Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

This is huge and I doubt my strength

15 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
so, from your very first post I have wanted to just take your words and make them my own. I have so much trouble explaining what is going on with me but you do it quite "eloquently" and my feelings and behaviors seem painfully similar to yours. My mind has been attacking me lately (well for the last handful of years-- a drop in the bucket in terms of time in my world) about being alone. I never wanted to get married in my 20s and 30s because I kept thinking i would be able to fix myself and then be really deserving of a partner, a family. But now I can't even meet people or fake my way through conversations outside of work. My parents (I'm an only child) long ago became sick of my depression. I imagine when they think of me they roll their eyes. I can't think of anything I wouldn't do to have people in my life. I know it doesn't change the depression and often makes it even seem harder. But still. I don't know what the point of all of this is. I actually just wanted to say hello and perhaps cheer you on. Blarg. Next time I will, promise!
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brenna

Yes, I've kicked off the program, and I'm doing the activity/mood tracker.

What are my hobbies? My first reaction to that question was horror - I just do not give away that kind of information about myself. I'm secretive by nature (and that's just one of the things I so dislike about myself) and I won't share anything which is important to me, or which might open a window onto my soul, with anyone that knows me. I have interests, and things I do on a daily basis, which noone else knows about. I don't mean particularly shameful things, just routines (rigid routines sometimes), habits, favourite music, books, films etc. I don't want other people knowing any of these things about me. I don't want other people aware of me. I'm a bland, blank canvas for more capable people to paint their expectations upon.

Having gone through my internal routine of horror at the thought of giving away so much information about myself, I realised that I've come into this site and shared the most intimate secret - that I seriously contemplate suicide because I despise myself and despise my life and can't see it getting any better. It's the anonymity, the difference and purpose of the relationship that makes me able to 'vomit it all over the floor' (in the words of my counsellor). It was the same with the counselling. The fact that it was a therapeutic relationship, that she is not my friend or a member of my family, that I will never encounter her outside that situation, made me able to just let it all out. Poor woman, she got a lifetime's worth of bitterness and self-loathing thrown at her.

Back to the point - I really don't have any hobbies - I just can't apply myself constructively to any interests, which just serves to increase my frustration and contempt for myself. I bought a guitar early this year, intending to really apply myself and teach myself to play. I saved up for it, sold things to pay for it, and now it sits in its case mocking me, and I haven't played it for months. I don't dare : it's become a totem, a symbol of how I just can't stick at anything, can't concentrate or apply myself, even to something I am doing to relax. So my nice new guitar lives in the corner and mocks me. I have lifelong delusions of being able to write - but just can't discipline myself to produce anything but garbled pseudo-avantgarde rants about my state of mind. Therapeutic maybe, but frustrating, because I'd like to write something coherent that somebody else might actually want to read. I have a bunch of poems from years ago, which may be publishable, but I don't think I can handle the inevitable rejections that would come my way. Maybe that can be a future goal for myself, to reach a point where I have enough self-belief to submit my work for publication.

Your idea of taking up a class of some kind - that's a good suggestion but for me it's an impossibility, I'm afraid. I have a long-standing, deeply-entrenched hatred of social activities, meeting people, talking to people socially etc. I can't even fake it any more, so it's best for me to avoid any and all social contact like the plague. If I can't avoid it, I invariably end up with a severe headache and throw up. I don't 'do' friends and stuff like that, just immediate family, and as I said earlier, they only know the tip of the iceberg.

Heavens, look how I've gone on. Self-obsessed, indulgent, arrogant fool that I am.
byblion,  I like the term hair-trigger!  Uh, I have one myself.  I do hope you decide to smile, you'll surprise yourself and her at the same time.  Love that sense of humor you have as well!  I can't wait till the jokes pour forth. 

Oh, Mark Twain said, "Always do right, it will please many and amaze the rest".  lol, now if I could figure out what is right, I'd have it made in the shade!

Hi Byblion,

Congratulations on making your phone call.  I still have to work up courage to make phone calls, if I can send a fax or e-mail I'm all for that but unfortunately I have to speak on the phone more than I care to.  So congratulations!  It also sounds like you are feeling a bit better today.  Give your partner a smile - why not? It could be the start of a change in that relationship.  (As long as she doesn't actually faint and bump her head!) 

Hockey Time:  Sorry to hear that London does not have a team for you to support. I don't know too much about British hockey.  Same rules as NHL? What happened to London's team?  I did get to see Forsberg play once when he was with Philly a few years ago.  It's too bad injury limited him, but his play is held in high regard.  (I've become a hockey junkie - 15 mins to the Caps vs. Flyers preseason game!) 

One last word about intelligent and eloquent, I really think you're being hard on yourself.  Your intelligence shows in your posts.  Your eloquence is in how you express your feelings and thoughts, which have come through very well, and now the humor begins to show. So I'm unsure that your counselor was trying to big you up exactly, she has seen a different side of you than you normally project.  Meeting you socially or professionally may not leave me with that impression if I hadn't met you here first, but it doesn't mean it's not true.  What it means is that in those situations you are not as open and honest as you are here and you don't allow those things to be seen.  Accept that we view you that way here, trying to convince us otherwise is pointless now!!!
Hang in there byblion, everyone here is in your corner!

15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
byblion,   The jokes come out!! hahaha, I think you should send your partner a smile! It warms the heart. Congratulations on making a phone call - this is no easy feat. Many of our members struggle with phone calls. It can be really nerve racking to pick up the phone and involve yourself in a conversation with another individual.
  Have you started on the program yet? There's a great section on organizing pleasurable activities. What are your hobbies? It doesn't say in your profile. Maybe you could try to take up a hobby class?
   Keep the jokes coming!

Every day is groundhog day (same day, over and over and ... ).

Still, here in England it is 6 pm, and I just have one more hour to work, and then I take myself off home for ... groundhog evening.  TV, dinner, more TV, move to the PC and try to do something creative, give up and play a video game or go for a walk and wander the streets ranting at myself, then either go to bed too early or ridiculously late....Never mind, I did achieve something at work today - I made a phone call when I could have sent an email instead. If you knew me, you'd know that such a little thing is actually an achievement. Maybe I should celebrate it by smiling at my partner when I get home. Hmmm. Perhaps not the best idea, she'd probably faint and bang her head on something
is it groundhog day for you??? ours is in February... and my family rents the same stupid Bill Murry movie every year!
only now my 10 yr old son and my 5 yr old daughter acctually understand it!

sorry... tangents are a kind of normal thing for me... where were we?
Goofy, that's cool.

I can be hair-trigger sensitive at times.
Byblion,  I was the broken record - not you.  I reused the phrase that you initially used and two others as well concurred that you present (write) eloquently and intelligently!  I was agreeing to reinforce that as I can see that as well.  You can say anything on here as many times as you need to/want to!  You aren't clogging up anything!

Hope you have a good day at work!

I wish I hadn't mentioned the 'intelligent and eloquent' thing. It was just something my counsellor said to try and big me up. I found it bitterly ironic, as, if you were unfortunate enough to encounter me professionally or socially, 'eloquent' is the last word you would ever use to describe me. Sorry about the 'broken record' thing - I'll try not clog these boards up with repeating myself.

Mom of 3, I support the Avs, mainly due to Peter Forsberg years back, when he was such a marvellous player. I've only seen one NHL game in person (the Ducks/Kings played a match in London last year) but do enjoy watching British hockey (which is rough and ready if nothing else) though at the moment there is no London team to support  I agree, Ovechkin is great.

Now back to dragging my carcass through another (groundhog) day at work.

Have a good day, all.

Reading this thread: