Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,555 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

10 years ago 0 177 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today has been the coldest day of the year so far, and we still have a couple of weeks until winter officially starts! I don't see it getting better anytime soon though. Also had minimal sunshine for a few days now so I'm hoping the clouds will clear soon. Gardening isn't something I've been able to do lately.

We do have some roses still flowering though, Mum and I picked a couple to put in a vase today. My little Japanese Maple is starting to lose its leaves for the winter, after all the trouble of treating the powdery mildew so the leaves wouldn't keep dying! I'll start the treatment again when spring comes so it'll have plenty of leaves all through summer.

My energy is lacking, I woke up cold last night and couldn't get back to sleep for a while. I've been busy going out and doing my exposure too, which has left me exhausted! Looking forward to the sunshine coming back, it'll give me a new burst of energy again.

Kaitie.

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

You are lucky to have your Dad close where you can visit. My Dad is about a twelve hour drive away and My mom is two provinces over. My Dads parents are in the same plot as Him. Sunny has gone home so she will be able to visit her parents, but I don't know if they are in the same cemetery. Family is important to her. Much more so than me. I just want to be cremated. Plant me with the potatoes is good enough. 

I'm cleaning up the flower bed where I will put Thomas with the other cats.

It is strange but I never use anger when weeding. Force though I do. Especially with quack grass. I'm going to be sore tomorrow but was smart enough to work on the tiller and the lawn mower as a break. 
It looks like it is going to rain tonight. That is okay. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I have more transplanting to do. If it does I can work in my garage. There is still stuff to fix. I need to make a piece for a string trimmer too if it is too cold to work outside. Or I could take a day off and do some baking. 

What I would give for a chocolate bar right now. Or brownies. Cup of tea and a movie instead. 

Davit

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today I found I could use my anger through weeding, and thought of the difficulty some of my colleagues had caused me, as I dug up stuff.  I know it was just dirt I was poking into, and I knew no one could feel it, but nobody was getting hurt, but I was still feeling the hurt.

I hope the flowers bloom so I can take them to dad's cemetery on father's day, in june.  I miss my dad, and some day will  miss my mom too.  I hope gardening gives her the pleasure she deserves, since she worked so hard, and passed so much affection to me, and others.
Another late night.

After a morning of house cleaning I managed to work outside. In the greenhouse when it was raining and in flower beds when it wasn't. I transplanted a few more flowers and hilled some potatoes. I want to make a hiller for my little tractor.
The dealership is bringing me a bigger tractor next week and taking the Ford that is too small back. My gardens are big enough to work a tractor in even if it does waste space.  It will leave me more time to work in flower beds. I usually rake up narrow raised beds, I think I can make a tool to do it with the tractor. Should have done this years ago.

Supper and a movie, good way to end the day. I did manage to go to the store too.

Davit.
Another few feet of weeding makes me feel better, in the garden, as I make more progress giving mom something to enjoy during the summer.

Maybe I should be thinking of the winter season, and indoors and the possibilities, since winter can be so desolate, without the sunshine and flowers and vegetables?

Life can seem like an endless list of chores sometimes.
It rained all night but the sun is out now. The mosquitoes probably are too. 

I had to force myself to do housework this morning. I'd rather be Gardening. I have to go to the store too but may put it off till tomorrow. So much to do, but then there always is :-) . So much for retirement. Now that I have down scaled my garden I want to make attachments for the tractor to so some of the grunt work like hilling potatoes and weeding between the rows.

Davit.
Hugs 

I think a little at a time is definitely the right way to do it. It is far more enjoyable that way. Except for watering a green house and fixing a hose I did not garden. 

I smell like pine sap. Last winter my neighbour kept my driveway cleaned and it was appreciated because I did not have to get dressed and go out in the cold. Today I took a tractor and a brush hog (rough mower) over to his place and spent five hours cutting the trees that are coming up in his pasture. I think it was a fair trade. But I am so tired now. The tractor I used does not have power steering. He has another little field I will probably do some time. Now I have to take the mower off and turn it upside down so I can sharpen it. I hit a few rocks. Can't see them in the grass. Just one more chore I have to find time for if I want to keep my place looking nice. This is the same mower I use to cut the grass on my more than two acres of grass. 

So tomorrow may be a day of rest. It is supposed to rain anyway. 

My Dads favourite flowers were Mums.  His other were Glads which he always planted upside down. (not on purpose I don't think) He would have flowers when every one else had theirs past. 

Sunny really likes the Mountains. For years they were so familiar that I never saw them. I do again. I don't think she has mountains in Ontario where she is now, but she does have pictures. 

Anyway it is getting late and I need to shower off the pine sap and get supper.

Davit.
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
   Thanks for sharing Hugs.  I can hear the lightness in your spirit from your description of the beauty around you.
Remember you play a big part in creating that!
Hope you have a good rest! 
Vincenza, Health Educator
I felt better, seeing the weeded small area.  A bit at a time really adds up, but it takes getting over resistance to get changed and get into the earth.  Also, I forgot to update my plan of garden, so I can nurture the parts which bloom at different times.  I also need to know where the mums are, since I accidently pulled up some of them, and mom really likes them.

It's hard to believe how much beauty surrounded me, without my knowing, since these have their own beauty.  I walked by this garden for years, back and forth to work, shopping, etc.

The sink won't drain, and I discovered how to fix it, but this is going to take a lot effort, and a lot more than simple task of scraping away dirt.

I've felt so overwhelmed lately, and exhausted, but focusing on something can bring me to life.
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs, 

..how did you feel after focusing on the positive outcomes of the hard work you did today?
Vincenza, Health Educator

Reading this thread: