Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,533 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Group Discussion on Session 1

12 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
* trees * ... the thought of trees dying... 
I've given up using the Activity Tracker 1 - 100 scale for mood.  This is just too fine a scale.  Right now, I'm just trying to connect basic mood with what I'm doing... the online mood tracker scale is simple and easy to adapt.  1 -10.  One means I'm feeling grand... 50 = not so great, but not terrible... 10 = oh, god... I'm in trouble.  Easy peasy. 

I also have given up printing out the forms to use... they keep getting lost under other piles of papers plus the thought of all those dries dying on my behalf just makes me more depressed.  Using my journal notebook with the heading written out and my new scale, write in time/date etc.  Keep it by my computer so I can't lose it.  Easy for me because I work at home and privacy is fortunately not an issue here.

What works (or doesn't)  for you? 
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Every little bit counts ~m!  Way to go. 

Vincenza, Health Educator
Oh... and I didn't read the whole thing today... I just finished the reading today... I've been working on it since the new site was put up.  I am finding it hard to concentrate and have only been able to read one page at a time...  
Sorry ... last post got cut off...

just was saying I'm working my way through Session 1 again and would not mind some company... if anyone is interested.   I had trouble finding the links to worksheets and tools on this newly designed web site, but found it on the "My Program" page to the left of the daily quote, it's blue tablet-like icon.  I did the reading and will start an activity tracker tomorrow... just reading through and having a plan of action has left me feeling calmer and more grounded today.
Original Post by: Ashley - Health Educ

Members,

Starting the Depression Center Program on your own can be intimidating. Although it is designed to be user friendly often people don’t know where to start or fear that they will be overwhelmed with information or homework. If you think that starting the program alone will be too difficult, why not join a group of others on the journey? Having the company of other people who are at the same place in the program may help you to feel like you are not going it alone. So, let’s begin to work our way through the Depression Centre program together, as a group.  Each week we will work on one session of the program. Members please ask questions, offer advice, and discuss your thoughts with others working their way through the same session. 

Session 1: This session gives us an overview of depression and cognitive behavior therapy(CBT).  The goals of Session 1 are:

• get a better measure of your symptoms
  • teach you about the symptoms of depression
  • discuss what we know about the causes of depression
  • introduce you to (CBT) and how the Depression Program is designed to help you
  • give you homework so you can monitor your symptoms
  • describe why doing homework on a daily basis is very important
  • help you get organized so you’ll get the most out of your sessions

Members, what did you learn from the session? What are going to be the main challenges to keeping track of your symptoms and activities?

Please share.

Ashley, Health Educator
I found this old thread helpful and inspiring today as I read through Session 1 again.  There is no "official" group walkthrough going on at this time,
13 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you both for your suggestions.  

I really like the idea that you use for assessing yourself and I think you are right, using 59 instead of 60 would seem silly and then I would be stressing about whether I felt I was a 59 or 63.  Increments of 10 seem much better.

I am surprised that I did not have an issue reading a lot of the actual materials and hopefully I do retain some of it.  I don't think I can shut off all noise, maybe as I get a bit further, but right now if I don't have lots of distractions my brain turns into "negativity mode" and I find myself in tears, but thank you both for the information.

Stacy

13 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cerrid,

Like Samantha suggests, I have to turn off everything (TV, music, etc) to actually be able to concentrate on reading. I think there is something about depression that makes it super hard to read and concentrate. I do the same as you (reread sections over and over). 

About the rating scale, I consider a zero to be feeling fine, no depression (not happy, just neutral). If am just a little down, I write 20. If I am really unmotivated to do anything and don't want to go anywhere, I write a 50. And if I can't get out of bed and feel absolutely awful and negative, I write 70. I have never written a 100, but I imagine I would if I started having the suicidal thoughts (that only happened before I started the program). I don't worry about the  numbers in between those numbers. It is just too complicated for me. So my scale is: 0, 30, 50, 70 & 100. I find that much more doable.  If you keep trying different things, maybe you can come up with something that works good for you.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cerrid,

There is quite a bit of reading involved in the program; however it is all important and helpful information. If you find yourself having a hard time absorbing the material, try reading for a few minutes and then taking a break. Sometimes having distractions can also interfere with the amount we absorb, if you can turn off any televisions and music while you read this may help you retain what you just read.

Members, what has helped you absorb information while working through the program?

What tips do you have for working with the rating scale? How has the rating scale helped you?

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am just starting the first session also and yes lots of reading, but not so bad.   I find that I used to be an avid reader, but no longer can as I can read the same page 3 times and not absorb any of what I have read, it is kind of frustrating.  

Anyway I am having issues with the rating scale also, I find it very difficult as I always do compare myself to everyone else and as much as I try not to, I still do.   I think about all I have and all that is good in my life and then have a hard time saying that my depression is at an 80 or 90 or even 100 no matter what I am feeling.

Reading this thread: