible. When she asks me what's different about this quit in comparison to the others, after much thought, I couldn't say it was one concrete thing, it's a mix of different things. I don't feel my need to stop was any different to other times but I do think working through the SS programme helped me see a lot of things in perspective and also the horrible cold reality of what I was doing to my body and mind. I knew this before of course (all smokers do) it's just that seeing it in black and white and being really encouraged to see smoking for what it is somehow clicked something in my brain. I'm not saying I didn't suffer because I did, but the determination was different. I do so want to stay stopped and every morning I get up with the mantra of "I won't smoke today, tomorrow I don't know but I won't smoke today". I learnt this from one of my books, one hour, one day and one week at a time, slowly does it.
Happy Valentines to all of the non- ex- smokers in the world!!
Lula
13 years ago 0 97 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beautiful dogs, Talulha. 

Yes, what you are experiencing is perfectly normal and is the ultimate goal for a quitter.  Sort of sneaks up on you, doesn't it.  ~chuckle~

You will find that as time passes even these realizations that you are no longer thinking about smoking will become further and further apart.  Of course, that assumes you even notice the changes, LOL.  It just sort of fades away.
13 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Talulha
I read through this entire thread today - you have been on a wonderful journey, and received (and shared) some great advice and very caring support.  To be at a place in your life now where you are simply enjoying life without thinking about smoking (for the most part) is Great!  I hope Jules and you are right; that after hard work and time, this will become the norm!  You are doing so well & are a great inspiration :)  
13 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lula, I believe this is normal as I went through the same thing with my last quit.  The feeling is like you've never been a smoker and really don't even think about it anymore.  So you are not alone in this feeling. Keep up the good work! You are doing great!! :-)

Jules
Hi all, I haven't posted for a few weeks, hmmm things are changing a bit and I don't know if this is normal or not. I've started to not-obsess!! not obsess with stopping smoking or staying stopped!! it's really odd, over the last 5 months or so my priority has been to stop and to stay stopped, now I find myself just getting on with my life and that "stopping smoking" has kind of taken a back seat to my normal everyday life. I honestly don't think about anything to do with smoking much. Does any of this make sense to anyone? I find it just so different from say a month ago............anyone go through the same?
Lula
Been so busy lately that I haven't had to do anything, not even to post!! Strong as ever, here I am still not smoking!!! Getting Xmas out of the way has helped too, now that the festivities are over life is getting back into it's routine and strangely enough I'm starting to feel that part of that routine is not to smoke and I feel comfortable with this for the very first time. It does get easier doesn't it, I didn't believe that when people were telling me this early on in my quit but they're right...it does get easier. I guess the thing is not to get complacent, best to be on guard even if it's deep down in subconscious. Another week over!
13 years ago 0 331 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am very proud of you!  You will find that there will be some backlash with the new smoking laws but eventually it will die down and people will accept it and even appreciate it as time goes on.  I am speaking from experience as we banned smoking about 8-10 years ago now and you know what it's almost like you could never smoke in places like that.  Isn't it nice though that you don't have to be one of the people complaining about the change since it doesn't even impact you anymore in a negative way!  Yay to Spain for doing what's right!
Hi there, well, my first smoke free New Year, quite an achievement for me. I didn't find it a problem, a little thought now and again but nothing major at all.

Today is also the day when the new no-smoking law comes into effect in Spain, no bars etc, the reaction has been fierce but I expect it'll die down in a couple of days. It'll be so nice to have a coffee in a café and not have to worry, I also think it'll help a lot of people who want to give up.

My brother in law stopped smoking yesterday and logically he's finding it tough,  he's going the cold turkey route (the same as me) and he's struggling but we've spoken this morning and he's a little calmer. It's a shame that SSC isn't in Spanish too, (he doesn't speak English) but I'm translating for him and we're going to work on his steps later. It's good for me too, a good reflection time.

I don't smoke, that's my new answer to anyone who offers me one! Only a short time ago I was very hesitant with my answer, it was like I didn't consider myself to be a non-smoker but now I'm starting to feel different, I feel more sure of myself and a little more confident.....good eh!
have a good no-smoking week!!
Lula

13 years ago 0 331 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow!  That is GREAT news!  Not only were you an inspiration, now you can also be a supportive non smoking family member!  I am so happy that things are working out this way.  And yes, I agree.....you look weird with a ciggie.....it's like walking around with a death wish hanging out of your mouth.  I think it's similar of someone going from bleach blond hair to black.  Yes, at first it is quite the adjustment and people may think you look weird or it doesn't suit you, etc but after a while you and everyone else just get use to it and then that becomes you and no one notices that there was ever a difference.  Have a super awesome day! 

Reading this thread: