Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,555 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Therapeutic Effects of Gardening

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shari

In the movie "a river runs through it" they are purists fishing with dry flies and the flies are probably caddis. A medium sized fly that is easy to tie. The fellow that I got my equipment from only tied one fly. A plain grey dry fly. 

All you really need is a vice to hold the hook. Everything else makes it easier but is optional. I shouldn't say he only tied one fly but he started on a stream with one fly and if it didn't work he would catch what was hatching and tie a look alike. Right on the stream with a finger vice and a minimum of tools.

I tied for relaxation after work in a closet so the cat wouldn't get my material. I tied from patterns and I did have a magnifier light but seldom used it. A whip finisher tool makes tying off easier. 

You start at the head with a spool of thread and wrap the body back as far as you need to go then wrap in the tail with two or three wraps then start adding body material always with a minimum of wraps so it doesn't get bulky. Stop body material before you want the head  because this part takes up more space than it seems. Glue the head with nail polish so the knot doesn't come undone. And last float it on a glass of water and look at it from the bottom because what a fish sees is actually a pattern of displaced water not the actual fly. Flies like the Royal Coachman are a curiosity to fish and they will strike for that reason only. They don't actually look like anything. An interesting fly is one made with a coffee bean to look like a beetle. 
Now wet flies are different and more forgiving because they sink and the fish actually see them. They all look like grubs.
A latex caddis is only a strip of a fluorescent condom got from the bathroom of a bar wrapped over a wool body to give it shape. 
You can do as I did also and tie things you could never cast like Dragon flies and their Cousin the Damsel fly. 
Hackle is the neck of a chicken and a good hackle from a Barred Rock chicken is worth about 50 dollars because it is rare to get really good hackle. Beware though, you will start to collect everything from cat hair to hair off road kills if it can be used. You will haunt farmers for wool and calf tail hair. Some stuff you may have like silk floss and different coloured thread. Oh and the lead strip from around the top of a good bottle of wine. For weight. And Styrofoam for the opposite reason. 
A simple fly to start with is a muddler. It is large and all deer hair.

You also can fish in your back yard with just a pail to aim at because what you are doing on a river is dropping the fly just up from a rock where a fish may be resting with enough loose line so the fly drifts past looking normal but not so much loose that the fish spits it out before you can tighten. The line is what you are casting not the fly, it doesn't have enough weight to drag the line. Different from casting a lure on light mono. Whipping back and forth is only for dry flies to dry them.

My sister in law has my kit, and of course My Brother had to buy all new better tools and material. He does catch fish though. Idiot throws them back. I don't have any more flies, Jennie gave them away as Christmas presents to her relatives.
I do have my fly rod though. 
Cheap store bought flies don't float right and therefore don't work. The hook is too heavy and coarse. 

Davit.
10 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs, Davit, and Red,

Thanks Red, I will post the two free dogs as my avatar when they arrive.  I hope it's okay if I share this thread with you all regarding my ceramic dogs once in awhile.  I think if I started a thread on the Therapeutic effects of ceramic dog collecting, it would be party of one :-)  

Shari
10 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,

One of the hobbies I was interested in is fly tying.  How did you learn?  I've seen some books that make it look complicated like you need a jeweler's eye piece and some of them look so ornate and fancy, it looks seemingly impossible to do, which I know it is not, or no one would make them :-)  How would you suggest I get started?

Thanks! Shari  P.S.  Red and Davit, Rainbow Trout is my favorite fish :-)
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi again Davit,

No I have not been fly fishing yet..but it has always interested me. I saw a movie called "A River Runs Through It" with Brad Pitt and some other famous actors..They gave a beautiful depiction of flying fishing in this movie..It was a real art form for these men and had a rhythm to it..and the sceneary was beautiful. I didn't know that your a fly fisherman and tye your own lures..This tying and making your own is a real art form as is fly fishing..In the movie it was about as close to God as a man could ever get..To be one with the water and nature in this form..Loved the movie. I have watch it over and over again..

I think your idea of taking up fly fishing again is wonderful one and would be a nice change of pace and scenery.
Very exciting indeed..You could post your catch here on line for us all to see and of course we would love to see pic's of your favorite fishing holes, creeks, lakes, rivers, and streams.

Red...
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There is a sign on the door, but there's virtually no-one at the gym.  I feel I'm going something "wrong" by not "going somewhere"!   But I just have't found friends(I'm as prickly as the rose I accidently broke when it grew over the fencing).  And I'm getting better, after the toxic workplace I left.  Someone suggested that all the stress at the last moment hit me like ptsd.  I'm really afraid of being around people, unless the place is really safe.

Weeding is necessary to get rid of the ragweed too, so I plan to get a tiller in the next couple of days, before rain comes.  Gardening really connects me weather.  If I could only figure out where the sun is going...so much to learn, so little time.
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs, how shocking men taking their daughters into the mens locker room..I would think this is something that management needs to know about..I am sure this would not be allowed if they knew. At the ymca where I live they have a family dressing room for families to dress and shower...

Any how I hope you can get in a little weeding today as a destresser..You are not alone when it comes to weeding. We are always behind when it come to the weeding. They just grow over night like weeds. :):)

I have thought about have a desert landscape at times..I even traveled around looking for property to move to in the high desert..but I am still here in the city with all the weeds and other stuff that goes with being in the city..

Red.

Samantha

Because of the mountains we get a lot of Europeans. They will work a hard week and then hike for a week. For many this works better than the four to five hours a day. I don't have room or I would have wwoofers too.

Davit.

Ps sun came out so I spent time in my garden. Still digging up and moving Asparagus. Hard work. I have twenty plants moved so far. It may become a long term project.
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I could use some help now.  I'm starting to feel overwhelmed by the garden getting ahead of me, since I fell behind weeding.  I wasn't well Friday, and the schedule is behind, and gardening is taking over where I wished to focus on another home renovation, and mom's health.

Today was stressful enough, since I couldn't almost take a shower at the gym, where I de-stress.  A parent had his two girls with him in the mens gym change room, so I was going to leave.  I tried to see it as a challenge for him, since he probably has his hands full with his job, etc.

Then as I left the change room, there was an emergency in the women's change room. I couldn't respond, since I didn't know first aid.  What was extra annoying, was that a young man said he didn't wish to respond, probably since he was "uncomfortable".  They had enough knowledgeable female staff, though.

Maybe I'll just putt around in the garden, since some weeding is better than none.
10 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit, 

Yes I have done some wwoofing myself! What a wonderful experience. 

I feel very connected to nature and I also think it can be so helpful for coping with anxiety and panic. 

Samantha, Health Educator
Red

Did you ever fly fish? I used to, maybe I should take it up again. Yes rainbow are good aren't they. 

Now there is a hobby for you. Fly tying. Very relaxing if your hands work. I tied my own.

Davit.

Ps. Maybe I spend too much time gardening and should go fishing. Wish there were fish in my ponds.

Reading this thread: