Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,553 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone,  Wanted to share this new pic of our rapidly growing potato patch with you all..
Enjoy my friends...
Red:)

Davit, Thanks for the tip on using a coke bottle to put fishing line on and instructions on how to use it as a fishing pole..This is a perfect example of things about fishing that can only be learned from a fellow fisherman. You would never find this info in any book, Priceless..

Thanks,
Red:)..

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red

The first pole I bought was a three foot solid fibreglass pole with a small closed face reel. A kids rod but I was a kid then. I used it almost for ever. Then my brother won a hollow fibreglass rod and an open face Garcia Mitchell reel. I borrowed it from him and forgot to give it back to him. It was so smooth. But most of the time I used a green casting line and a coke bottle. You wrap the line around the bottle and hold the neck. You twirl a red devil around your head and throw it, pointing the bottle out front so the line comes off like an open face reel. This would fit in a pocket or pack sack. Lake Athabasca had so many fish it was impossible to not catch something. I needed a lot of fish because I had a dog team.

Peppers are planted (15) Lavender is planted. After my tea I will plant four cherry tomatoes. That will leave ten large tomatoes for the small greenhouse. And I have to find some place for the Rosemary. I have 300 basil plants to stick in. That will take time. After that there are lots of squash, winter and summer to put in and pumpkins. I need to build trellises for the pole beans too. Lots of work. But I do sleep good :-)

Davit
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
Just reading your post on tying your own flies..There was so much passion in your story. I hope get yourself a new kit this year to go with your fly rod..I would love to see you make some time to rekindle this hobby and do a little fly fishing this year..I can see you tying your flys and out there fishing right now..
Who know maybe I will do a little fishing this year too..The weather is starting to warm up now so it maybe a little late for rainbow..There is always ocean fishing. I could catch some mackerel and take it out to one of the lakes around here and do a little cat fishing..My favorite part is tyeing my line and casting it out, seeing and feeling it hit the water and than just letting it sit there and when it gets hit it's the feel of landing the fish is magical. I used to ocean pier fish with my Grandfather when I was small, then later I fished with son. My husband and I fished together later after he left work. I taught him what I knew about salt water fishing. Later I became interested in fresh water fishing. I knew very little but got myself some gear and went out and learned from other fisherman fishing near me. My first and still favorite poll was a kids poll called a fishing pal. I caught more fish on that poll than another poll I've ever had. I still have it. It is my lucky poll. I have books on fishing and rigging line different ways but it is just not the same as learning in person from someone right there next to you. be it a lake, river, or ocean pier..This is the magic of fishing..and being able to sit for hours and say nothing except for a word here or there or a knowing glance...listening to the wind and watching the water. This is the magic...I will never forget it or my time spent fishing..

Red...

wow. 

I got the plastic on with some pain and a lot of sitting. I don't work well with my arms up. No sooner did I finish and go to the house and it rained. It has stopped now and the sun is poking through. Tylenol for the pain and I will plant some lavender in the new flower bed. Then harvest the oregano. There is a laundry baskets worth to dry. Lemon balm can wait a few days. Then plant peppers and start on the basil. That will just leave tomatoes for the green houses. The rest goes in the big garden. Little one has potatoes and corn in it. Might be some Jerusalem artichoke in there if it didn't get eaten. There is a lot of thistle also. Next year it gets summer fallowed. That is if we are not planting me.
Never give up. I have to go to town next week and sign some papers to get back on the home support program even though I won't qualify because I work outside. Who knows, I might crash and burn and need them. 

Davit

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I tried to "play" with the tiller, but it was controlling me before I found the right connection.   Timing was off, I thought, since I had to use the machine before the evening, and there was so much cleanup, since I didn't weed, and the tiller didn't get rid of the weeds, which I can brush away.

I learned a lot about planning, but it was satisfying, since the rain doesn't make it prime time for gardening, although I can pull out the larger weeds more easily.

Learning to respond to the weather, and other things, will hopefully pay off with relationships.

I felt like I was vibrating all night from that machine, as I tried to go to sleep, but I don't feel that bad.  With a little planning, the garden should look great this year.  I'm going to dig up my book on "a lazy gardener's bible" for reference, since there are bigger fish to fry, but gardening gives so much hope and joy to mom.

With father's day around the corner, the roses should look great for a bouquet in june, since the leaves look so healthy and shiny from my mulching and nourishing last year!
Yesterday I went to town for plastic to repair the greenhouse. It is sort of a lost project that I keep using. I have the material to finish it but no one to help me do it so I patch. 

I have a trail around my ponds and since I was on the tractor with the loader I went around the trail and pushed off some trees that fell on it. One I will go back for this summer for fire wood. The beaver have flooded parts of the trail. That is okay since I need the water when it gets dry in july. A person could bypass these flooded spots if they wanted to walk it and the water will go down. 

Needless to say these two activities cut into what I was supposed to be doing. It doesn't matter to me. I still will get done what I can and that is it. Like my troybuilt that is half repaired. And the lawn that needs mowing again. Or the asparagus that are half moved. If it doesn't rain on me I will patch the green house and put out more plants. Life is meant to be fun not a chore. It is nice when they are the same as I find gardening. It is overcast so it may rain. 

Hugs, I bet you are glad that is done. 

Anyway there is housework to do before I go out and Theodore said it is cold out there. I imagine he will sleep all day. I'd like to join him. I might for a while if it rains.

Last years new flower bed is doing very well with some stuff already twice as big as last year.

Davit.
My body is still vibrating after renting a tiller, and the garden is being rained on, so timing was good too.
Shari,
There's nothing wrong with trying to spin off a different thread on your topic, but it might help if it was more general.  Even if it doesn't last, we're just trying make it through our days, sharing our challenges on a common topic.  The content can vary, but as long as we're supporting each other...what's the worst thing that could happen, if the thread dwindled?  We'd accept your passion on an other thread.

I don't think anyone wants to play "thread police"(unless there's a uniform, since I'm a sucker for uniforms)
10 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Confessions of a ceramic dog hoarder - ha ha.  I went online and found two sets of Japan dogs for a steal.  This week is going to be interesting with the influx of dogs in the mail.  I started this hobby 5 weeks ago and combining the ones in my desk cabinet, along with the ones coming in the mail, it totals 69!  My friend, who collects ceramic dogs, has 150!  I guess I'm on my way :-)

Shari
10 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the wealth of knowledge and information on the hobby.  I had no idea :-)  Might pass on the road kill - ha ha.

Shari

Reading this thread: