Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

P90x

10 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks guys, well it appears that the gym has become the new nightclub. Our gym is filling up with young people now, almost comical on how things changed from sitting in a smokey bar to chatting with people while on the treadmill. :-)
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi John.in.NC, 

What creative ways to stay active and healthy!  Wishing you continued success in staying quit and achieving your health goals. 
Vincenza, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good to see you again. So good to know that you are continuing in good health. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,361.30

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 597 Hours: 18

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Just joined a gym, I have been doing this workout with my wife Susan where we do line dancing with some plyometric moves to it. In 60 minutes we burn a TON of calories like 700-800.  Then follow it up with a shake for a light dinner.
Weight has been coming off but I need to watch my portion sizes. So far so good. My doctor said my heart has been showing significant signs of improvement.

On the lighter side, we adopted 2 kittens so been chasing them around the house too.

Oh and thanks to the SSC support team in helping me be able to log back in, it works now!

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey John!!!

Glad to hear that you are still alive and doing well!  That was a very informative story and one that I will remember if I start experiencing any of those symptoms you described!  Maybe someone else here will benefit from your story, too!

I had a bout with vertigo a few months ago and called my neighbor who is a Physicians Assistant.  After describing my symptoms and family history of heart attacks, she said, "If you were my brother I'd tell you  GET  TO  THE  E. R. !!!"  I thanked my new "Sister" and left immediately for the hospital! 

Thanks for stopping by!  Say hi to Sue for us!

Jim

• Quit Meter

$44,002.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1053 Hours: 4

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
John!

I am so glad to hear you are ok. Wow, thank goodness for the internet.What a story...I have probably looked at those pictures 5 times now.

Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

Take good care of yourself.

Ashley, Health Educator
Interesting that I found this thread still here.
Just an update on me and where I have been.

In May 2009 I had a heart attack while on vacation and at my parents house in Florida.

I wasn't feeling well that afternoon, I was a little out of breath and had severe heartburn and some minor back pain starting at around noon that day. Picked up some antacid and thought it was helping.

I felt extremely warm but being in Florida I figured it was just the humidity.

That evening my heartburn and back pain was getting worse, very bad and still felt hot and crampy. I felt a little nauseous and really out of breath from just walking to the bathroom. It was an unusual feeling, I felt like... doom. Not sure why but I knew something was wrong.
If I tried to lay back in bed flat my back pain would be rather severe, no chest pain, no jaw pain. But I did remember feeling like my left arm was swelling. I removed my watch.

Still could not sleep. Sat up and logged into an online MD website.  I entered the symptoms, the website replied back with:
CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY
I said to myself, I must have done something wrong and clicked Start over.

I entered the symptoms again, pain in back, arm, heart burn  etc.
Same results
CALL 911

So I said maybe I should take an aspirin just in case. Sue handed me a 325mg which I swallowed (not knowing I was supposed to chew it and hold it under my tongue)

I went to another website and started entering the symptoms again... Now feeling really awful I took another swig of Malox now feeling like I am going to puke, I was cold sweats nauseous, and went again to the bathroom. I then washed my face and tried to cool myself off with a damp facecloth then was hit with severe pain that brought me to my knees! I gasped to Sue, Call 911 NOW

The Fire Department and Rescue showed up in like 3 minutes, their station was only a block away from my Parents house.
The put the probes on me and in 30 seconds told me I was having a heart attack and needed to take me to the hospital right away.

They put me on Oxygen, gave me Nitro and started an IV.

I arrived at the hospital, they had just gone though a new review of heart procedures so did everything like clockwork. The cardiologist was there in 10 minutes and what seemed like only 20 minutes  from when Sue called 911 I was getting prepped for the cath lab.

I had a full and a partial blockage in my Right Coronary Artery and a 70% block in the same bundle.

Here are the screen shots from the cath lab as they were clearing my blockage.

Before

After

I just wanted to post this to let you know that symptoms are not always textbook. Sometimes you need to as the hospital says be safe not sorry and leave the diagnostics up to the experts.

I ended up having to go back to the hospital again for another 2 stents, now with a total of 4. Going back to my exercising but need to do it very gradually.

See you guys around
John

13 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey guys, a little update. The group at work has now moved into a program called "Insanity". The name in itself should tell you that it's crazy hard.
So, I now head home and work out with Sue in our living room every other day to Gilad on Fit TV.

We actually re arranged our living room to make it a Living room / Gym combo.

Haven't lost anymore weight but feeling and looking better than every.

Special thanks to the SCC and all its members for helping Sue and me quit smoking and getting our life back in on track!

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/3/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 1208
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 37,448
Amount Saved: $6,553.40
Life Gained:
Days: 197 Hrs: 4 Mins: 16 Seconds: 58

13 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks guys. I have lost a few more pounds and according to my scale, have lost a lot of fat content.
Still plugging away at it. Now doing the Gilad Total Body Sculpt workouts and an occasional P90x.
Also started metal detecting, to get more and relaxation. It is is more fun than I thought.
I will still pop in here from time to time, by the way. I never think of cigarettes anymore and haven't for some time now. I no longer consider myself a quitter or even a former smoker. Just consider myself a Non-Smoker now.

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/3/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 1068
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 33,108
Amount Saved: $5,793.90
Life Gained:
Days: 174 Hrs: 8 Mins: 16 Seconds: 34

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations John!
It is good to know that you are doing fine and losing weight like crazy!
I know you will be 30 pounds lighter in december!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 388
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,820
Amount Saved: $582.00
Life Gained:
Days: 45 Hrs: 13 Mins: 46 Seconds: 53

Reading this thread: