Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Weekend Prep

13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well it looks like no body here tonight!!! 

I guess I will have to go this one on my own!!!

Kind of sounds way to familiar......

The Cheese stands alone.  The cheese stands alone.  Hi  Ho the dairy Oh!!

The Cheese Stands Alone.

Red

Update on class situation

Tonight was not a good night.  I went class and even got there early.  The instructor and one of my class mates were talking about death and dieing when I arrived and not being there when a person passed away.  Like going to get coffee and leaving for a minute and the person passes away while you are gone.  About the elderly wanting to live on there own when the shouldn't etc. etc etc.  I tried to change the subject after I got set up and it was no use the instructor said we would discuss the project later.  Finally she did say we would be squareing up our blocks and took us up to a table to show us how.  I was having a problem with my project and she finally helped me.  Everyone was done with this part of the project but me and I was still having trouble.  She said she would be right back to help..... I stood there for 20 to 30 minutes while the everyone else whent into the sewing room and started yapping about everything and anything a real Hen party.  I was getting very upset and was in tears when I walked back and asked to be let out of the building for a break before I broke down.  I went back in and they were still at it yakking in back.  Finally the teacher came out and helped my after they all left. I said that one lady sure talks a lot.  They left 20 minutes early.  I only had 10 left to sew.  I am so upset and felt so abandoned that I do not think I can go back again.  My partner wants to go with me next week and sit in on class with me next week so this doesn't happen again. The started without me last week also and I was not late.  I was 10 minutes early.  Needless to say I am very upset and depressed now.  It was really horrible.  I do not think I can face this again.

Red
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red:  cute pic.

Shari:  that's awesome.  Animals are so intelligent.  If only we would listen more.
13 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red! 

This is off topic, but I love your bunny avatar!!!  I had a Yorkie who found an abandoned bunny nest and she brought one in through the dog door.  She barked for me to follow her and she showed me there were 3 more.  I fed them KRM (kitten replacement milk) with a syringe every two hours around the clock.  When they were older they lapped it up from a shallow plate.  They eventually started eating Timothy hay and rabbit pellets and that was when it was time to release them into a wildlife sanctuary.  Good memories :)

Your friend,

Sunny:  Thanks.... It is supposed to a lap size.  60" x 60" when it is finished.  If it turns out the way I want it to I am thinking about sending it to my son at his fire station.  Something for him to remember me by.  At his home away from home. You know we all have problems and worry in our lives.  I just happen to worry about people most, instead of things.  I know these women probably just want to tell there stories and you are probably right, once the get their stories told maybe we can enjoy the class.  The original idea I had when I took this class was that it would be a nice way to relax and I would also be learning a new skill that I could use as a positive distraction that I also enjoy.  As you know because you quilt there is a lot the goes into quilting.  It is a hobby that involves many things, creativity, precision cutting and piecing, concentration and time.  These are all good things for the mind. 
A lot of the quilt blocks originated from historical times and have a history going back to the times of slavery. It is quite interesting.  These are some of the things I thought we might have been talking about in class.  Color, placement, history.  I put birdhouses in my quilt because of my love of birds and how much they have helped me. You can express yourself and tell your story with a quilt.  Anyway I am getting off topic now and have to finish my homework for tomorrow.  See you later.

Your Friend
Red
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red:   Looking good...how big is your quilt?  for a twin, or a double?  I'm glad you are hanging in there.  I agree with Davit about the positive remarks when the talkers may be saying negatives.  It's like changing the subject.  Hope it goes better as things go along.  They may run out of negatives once their story is "told".  Sometimes they just need to get things off their chest then they can relax.  When someone is upset, I let them unburden without interruption, then it sputters out and they usually end up apologizing for their behaviour.

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red,

I'm so glad to hear your positivity and committment!! Wonderful! You must be proud of yourself.

Let us know if the selective listening helps.

Tiana, Health Educator
Hi Tiana,

Thank you for the input.  In answer to your questions yes I realize there is nothing I can do to change the situation and I have accepted that.  I have been in similar situations and can usually leave or move to another part of the room.  This is a very small room and I can't just leave.  I look at this as a learning experience and in the end I will be much stronger after this.  I have decided that I am going to try to concentrate on the instructors voice only and see if I can learn to do some selective listening.  This is something I think I might be able to do if I set my mind to it.  In answer to your last question Yes! I am really enjoying this class and learning a new skill that I really enjoy.  I know this exposure is tough but it is so worth it.  I refuse to lock myself up in the house again.  I love my new found freedom to much to ever give it up again.  I am winning now and there is no turning back.

I want to thank you again for listening and for the advice and encouragement.  It really does help to talk it out.

Red
Davit,

Thanks for explaining what you meant by mimic.  I am not really commenting on the conversation.  I am just listening for the instructors instructions so what I have decided to do is just listen for her voice only and practice selective listening.  This is something I think I can do.  Thanks for the help again.

Your friend,
Red
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red,

Just wanted to clear something up- you are not being passive-aggressive. That is a term that is commonly misunderstood and misused! What you are doing is trying to get help for a challenging situation. Sounds like in reality there is not too much you can do to change the situation- it's actually probably good to realize that instead of trying to struggle against it. Does that sound like something you can do? Have you been in a similar situation? How did you handle it? It is hard to hear negativity! Hopefully some of the strategies presented will work for you. Are you enjoying the class otherwise?

Best of luck with it. And your project sounds lovely!

Tiana, Health Educator

Reading this thread: