Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Messed up again

13 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone how's it going?
I'm looking forward to a nice quiet New Year's Eve, we'll be on our own so it'll be nice to only have to worry about eating the 12 grapes on the stroke of midnight! It'll be my first smoke free New Year for over 35 years and I'm staying strong.
A curious thing happened yesterday, I got a call from my brother in law and he's quitting on Saturday. He said that he'd come to the conclusion that if I could stop then anyone in the world could! He said everyone was amazed but that I still looked "weird" without a ciggie in my hand! I actually think the opposite, if I imagine myself with a ciggie in my hand I think I look weird! Anyway he's coming for coffee later so we'll be having a chat. I looked at my diary that I kep for the first 3 weeks and it was good to refresh my memory and also to see how far I'd come.

I'd like to wish everyone a happy, healthy and smoke free 2011.
see ya all soon!
Lula

13 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy New Year to the New Tallulah....you are on a roll.....Enjoy your freedom!

Keep the Quit,

Dave
  • Quit Meter

$50,489.19

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 19

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 331 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats!  You did it!  Looks like you want to be a non smoker bad enough to stand up for yourself against other smokers that are not as accepting as they could be.  It also looks like everyone still had a good time and it wasn't a horrible thing that smoking was done in the street.  This just goes to show you that the actual situation is never as bad as it seems when anticipating it and we can all adjust to whatever is put in front of us.  Sounds like you had a good time, your quit was protected and no one was severly negativly impacted by making them smoke in the street.  Maybe no one said anything this time but you better believe that at least one person was there admiring you and your quit and hoping, praying that they would be as blessed as you to be able to rid yourself of the dirty nasty slave.  Oh and as breather said, the committee is there to cheer you on not break you down so rejoice in your success and try and quiet the negative chatter.  You are as strong as you think you are......I really believe that.  Have a super wonderful smoke free day.....treat yourself in some way......big, small, short or tall.....whatever you fancy as you deserve a huge pat on the back!
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very good, Talulha! Be proud of yourself. It's great that you can think through the urges and protect your quit. I too am a fan of the Quit Meter. Feel free to post it so you can show off your stats!

Tiana, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

$79,472.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 10

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Lula  Excellent for you not smoking these last couple of days. You can bet that although the others haven't said anything that they have definitely noticed. And the chatter !! I call it the committee. Same old recording that skips and keeps replaying. Same tired old nonsense. It's the addict telling you that you can have a couple puffs with your wine. NOT. It's the addict telling us that something is wrong when you are doing well and that you're not doing well when in reality you are doing very well. It's the fly in the ointment. In time that will get quieter as well. Stay focused on other things. I'm rooting for you to succeed and I'm not surprised that you made it through without having to smoke. You've put a lot in and you'll get a lot out for your effort. The next season will be easier because this Christmas is behind us ( not that we want it to be over ) Keep a check on your quit meter ( freedom meter ) and watch your stats get better and better all the time. Excellent for you. breather Don
Didn't smoke!!!!! didn't smoke!! I'm so proud of myself....mind you I did find it a little difficult, more than I expected. I guess it was just past memories but I found myself wanting to sit down with a nice glass of wine and a ciggie for a break. I had to work extra hard to get rid of all the chatter in my head, it has proven to me once and for all that I can never ever let down my guard.  I honestly thought I'd cope with no problems at all but it wasn't as easy as I expected.

The dinner and the lunch went really well, people kept disappearing to the street to smoke but nothing was mentioned at all...not even how I was doing etc but I don't care because they could see that I carried on with my life as normal, that life can only be good not smoking!

Staying calm is good advice, it's so easy to panic, I've been on the verge a few times and the stopping, thinking, deep breathing and not wanting to throw it all away keeps me sane in those moments of madness when it would be so easy to give in.

Like you Breather I lost someone close to me too, it was my mum, she died 2 years ago of pneumonia. She was a heavy smoker and refused to give up saying she was too old to stop now. The sad thing is that she stopped 2 weeks before she died but only because she couldn't phsyically smoke, her body just couldn't take it. I'm doing this quit for me but somewhere in there is my mum, and I want to take care of myself so that my family and friends can continue to have my company as Natalie so rightly pointed out. I really want to do this.

I hope you all had a wonderful Xmas, I hope Santa brought some nice presents but the nicest present I got this year was the extra days added onto my life because I've quit.....good present eh!
love to all
Lula
13 years ago 0 331 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A very special Merry Christmas to you too Lula!  Breather, you are 100% right....being a non smoker is having the best life you will ever know.  Taking some time to reflect around this time is always important.  Since we all know what it is like to lose someone dear to us, we should strive to not have this be a reality for our loved ones.  We all need to take care of ourselves so that our family and friends can continue to enjoy our company.  Quitting smoking is the one most beneficial thing we can do to guarantee that.  Happy Holidays to all and much love. 

Natalie
13 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Lula and all. Yes the season is a time of reflection. My dad is the good looking guy in the avatar on the left. He's no longer with us and hasn't been for a good many years. I think about him every time I'm on the site and logged in. It's a good way to honor him I think. He was a heavy smoker and by stopping when he did I'm sure he added years onto his life. He inspires me to stay stopped and knowing what he overcame gives me the drive to know that I can do it as well. My first year was a regular roller coaster. The second a little more stable but still a coaster none the less. I'm convinced that anyone that puts their mind to it can stop smoking. We talk about what life was like as a smoker , what happened and what life is like without our drug of choice. To anyone who is early into their quit I'd say the most important thing is to stay calm and if the tension level is rising take some time out for reflection. By posting here I get to keep my quit one more day. We try to help the newbie navigate the obstacles and convey the addage that once a smoker always a smoker is no longer valid. The only thing that I can promise is that after a year you'll feel better about it and after 2 years it will be better than any life you've ever had up until now. I'll go so far as to guarantee that if anyone wants to start back smoking after 2 years that their misery will be cheerfully refunded. Stopping smoking is the most precious gift that you can give yourself. Guard it well. breather
Hi everyone, I'd like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and No Smoking New Year!!
I hope you all have a wonderful time with family and  friends.
 I'd also like to dedicate a little thinking time to those who are no longer with us......this is for you mum....see...I finally did it....it's been 4 months with no ciggies...and you thought I could never do it!!

I'm sending some special thoughts to Natalie, Breather and of course to the educators!!!
Also to those of you who are still in the thought process of quitting, think about it then do it! Jump in, you'll find you can swim! You might find you'll swallow some water along the way but you won't drown! Good luck!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good luck, Taluhla. Humans, we don't tend to like change if it affects us negatively! So, be strong and I think your new lifestyle will quickly be met with congratulations for your resolve and determination.

Tiana, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

$79,472.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 10

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked