Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,800 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MANA MARIE, mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO

Starting Over Again

18 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lucy - First off - congratulations on taking the step and quitting. That itself is a great accomplishment. I also have been dealing with some significant depression issues. I certainly know what you mean when you say you have this time on your hands! Sitting at home with nothing much to do except thinking about smoking is tough. It's what has scared me the most whenever I would think about quitting. For me, for right now, I just have been trying to find things to take my mind off it. I stocked up on a bunch of DVD's to watch. A lof of silly stuff from the discount bin - but it's something to do. I also try playing some computer games here and there. Someone else mentioned a treadmill. I found one for under a 100 bucks in the paper used and bought it. I've been trying to be good and use it everyday. I don't always succeed - but it's there! :) Basically - it's anything to pass even just 15 minutes. A few sets of 15 minutes and suddenly Hey! It's almost another full day gone. Woo Hoo! I would also definately suggest getting a job ASAP. Even if it isn't something glamorous - just something relatively low stress. I know I would lose my freaking mind if I was at home all day. Kudos to you on making it this far already! Good luck and stay in touch! Bingo - halfway through the first week
18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lucy, Welcome back, there is no time like the present to stop smoking. I hope that the patch will work for you. When did you start wearing the patch?? Yes, depression does hurt and my hand is extended out to you. Stay strong and read and post. Drink lots of water, it also helps to do some kind of exercise, maybe walking. Try to do something everyday. I used the patch and did really well on it. I used it for 10 weeks just like it said to. I had some cravings on the 7mg and after I took the patch off I had more. But nothing like I hear people talk about being in HELL WEEK..... :eg: I still have craving but only in a situation where people are smoking and I can't leave. Lots of people go cold turkey, I knew that I couldn't do that, and some people seem to think that the patch is cheating. Well, I don't everyone is different and every quit is different. So, Lucy just go with the flo and do what ever it takes to hold on to your quit. This journey is not an easy one, there are all kinds of bumps and curves in the road. But we have to learn how to drive right through them. First we start with baby steps, and it might be a second or minute at a time. Start learning how to breath, take long deep breaths and then blow them out very slow, do this several times. It sound so simple but it really helps. Believing that you can do this is a major step. Just keep saying I CAN DO THIS, I CAN DO THIS!!!! Attitude has a majoy role in this quitting, try to keep a good attitude. Rewards are very important, and they don't have to be major things. Just a simple thing like going to a movie, going out for ice cream, a new hair cut, but at each milestone do something special just for you. I don't care if it's 1 day or 5 days, anytime that is special for you. We will be watching for your posts and watching you grow. So hang tuff because that is what it will take. Be blessed, SUNSHINE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 107 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,820 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $374.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
  • Quit Meter

$230,212.13

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6404 Hours: 12

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Lucy, Thought I would check in on you, how are you? keep in touch and let us know how you are doing... Be blessed, SUNSHINE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 109 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,854 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $381.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
  • Quit Meter

$230,212.13

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Lucy, Good to hear from you, you have your chin up, now hold you head up high and continue on this journey. We will all be here to help you in anyway we can. So keep posting and reading, it will help soooo much. Have a wonderful smoke-free day!!!!! Be blessed, SUNSHINE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 109 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,862 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $381.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
  • Quit Meter

$230,212.13

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Lucy, Good to hear from you, I'm sorry that your are still not feeling well. When you quit smoking it feels as though you have lost your best friend and you don't know what to do. You said that your job might be the problem for your depression, how about a change. Is that possible??? You're right Lucy the choice is yours, and taking those little baby steps is what leads to larger steps. I'm so glad that you feel good about coming to SSC for help, all you have to do is ask. We are here 24-7. Do you have anykind of hobby that you like to do. Are you doing any walking or any kind of exercising? That helps with depression, I have a treadmill and I try to use it everyday and sometimes two times a day. It helps to get the blood flowing and I have more energy. Do you have a good friend that you can talk to? Be sure to tell your Dr if things get worse. And be careful with your meds. Stay close to the site and post when you can. If you see a topic that you thing you would like to respond too, do it. Let us hear from you and I hope your days will get better soon..... Blessings sent your way, SUNSHINE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 108 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,844 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $378 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$230,212.13

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Go for it Lucy, the most important thing is that it is your choice to stop and not anyone else's. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 79 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 949 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �197.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
18 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lucy...Good for you....GOOD for you!! You have the desire to be free from nicotine!!! That is the most important part to develope!! Get educated about your addiction....sounds like depression plays a role....don't let that be a hurdle, let it be a stepping stone. You already show an enormous amount of courage because you've asked for help, sought help, taken advice, and reached out. Doing exactly that helped me kick a 23 year addiction...and THIS place. I stayed here instead of smoking. Nearly constantly at first. I recommend asking questions, reading and posting. You can't smoke and type...not well anyway.... so use this place to distract yourself. And learn. And teach. Thinkin Pink, Leah [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/22/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 247 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,733 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $741 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
18 years ago 0 989 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good advice you have gotten thus far. Welcome back. This is doable if you want it bad enough, and it sounds like you do! I chain smoked too in anticipation of my quit last year. It is really tuff to stop, but there is really NEVER a good time. If not now, when? Probably better when you are out of work than when you are starting a new job. At least for me it would have been cause I spent the first week sobbing in bed. But one year later, I look back with pride and gratitude for the folks here and am overjoyed with the freedom. Stay close to this site. It is a lifesaver for the rollercoaster ride on which you are embarking. But OH OH so worth it! Best wishes! Carole [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 374 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,353 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1309 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 52 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
  • Quit Meter

$795,795.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5690 Hours: 6

Minutes: 18 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1073 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back Lucy! Please stay in contact with you doctor during your quit. If you're already taking meds for depression, they may need adjustments as you go through your journey. Stay close and lean on us! We CAN do this! [color=Purple]~lbugg~[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 403 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 21,361 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2659.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
  • Quit Meter

$52,860.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 925 Hours: 7

Minutes: 28 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lucy you and I seem to be at the same stage. I was around about Jan to March of 2005 and then had a total relapse and went back to smoking. I got an email today, just a blank one, no message from this Smoking Centre and I think it was a message for me to start again. Looking at the other posts, I am dreading going through Hell Week again. What I do know, is that this site helped me enormously and I guess will do so again. so to anyone who remembers me, maybe Biggles is Back!!
  • Quit Meter

$150,064.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5690 Hours: 6

Minutes: 18 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: