Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,679 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD, kybrg

Billiard Halls and Girlfriends

17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Neek....I'm not a whole lot of help...my quit was for me and for me only....so when I'm frustrated/angry it's usually directed at the damn addiction or at myself for getting me to this place in the first place. (Admit it....don't you wish you just never started smoking in the first place?) I got lots of flack from some people in my life when I smoked .... but, after the initial excitement, I usually only get the accolades (is that how you spell it?) here. As for trust, I was in a relationship with an alcoholic in the past. I could not understand why he didn't just quit (when it was ruining every aspect of his life)...I could quit drinking anytime. It wasn't until I accepted my own addiction to cigarettes, that I could comprehend why he was unable to quit and why it was so hard for him. Wish you the best...Hope the day comes when this quit becomes yours! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 65 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,318 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $325 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I thought not mate but it must get better for us both with timekeep intouch Thanks Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 99 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,988 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �519.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
111 days mate how does it feel? Seriously I AM interseted in where you are at with cravings etc because I am not done with it yet! Thanks Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 99 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,988 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �519.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
Thats some girlfriend you have there mate look after can I borrow her when I need a good telling off! Tell her to keep nagging we need it! Phil XX (For her cos she cares about you) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 99 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,988 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �519.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think the way you feel TheNeek is a prime example of how anyone feels that is not quitting for themselves or that has let the junkie convince them that they quit for someone besides their self. Anyone that really does not truly want to quit smoking for themselves isn't going to be happy about their quit and will probably grow resentful. And the junkie will feed on that resentment. IMO, you should re-commit to your quit with a different attitude/perspective ... one based on you wanting to quit. Trust that that is what will be best for you, your quit, your girlfriend and your relationship. Wishing you the best, Free [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 187 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,624 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $748 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$54,524.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5958 Hours: 12

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
No one in my life remembers my 'quit smoking' milestones. Heck, I don't even remember them. My husband who quit the same day I did does not remember our milestones. I just past 6 months and had it not been for a 'quit buddy' emailing me, I would have missed it altogether. While I think that celebrating milestones is fun and all and I certainly appreciate all the kind words sent my way ... I am busy celebrating EVERYDAY NOW. And not because I am not smoking but because I am finally truly LIVING! Perspective really does make a huge difference in life. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 187 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,631 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $748 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
  • Quit Meter

$54,524.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5958 Hours: 12

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hmmmm.... Interesting. Your words "It's just very frustrating that my life seems to have made a turn for the worse since quitting" seems to hit home. My quit was for me. Not for my wife that still smokes, or my son that is a big athletic kid. Not because of the expense either. It's something that I wanted to do. Because my wife still smokes I don't get all that warm fuzzy stuff others get. Its all self-rewards for me. 2 months after I quit I was diagonsed with a Brain Tumor. Had that removed June 1 and was layed up almost half the summer. Still dealing with the sleepiness from that which the Doc says may never go away. Insurance only will cover a small percentage, leaving me with about $60,000+ on my own. I don't hit the bars anymore because I know what can/will happen. Life is no picnic. You are right. Your brain is depressing you... giving you an excuse to smoke. Course, if you smoke you lose your girl that can't relate to how you feel because she never smoked. Hang in there man... it'll get better. Time is what you need. N.O.P.E. Ron [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 248 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,700 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1674 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
17 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Actually Neek, I get it....for different reasons. I quit only because a person can't smoke anywhere anymore- smoking has become such a socially abhorable thing that I just got tired of feeling ashamed...standing in the cold, the rain, or some pathetic place reserved for smokers . and...eventually it will hit the pool halls too, believe me. Of course there are a multitude of good reasons to quit smoking...but for me it was that. For you, the love life. I really wish our collective governments would demonize the makers and distributors of cigs versus those that smoke them....but this is how it is. I still crave...but what's the point? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 270 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,820 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2430 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 44 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning Neek. Maybe thinking about it differently might help. You said you quit for your girlfriend. Really?? You obviously love her, and vice versa, but you remain quit, for what? For her? You remain quit so she wouldn't be mad at you? Look deeper. Your addiction will win if this quit is not based on YOU. Don't you feel great? Don't you smell great? Isn't it nice to do something without taking a smoke break? Isn't is wonderful not to freak out if you ran out of smokes, or can't find them? Isn't it nice to have control over your life and choices? Isn't it nice to take a nice, long, deep breath in without coughing? And I know it is great to laugh hystericaly without choking......... Think of the benefits that you have gained by quitting. You know they far outwiegh the other. The only think left with smoking is your memory. You are romanticizing your old habit. You are remembering the times you were so worked up and having a smoke gave you that aaahhhh feeling. I know. We all know. We all remember that feeling. But we soon forget the bad ones. What about remembering those times in the pool hall when you overdid the smoking, and the next day woke up wheezing with a tight chest. I remember those times very well. I over-smoked a lot. I remember waking up with that tight chest feeling..... I remember lighting up another right after I put one out just because someone else lit up in front of me. I would be drinking, and noticed I smoked too much. I remember late night, buzzed trips to 7-11 to buy more. I remember not being able to go on field trips with my daughter because I was afraid of what other parents would think of me. My smoking addiction came before anything and anyone. It was top priority. That really sucks. In order to remain quit, you MUST want to quit more than you want to smoke. Without that, you will let your nicodemon in and manipulate your way of thinking. He WILL enclose you into your own hell, a world back to addiction.......... Turn your quit around. Now. List your reasons of quitting. List the benefits of quitting. Fake out your mind if need be. But do this for youself. Your gf can be your inspiration for remaining quit, but not your reason for remaining quit. You know that. Take a step back and think about it. Bei
17 years ago 0 425 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Neek, why don't you take your girlfriend out on a nice dinner or something to celebrate the fact that you didn't smoke when you went out? Surely she can't believe you were smoking if you you take her out to celebrate, and it would also be a very nice award for you! You are doing great, friend! [IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/carinaryan/7flow.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 266 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,997 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1197 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8

Reading this thread: