Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Question for long-timers

17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lookingglass - A meditation walk is amazing and it's powerful... it just takes you away and your mind, body and spirit are moving and working together with no thought at all.... Try it! Another thing that I love - is just slowing down EVERYTHING... Watch and feel the magic when you slow down each and everything you do... Slow down eating, talking, moving, waking up, bathing, - just slow it all down to a gentle and loving ballet... This may sound strange at first thought, but it is an amazing exercise and many of my clients have found an inner peace quickly with this powerful exercise... Be kind and gentle w/yourself right now - you're healing, my friend... Love and Light- Healer :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 394 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,824 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1832.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
17 years ago 0 382 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi LG, I'm nearly 2 and a half years quit now, as you know, and I can vouch for a great improvement in my lung function in the past year. 3 months into my quit I was diagnosed with early starter Emphysema. The doc. advised quitting smoking...tick in the box! Exercise...doing that and generally keeping fit...dog agility is a great fitness kick! I can walk and run so much more than before. Added benefits are also the increased oxygen to other parts of the body other than the lungs, so it's a general feeling of all over improvement. I feel so good now and cannot believe now that I allowed myself to damage my health by smoking for 40 years! I think you will start to see improvement soon, but at the start it's quite gradual. I'm enjoying watching your days mount up....you are doing great! NEVER LOOK BACK, THE FUTURE IS AHEAD!!! Love Lolly. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/25/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 859 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 30,081 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �4295 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 121 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
  • Quit Meter

$11,054.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 691 Hours: 15

Minutes: 18 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lookingglass, One of the best things is: Not smoking is helping you to not get worse. Definitely see your doc about the problem exhaling. I�m finding that the longer I stay quit, the better I feel. At one point I would have to stop and try to take a deep breath � just felt I wasn�t getting enough oxygen. Have no problems like that now! Not cravin', never cavin'. Hummy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/5/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 697 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 27,917 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4530.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 91 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
  • Quit Meter

$472,149.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5380 Hours: 15

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I used to go to the gym even as a non-smoker. I could never do cardio for very long because my heart rate would go soooooooo high and I would be completely out of breath...Now I can do an hour and I expect it will get better. (When I smoked, my cardio fitness kept getting worse despite going to the gym) I used to get awful coughs at least twice a winter. April is here and I haven't had one yet. If I seem to be catching a cold it is gone within a couple days. On the down side, after quitting for about one month, I discovered that my cat has extremely bad breath. I would never have known this because apparently I had lost my sense of smell. Looking forward to more health benefits as time goes on...Wishing you all the best too! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 203 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,078 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1015 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
17 years ago 0 1110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I went to Vegas a few years ago (still smoked then) and we drove to the Grand Canyon. We went way up in the mountains and I had such a hard time breathing in those altitudes. Last week we were down south and went up into the Smokey Mountains, I had no problem what ever. I think it gets better and batter with time. I also read that after 2 years of not smoking your lungs are back to normal. I do know that I feel BETTER than I have in years and it just keeps getting better. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 711 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,797 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5332.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 96 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"A meditation walk..." Boy, that sure sounds good to me right now. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 697 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $249.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lookingglass - I have always been blessed with good health, and at 55 years young, my health is really amazing ... I believe that de-sressing has made a huge difference in my health since I quit... but my health is good now - I can honestly say I can take the deepest breath I have ever experienced - noticed that about 3 mos into my quit, and it's about the same... BUT when I de-stress (meditate is what I do and a meditation walk) mu health inproves, so don't forget that part of taking care of self... Talk to your doc and if you're not doing any de-stressing, do it... it makes a huge difference on blood pressure, heart rate, breathing, etc... Blessings! Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 393 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,786 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1827.45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
Thanks, Danielle. I'll do that, probably next week. I get some time off at Easter Break. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 696 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $249.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lookingglass, This will no doubt improve as a result of quitting however we do recommend you share your concerns with your doctor to be safe. Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team
Thanks, all! I appreciate your willingness to share your experience. Changing, I'm not where I'd like to be. I usually get enough oxygen, but I can't fully exhale. Sometimes I'll be talking and I'll just run out of breath, preventing me from completing the sentence. I know this can be an early symptom of emphysema. so I was wondering if anyone else had experienced something similiar. I don't get winded from walking up the block... and my energy does seem to be increasing, but I am somewhat concerned about my inability to fully exhale. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 695 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $249.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18

Reading this thread: