Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Talk To Me

16 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bear, Yes, I agree with everything you just said. BUT, for many (myself included), we need support from a group like this in order to be successful with quitting smoking. When the group goes from supportive to judgemental and impatient, I start to question whether or not it's really a support group. Second, you said that I'm here and am one of the people who others look up to. How do you think I got here? I struggled my way through and slipped many times. But for each one of my slips, there were probably 10 times that I either threatened to smoke or actually bought smokes with the intention of smoking them (but instead destroyed them). And for each of those times, there's at least 100 times that questioned my quit, doubted whether I could do this and contemplated going back to smoking. What I'm saying is that I'm no different than any of the ones who are struggling right now... except that I got through that rough time and don't doubt my quit anymore. But any of the ones who are struggling right now, who are on the fence about quitting, who quit but then went back to smoking but still post because they still want to quit... any one of them may very well be me in 2 years. But they won't be if they don't get the NON-JUDGEMENTAL support they need in order to quit successfully. Very few people actually believed that I'd be where I am today. But because of the few who didn't give up on me and supported me no matter what, here I am. And here they can be too... with the right support. Crave the Quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 755 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,875 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,118.15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You see Butterfly Swimmer your already here and one of the people that others look up to.I don't know how to make it any clearer the journey to a freedom from an addictive life is not one that only covers the freedom from smoking but the freedom from addiction :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 114 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,052 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,140.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
Well Said Unhooked But I can "CHALLENGED" them :eg: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 114 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,052 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,140.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bear,I hear you, buddy. I don't think you're talking about quitters or lurkers who might be uncertain or afraid & need a little extra support & tlc. Also not those who have slipped and got back on, but those who have given up easily & not got back on but still agonize over how much they want to. Those who ask for and receive that extra support & tlc but refute it all by "yabutting" everyone's attempts to help. The "quit quitters" or "non-quitters" if you will. That is frustrating & I have the same "fish or cut bait" attitude that you do. I have given this some thought and I feel that as frustrating as it is, we should try even harder with these people because they need to realize that we cannot set their date for them, we cannot do the program for them, we cannot quit for them, and in order for them to see that, they have to see us do everything we CAN do. That means we have to be there every single time they call out, we have to include them in our victories, celebrations & stumbles, we have to accept them as one of us. Hopefully then, these non-quitters will also see that each of us is ultimately responsible for our own quit & they will realize that they either must do it or become embarrassed at taking consolation for not doing it among all of us who are doing it. For anyone who has posted asking if Bear means them, he does not. You are all putting forth effort, you have all succeeded in spite of setbacks & difficulty & you all continue to succeed & make the choice every day. He is talking about those who seem to want it done for them or want their excuses for not doing it to be accepted as reasons. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 60 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,200 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $660.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
Geez I missed some posts. Penguin there were no attempt's my 1,rst quit was when I was 26 and lasted 5 years.My 2,nd quit was 1 1/2 years ago my 3,rd is right now. I smoke because it give's me pleasure I enjoy doing it. Blue Cloud I smoked for 50 + years and you are absolutly right don't bull **** me if your going to dance lets get on with the dancing. :gasp: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 114 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,052 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,140.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
I guess your post just struck a chord with me and rubbed me the wrong way because I see myself as one of the ones who you are referring to... or rather I WAS one of those people. And maybe you can antagonize one person into quitting, but you might scare 10 away and make them feel unwelcomed and like they can't reach out for support. Think about that. Crave the Quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 755 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,875 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,118.15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
16 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bear iam a Gemini also :) I have been here off and on for almost 5 years now, tho i had a long absence when i moved and was out of here for 9 months, and when i came back i flet like a step child here. But i have this place in my blood, it was here that i was supported and kept me smoke free, and i will continue to grab a few and support my little brains out, we save a few and loose a few but if we can just hang on to one and keep them smoke free we are doing a good Job and i think you are a very good supporter of this site :)And your a Bear and its ok to Growl, thats what bears do :) And iam missing mr. Ed Have a great day Tresa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1799 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 35,980 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,296.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 253 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
  • Quit Meter

$14,575.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 688 Hours: 11

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

You did make it you did stay the whole 9 yards and further and it was the people like myself and the other more compassionate people who got you here.If I can antagonise 1 person into quitting with my attitude then I have achieved my goal.I really did'nt try to upset you but Lady said you where kind of fiery ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 114 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,052 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,140.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
I do know you care, Bear. If I thought you didn't care, these posts would be A LOT harsher than they have been! :eg: I was definitely one of the quitters you talk about who was on the fence and didn't keep my resolve and determination to stay quit. But all it took was a little time and patience from the good people on this site. I just feel like we need to give these newer quitters who are scared, on the fence and are having issues staying quit the same support that got me where I am today. Without that support, I definitely wouldn't be here. I just don't want to discourage anybody from quitting or staying quit. I know how awesome it feels to be 2 years quit and I want EVERYBODY to experience this feeling one day!!! But they might not if they feel like they can't come here for support. Crave the Quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 755 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,875 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,118.15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
16 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have a question. At your 68 years of age, I'm sure this wasn't your first attempt to quit smoking. How many times have you tried and how long were your previous attempts? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
  • Quit Meter

$330,394.13

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6026 Hours: 15

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 27

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: