Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

340 not smoked-5 lbs gained

16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jamadian, Welcome to our support community! Congrats on 31 days, what an achievement! Thanks for sharing those great tips and please feel free to post anytime with support and knowledge. We are here to help assist you in any way we can :) Josie, Health Educator
16 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all - my name is Jamadian and I recently (31 days ago) stopped smoking for what I hope (know!) is the last time. I'm in a different situation because I have been on a weight loss journey most of my life - over the last 1.5 years I have lost 130 pounds and have about another 50 to go. I dreaded not smoking as I thought I would start gaining weight back, but fortunately that has not been the case - what has helped me has been always keeping something handy to chew on (sugarless gum, celery sticks) and something to do with my hands...even playing solitaire helps! And having an end focus in sight. I bought a bikini (first ever!) and it is hanging on the fridge door - now that's incentive! Hope some of these tips help you...and keep up the good work - congratulations for each and every day of not smoking. Jamadian [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/23/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 372 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $196.23 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 447 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jim, funny you should mention Easter Dinner. I was at a friends for Dinner and just could stand being in my restraints any longer and had to go home and put on the stretchy stuff. LOL Kelly, you were skinny and everyone always tells me I'm Skinny too but I like where I'm at. I am not about to buy all new clothes either. I have been working on longer times on the stationary bike and treadmill. They say that it doesn't just come off one place, the fat sheds evenly off your body so it just seems like it takes forever to go away. I realized this morning that I don't think about not smoking anymore, what I think about non stop in "NOT EATING" anymore. Ha ha Terry P.S. We all have great character by now after all this. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/17/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 370 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $55.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
16 years ago 0 1093 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
5 or 6 I would have been happy with. I was kind of skinny to begin with, according to my friends and family. 20 is a little much. Terry! I didn't say I looked bad! But, it would be nice if my clothes fit! I refuse to buy a whole new wardrobe. I have two months before it gets warm enough here to commit to the summer clothes completely. My goal is to lose at least 10 of the 20 gained by June. For me, that means working out every day that I can (which has been about four days a week), omitting Pepsi and mexican food from my diet, and watching what else I consume. All things I've never in my life had to worry about. New experiences build character, right? ;) :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 213 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,390 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,246.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, 5-6 pounds is a great price to pay to be a non smoker. Keep up the great work! Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Terry, I've gotten my quit present, too! I feel really fat a bloated at times, especially after Easter dinner!!! I know I've gained at least 6 pounds now! I quit taking the Chantix over the weekend, too, and I've been doing pretty well, so far! I have a few emergency pills left that I'll keep around for a while, but hopefully I'll be OK! I got my bicycle tire fixed over the weekend, so hopefully I'll shed this "present" and get to feeling better than my old self real soon!!!! You're doing great, so don't get too stressed over your little "quit present"!!! Just enjoy it while it lasts!!! ;p Jim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 500 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $82.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
  • Quit Meter

$44,385.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1062 Hours: 9

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I guess I didn't see that you looked bad with your extra lbs either. I know we'll all even back out if we have an inkling of desire to do so. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/17/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 360 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $54.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
16 years ago 0 1093 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Be thankful for the five pounds, Ter. I'm working on 20 and wish I would have nipped it at five. You're tall and thin. Five pounds will be easy to take care of when your metabolism adjusts. When does that happen, btw? hmm... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 212 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,360 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,240.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
16 years ago 0 735 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Terry, You are looking fab! Quitting smoking is a very tough thing to do and if you can do that, you can certainly get a handle on your weight. (or rather not getting the love handles, LOL!!) You're doing great with the workouts and eating healthy. You will eventually hit a level of comfort. Just give it a little time, and now that the weather is getting warmer, it will be much easier to get even more active. BTW, being a nonsmoker is healthier than being skin and bones and hacking. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 247 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,410 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,185.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
Yeppers menapause! However, I started gaining weight after quitting smoking. I hear people talk all the time about how much better food tastes after they quit. I don't feel I'm eating more because it tastes better. Food always taste wonderful to me. I'm not even sure that I am eating all that much more. I know my metabolism is changing and therefore I am putting on the lbs easier. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing am battling it and I'm sure it will all even out. I am never going to be ready to settle for these few extra lbs. They don't feel good. Terry [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/17/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 360 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $54.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26

Reading this thread: