Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Mind Games

17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much for talking to me. Please, keep talking to me. This is so hard and I know it'll take some time before it gets easier. I do choose not to smoke. It's my choice. So why do I feel like I'm being punished? That's another mind game, right? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 121 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5.58 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
Hi everyone. I don't mind telling you, I could shoot myself in the foot for EVER picking up the first cigarette. HA HA I quit on Feb. 14th. Just yesterday. I've heard people say in the past, just put cigarettes out of your mind. Okay, I try. Then I think to myself, "Am I thinking about cigarettes?....Yep, I'm still thinking about them.......Okay, how bout now?......Crap, I'm still thinking about them. ha ha I'm laughing but I'm serious too. How the heck do you get cigarettes off of your mind when you want one REAL bad!!? If I'm not thinking about them, I'm wondering if I'm thinking about them. ha ha ha ha Geesh!! Tutti
How in the Sam Hill do I get my meter up? I have it downloaded, it's on my tool bar, and I'm watching it but, when I post a note my stats don't show. I appreciate your advise. I'm having a hard time here because we have a home based business which means, I'm on the computer a lot doing book work. That happens to be the time when I want to smoke the most. I can't get away from the computer for long so, I'm trying to figure out what else to do to get my mind off of smoking.
You guys are great for me. Just the thought of you all taking time out of your day to spend with me makes me feel incredibly special and so, so strong. I've discovered that I can't use nicorette gum or the lozenges because they contain sugar and, I'm diabetic. So, I'm going to lean on all of you and so far, you're helping me in so many ways and I can't thank you enough. I remember when I was diagnosed with diabetes just 4 years ago. In shock of learning that I had developed this disease and knowing that my life was about to drastically change, A brother of mine told me, "Diabetes doesn't have to be a death sentence." That statement has always stuck with me and I went into managing my blood sugar and diet with that thought in mind. On top of all of your help and support, I've decided to put that same thought into action when it comes to my quit. Giving up cigarettes isn't a death sentence but, smoking them sure is. Diabetes changed my lifestyle completely. Of course, I can't have sugar but I never was a big sweets eater. I'm your biscuits, potatoes, and gravy kind of gal and that was the problem. So, here it's been 4 years and I haven't eaten a biscuit and you know, I adjusted to that. I adjusted to the diet. I had to if I didn't want Diabetes to be that death sentence. I know, with your help and support, that I can adjust to my life without cigarettes. I'm trying not to over think things each time a craving hits. I refer back to your posts and I keep my thoughts brief but encouraging. I won't say this is easy but, I know too that the truly wonderful things in life don't come easy. I'm on the road and I know all of you are walking with me. What a comfort!! Thank you all so much. Love and God Bless, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 147 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5.58 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
Dear ImAllClear, I thought about some of the things you mentioned just an hour or so ago. I didn't think about moving my desk and computer and that's a great idea. I thought about thoroughly cleaning the office and carpets. Even taking down the curtains and washing them. Then lighting some candles, spraying carpet freshener everywhere and having the whole place smelling so nice and CLEAN. Thank you for the pointers and I'm going to get busy doing just that...disassociating myself from any and everything that reminds me of cigarettes. I appreciate your help so much. Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 125 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5.58 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 135 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tutti, I thought the same way too, if I wasnt thinking about smoking I was thinking about thinking about it.. I did alot for the first few days then gradually the thoughts just are almost gone.. After the first few weeks I would stop and think, HEY, I havnet though about smoking all day and I would be so happy..lol..For me the thoughts get less and less but they have never gone away.. But then again Im only on day 40..Maybe another 40 days from now I wont even think about it at all [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/9/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 586 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $292.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tutti You have already come a million miles, because you recognize that this is a mind game...And sadly for us all we have played it with ourselves for years...I do not know of a way to consciously stop thinking about any thing on the planet...As you correctly indicated. once you think of a thing you are thinking of it... Try very hard to reframe your thoughts about smoking...See it for what it is...a destructive and horrible force in your life...Its much the same process humans use to heal a broken heart...Once a relationship is over (if you are the one being left) you will grieve, you will cry and you will find reasons for that which is gone to return...Believe me I know, I am the king of broken hearts... Once that process is finished you will need to reframe the relationship...We begin to realize that no matter how intimate, how deep or how soulful the joining was, it is not the only possibility for a beautiful union... There are statitically speaking any number of people with whom you can find love, hope and contentment. This takes place over a long time...For some it is months for others many years... Use your immagination here and start to associate cigs with disease, stench and really bad breath...Slowly these images will take root in your subconscious and eventually it will make it easier for you to deny your body that which it associates with reward and well being... I hope this makes sense to you...It is something that I have to practice daily... Stay strong, you are beautiful for starting down this road... nonic
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Tutti, You are Very Brave going Cold-Turkey, Hope you are braving this 3rd day well smoke free. Computer is my Hot Spot as well... I chewed on Straws I chewed regular sugar free gum I ate "Chocolate" ummmmmmmmmmmm I drank bottle after bottle of water I got up and did something else as a diversion briefly. I looked at my reminder post its..."I am a Non-Smoker (mentally patting myself on the back)" I kept reminding myself...kick the nicotine out of your system...its easy only 3 Short Days, "and then, My Everloving Ego...you can work on those habits...that trigger your mind into thinking it needs nicotine..and lose this filthy habit once and for all". [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,331 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $218.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
p.s. spend one smoke-free moment getting your meter up and running. it helps :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 488 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $240 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Tutti - get a life (just kidding)! It all takes time. That's the answer. A good saying around here is that it will all click for you on a Tuesday. Not sure which one, but a Tuesday. Meaning that there is no answer, really. Try not to ask yourself "am I thinking about a cigarette? oh, there. now I am", rather try wondering "what can I do with this smoke-free moment"? Keep on asking that until all the smoke-free moments add up that you've spent doing things other than smoking. Then look back and ask yourself "now, when was the last time i thought about a smoke"? Someday, maybe on a Tuesday, you will find yourself not able to answer that question. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 488 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $240 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10

Reading this thread: