Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Irritability and Cravings

11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you both for your encouragement, good ideas and a few laughs along the way!  I'm down to 12 mg. NRT and started this journey at 44 so I'm happy.  My goal is to be at 0 in 6 more weeks.  I've been told that by reducing 2 mg. per week your body barely notices the decrease.  That I'm not so sure about because each time I reduce I'm a bit (well more than a bit) crabby for the first 3 days (but strangely only until about noon) and I want to eat everything that isn't moving! Ohwell, I'll get there I know it.

N.O.P.E. is such a great reinforcer! And publicly declaring it somehow gives it even more oomph.
11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Dori!!!

I think that when the time comes, you're going to be so committed, determined and ready to accept your freedom from nicotine that the nico-demon is going to be keeping it's distance from you!  It will be the time that you kick in your Positive Mental Attitude to the hilt and celebrate your freedom and declare to the world that you are a NON-SMOKER!  That PMA will take you a long way... along with always remembering N.O.P.E.!!! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 8

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
dori,

The detox from nicotine was the very last part of my path to quitting. There were many NRT's, hazards and stumbles before getting to zero nicotine. 

And from what I read from those who have gradually tapered off according to the directions on the box, that last step (detox) is relatively mellow. I've read some patch users saying that they didn't really notice the difference between the lowest does and having no nicotine at all.  

• Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 12

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Original Post by: Hot SiO2
Hey Dori!!!

You're doing great, so stick with the plan!  Workin's plan was absolutely bonkers and I was VERY concerned about her in the beginning!  I would never have done it her way, but as we say, every quit is different and all that matters is that we're all kicking ash!!! 

Jim
LOL. Yeah, my "plan" included several features that the "Dr." specifically did NOT recommend. 

Whatever it takes for each person is fine by me. Since others might have less of a need to defy authority than I do, following program recommendations might be a better bet for most. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Dori!!!

You're doing great, so stick with the plan!  Workin's plan was absolutely bonkers and I was VERY concerned about her in the beginning!  I would never have done it her way, but as we say, every quit is different and all that matters is that we're all kicking ash!!! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 8

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I love the concept of the Working On It Plan!  I just wish I could do it.  I think it's the same idea is getting into a cold lake . . . you can gradually acclimatize yourself by getting in bit by bit or you can just dive in and get over the shock.  Bottom line is, whatever works.  As long as we all stay smoke free we've won.
Just to be clear, I support your use of NRT's according to your plan. When I said, "not ready" for that step, I meant both in terms of what the recommended length of time is and in terms of how you feel about it. It was not an attempt to persuade you to drop the NRT's now. 

I only explained what I understood of the process so that 1) your experience will hopefully feel less crazy, knowing that others have gone through this and there is an explanation 2) you understand that the really nutty mood swings will calm down in the future. 

And I really should have this disclaimer on my posts: Please don't try the Working On It quitting plan at home.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi dori

Good for you for sticking to it!  Only you can decide what will work best for you.  I have been using the patch to help me quit.  I agree that it is prolonging the process, but you know what?  This is the plan I chose, and it is working for me.  I am down to 7mg a day this week, and plan on being nicotine free in 2 weeks.  I wish I could have quit cold turkey to get it out of my system faster, but I did not feel strong enough to get through it on my own.  There is nothing wrong with using NRT's for a little help. 
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dori,

Following the instructions on your NRT is the safest way to go.

You are doing great, just keep doing what you are doing.

Ashley, Health Educator
Wow!  Thank's everyone.  I can think I learned something from each and every reply. Talking with others who get it is so motivating to push on and it also makes you realize that no you're not going nuts, it's all a normal part of the withdrawl.

Working on it, I totallly get what you're saying on an intellectual level.  I'm just prolonging the misery by reducing the nicotione bit by bit  .  .  .  but I'm just too afraid to cold turkey it yet, even  though I'm down to only 14 mg. NRT gum a day.  I don't want to risk blowing it. as it is, about a week and a half ago I was very very close to buyong a pack. I used my whole aresenal of tools to avaoid it . . . distract, delay, avoid, etc.  It worked but I don't want to come that close again if I can avoid it.  At the current pace of torture I should be nicotine free in 7 weeks.

Reading this thread: