Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Question for long-timers

17 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My blood pressure and heart rate are excellent now. It turns out I have seasonal allergies the symptoms of which I thought were caused by smoking. Wish I could think of more but instead here's what my optometrist told me while I was still a smoker (he didn't realize I smoked). I told him that it was getting harder for me to see while driving at night. His response was, "Well, at least you don't smoke - that can cause night blindness. Ha ha ha." :gasp: I thought about that a LOT before I quit. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 970 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 19,413 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4365 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 74 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
  • Quit Meter

$36,959.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 639 Hours: 4

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I didn't have the coughing up stuff.....and I really didn't see much improvement in my health till later on. My complexion became healthier looking....several people commented on it....but that was after I was quit for a year or more.....and my lungs ARE better.....I think it's a process. There are articles put out by the lung association and I think you continue to improve in that capacity for quite some time. go here and check out the pictures and the articles.....see if your motivation to not smoke doesn't increase?? http://whyquit.com/whyquit/ Katy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1914 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 76,583 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10909.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 252 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
  • Quit Meter

$158,942.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5342 Hours: 14

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
To be honest, I really didn't feel that much change in my lungs. I didn't have the coughing up junk and stuff. I guess if I was a runner I would be able to tell the difference. The one thing that sticks in my mind as a change I've felt is not being so tired all the time. I actually have energy now. Just so you know I smoked a pack a day for 25 years and I too would have thought I'd see more of a change. Sorry if this discourages you, but I think you wanted honesty. D2Q [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 308 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,172 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $924 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 29 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lookingglass - I'm reading between the lines of your question...I'm sensing some frustration and/or need for some motivation/hope. Are you going through a rough patch? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,313 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $240.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,300.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 5

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Lookingglass I have hiked as a smoker and now as a non smoker. I noticed I had more stamina after quiting the first month or two, however that was just the beginning. I think I continued to see improvement way beyond two months perhaps eight, ten, twelve and maybe still after fourteen months. Hope this helps. I'd say you only just begun but be active if you can and I'm sure that will help your lung capacity. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 435 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,838 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2392.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 80 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Some personal quit experience is needed here, please post yours :) Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well I have to say it was past 6 months when I woke up one morning feeling totally crave free... WONDERFUL FEELING! ALSO it takes a year to experience all seasons... I am just smelling my first Spring in living memory....... Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 237 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,222 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1244.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anyone who's been smoke-free for more than, say... 6 months who can tell me if they experienced benefits to their health later in their quits, that weren't apparent in the first month or two? In terms of lung function, has it been your experience that whatever benefit you experience in the first month or two... is basically what you're going to get? Or does that improve more with time? And to answer the mods, in advance, yes... I know that it's different for different people. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 684 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $249.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
16 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey BS, You are right everyones sypmtoms are different. Someones hair hurt.....Can you beleive that? I never had that, or the coughing, or noticed the complexion thing. It took me a while, but I realized I was depressed. I thought that was really weird because I didnt have anything to be depressed about! I felt good about life. But anyways, it is interesting to hear what different people experience which shows how unique we all are. Keep the quit BS, and I'll "see" you again, probably at our 3 year mark. Liven well, laughen often, loven much! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/10/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 734 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,694 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4763.66 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
16 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Personally, I never noticed any difference with my fingernails. They've just always been the same color. Or maybe I just don't look at my hands that much. But one thing I've noticed with the quit is that many people will have the same side effects of quitting while others won't experience them at all. Some have said that their complexions got better after quitting... mine got way worse. Others said that they had problems with constipation... I didn't deal with that. Some coughed up junk... I never did. So I think that the side effects that each of us experience (both negative and positive) are individual and unique to every person. Glad to hear your fingernails are back and are as pretty pink as ever! ;) Crave the Quit! [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/littlebutterfly2.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 693 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,349 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2862.09 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35

Reading this thread: