Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

This is huge and I doubt my strength

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Pete,   Good job capturing the doctor's attention finally..............and for getting some time off work to focus on you and your goals for the next 2 weeks.   All jokes aside, adequate and healthy nutrition are really important to stabilize your mental and cognitive functions so taking a supplement of omega 3's ( found in fish oil, flax seed oil, nuts and seeds) is actually a very good idea. It will also increase your energy levels and help you to stay out of bed during the day.   Good luck!     Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
that was absolutely great pete!

but you know, omletes as part of breakfast in bed is a great way to relax and let the body get the rest it needs to heal for a day or two .  - good source of protein, omegas, and a bit of the good cholestrerol...-
15 years ago 0 142 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
pete,
good for you in perserving with the doctor. yes, alot of them will not give you the time of day. psychiatrists pretty much just prescribe the drugs (and look after you should you be hospitalized) psychologists are the ones that do the talk therapy- all different types, mainly CBT like they do here. you shouldn't have to wait 6 months, though! squeaky wheel gets the grease. if you are a reader, it helps to know all you can, minimizes the surprises- god, i hate surprises. enjoy your 2 weeks! 

Well done Pete, you should give yourself a pat on the back. A good list of suggestions. My doctor booked me off for 2 weeks (went back to work this week) and it really helped to have that time to myself to clear my thoughts and dust off things I used to enjoy. I also found meditation helpful and as I said on another post- I am trying my hardest to stay in the moment and not agonise about the future or the past. Someone said to me once (when I was going on about all the things I HAD to get done immediately) that the only thing I HAVE to do right in this moment, is breathe. The rest is pretty much optional. So when I start to freak out, I just take a few deep breaths and remember it is all I have to do right at that moment. I like the omelette comment.......

15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Steve!

Wow I am not sure how I managed to miss this thread yesterday, I apologize. It seems like you had a good experience expressing yourself to your doctor yesterday. It sounds like it gave you great results! Way to go! Please keep us posted on how you are doing!
Hi Pete,

Congratulations on your doctor visit.  You sound like you are on the right track, you even have a plan!  Keep us posted.
Well, I've just come back from the doctor. He's very 'professional', if not exactly warm, and showed little interest in actually listening to me, as if he was running behind schedule. However, I thought 'Hell's bells, this is my life and I have a problem here so I will talk to him.' His attitude to most of what I said was '...when you get to see the clinical psychologist they will address that..'. Well, fan my brow, I'm on a waiting list for that and it may be another six months and in the meantime I'm suffering here, I'm near-suicidal at times. Good job I'm so 'eloquent' because I did get through to him in the end. He's prescribed me 10mg Citalopram and, the good Lord and all the Buddhas be praised, two weeks certified sick leave from work. I wasn't fishing for that, and didn't expect it, but it is a real bonus. Not because I want to get out of working, but it gives me some breathing space, some unashamed me-time to work on untangling my messy old psyche. And to get used to whatever unpleasant side-effects the medicine might bring. Right now, as you can probably tell, I'm on a bit of an optimistic high, and planning what to do with my two weeks recovery time. Here's some ideas I've had:

• rediscover some enjoyable things - pick up my guitar again, write, watch a dvd or play a computer game without feeling guilty.
  • sit down and work out treatment goals and plans without panic or hurry.
  • see if I can reestablish my meditation practice.
  • try and learn to relax again.
  • try and stay out of bed during the daytime.

Just looked at the side-effects for Citalopram. Yoiks! Doesn't look like fun. Still, as my mum says, you can't make an omelette without cracking eggs.

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete,   It sounds like you have really started thinking positive about your own abilities. By being honest with others about what you are experiencing (calling in sick to work), you can also help yourself realize your own emotions and feelings.   Keep us posted on the how the visit to the doctor goes!     Sarah, Health Educator
Hang in there Pete and let us know how your visit goes. 
Thanks for the responses everyone, plenty of food for thought there for me. My gut response is what you'd expect "...BUT I can't do that .... AND I can't do that ... BUT BUT BUT ...". I must make the effort to tough my way past the gut response and think clearly about things. Maybe if my doctor can prescribe the right medication tomorrow that might help.

That's all I shall say for now - I don't want to launch off on another 'beating myself up' session right now - I'm too tired for that as I had a bad day today. I.could not go to work no matter how hard I tried to force myself. I got halfway there on the train and had to turn around and come home and hide in bed all day. Still, at least when I rang in sick I was honest and told them it was a bout of depression, not a cold or a migraine or a twisted ankle or an emergency visit to the dentist. First time I've done that.

I think I'm getting my knickers in a twist about going to the doctor tomorrow basically.

Q: What do you call a man with a seagull on his head?
A: Cliff       

No wonder I'm depressed with jokes like that....

Reading this thread: