Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,531 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Group Discussion on Session 1

14 years ago 0 102 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Please, someone write back.
14 years ago 0 102 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

I dropped out for a bit.  I've been isolating like crazy (I won't even answer my phone) but I did finish session one.  I wish I was on the same track as everyone else, but I also know it was important to start here.  I noticed my depression is worse in the morning after I wake up, and the general feeling is 'I have to try and get through this day-- again.'  My mood generally improves as the day goes on.

I have taken 2 weeks off of work, and also work with very negative people.  I'm a therapist that works with domestic violence perpetrators, and also with child abuse perpetrators.  At my other job, I'm a director for a senior's program.  So I have tons of contact with people.  I use the same technique that Goofy uses-- the drive home is long and gives me time to change the channel.  But it still gets to me sometimes.  Especially during depression.  I understand what you said notaclue-- When I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the constant demands and neediness of others, it feels like there's nothing left for anyone else-- myself included.  I know one important thing that I need to start implementing into my program is some self care everyday.  Maybe a lot of self-care. 

The activity tracker taught me that I also need to reprogram my mornings a bit to get off of the negative track.  I'm not sure what that should be yet, but I'll get it figured out. 

It was helpful reading everyone's posts for this session.  Thanks for writing. 
14 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I keep my activity tracker in my purse, instead of printing it I wrote it down on a little notebook I can just pull out and jot things down on...this way when I go into my purse looking for something if the notebook is there, I can just remember to write in it. Actually, just the action of managing to keep track of something, when I ussually don't feel motivated to do anything, has been making me feel a bit happier / better about myself these last few days.

(sorry I haven't been posted more just yet, this past week has been just very busy but I have been reading and following along with everyone...)

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, you can print an activity tracker.  Keep it close at hand so you can track whenever possible.

Members, how do you remind yourself to fill in your activity tracker?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 194 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I read all session one, can I print an activity tracker?
14 years ago 0 194 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I have a question on session one.

What if you depression is in relation to bipolar disorder? I cant think of any one event that may have caused depression. There may have been many, but it was just all life, I guess. That make sense?

The more I think about it the more bipolar makes sense to me. I rejected it at first.

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I worked wth the public, I worked as a counselor, it was my job to hear negativity (and when I made a difference in someone's life).  But the negativity.  I made a ritual - I would take the time it took to drive from home to work to leave home at home; mentally prepare for the day; looking at my schedule (before I left).  When I left work, I would leave work at work and think about what I needed to do when I got home.  I call it changing the channels in my head - this also works for negative thoughts I have; I just push the remote and change the channels.  As long as you keep the batteries fresh in that charger; you can always change the channels.
I also tried to spend time each day reflecting on what went on that day; what went good, what went bad and what I could do to make things better. 
I may need to do these things again.  One time I worked 5 minutes from my house.  After having had a twenty-five minute drive for 12 years; I was having problems, so I drove around an extra 15-20 minutes with the sole intent of making the transition.  give it a whirl.  What have you got to lose?
14 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I deal with the public all day long. I would also like to hear how other people deal with the negitive people. I find I can be having a great day, deal with a less than polite person, and that will affect me for the rest of the day. I find that I end up bringing it home , and not wanting to be with anyone. This is not fair to my wife, kids or myself.
14 years ago 0 199 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
goofy,

Thanks for listening and for the sound advice.  I posted a longer response on the thread I started.
I am so glad that you are here in the group with us.

Sid
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Strength,  What popped into my head as I read your post was that you wake up feeling optomistic - but you hope you won't get depressed. 
I don't see those two as being the same goal.....does that make sense?

Yes, I feel renewed after sleep.  I am usually exhausted at days end from keeping up the mask (emotional, physical) and the rest gets me recharged for the next day.  Is the exhaustion causing you to focus on the negative.  Can you make a list of positive things that happened during the day too. 

I dunno, just some thoughts. 

How do I deal with negative people?  I avoid them.  I dont' like drama.  I don't need drama in my life.  My life has it's own drama and I try to negate that whenever possible.  So if someone has drama in their life my time with them is limited.  My definition of drama is always something going on bad, something "traumatic" happening, pessimestic, poor me, etc.  It may sound selfish but I have a girlfriend (love her for almost 30 years now).  She has tracked me down on business trips to tell me her and her husband's latest "major life crisis".  She has the same response irregardless of whether her dog runs away or something horrific (truly horrific) happens.  I just told her outright; I've got too much going on in mind to listen to your major life crisis.  I love you, we've been friends forever, but with my depression, I can't handle it.  I was honest, up front and she respects this most of the time (sometimes I have to reign her in).  Am I selfish?  I dunno. I am taking care of me.

Reading this thread: