Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Hobbies

13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know what you mean, even though I've had the Aha lightbulb, its engrained in my pschie deeply, so practice, practice practice!
Cleo
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cleo:  Well, I still have to work on my expectations of what I consder successful at the dr's office with my BP.  Trying to use the positive thoughts and the who cares.  Still need to practice, practice, practice.
 forget the size 8 thing - I just mentioned that to say that I wasn't overweight because it's often thought that overweight people have the high BP.  Anyway, I'm not 8 anymore, I'm a size or two more nowadays and my muscle tone has gone but that's my fault, I could still lift a few weights if I really wanted to.  You know, firm those arm triceps and build up the caps and the biceps.  Oh well, and I suppose a few squats and lunges would be helpful for you-know-what area too. haha.  
Sunny :)
Question..is there a way to delete after clicking Reply?  I want to erase my duplicate Cleo from my last post.
Thanks
Cleo
Yea, Sunny, you are so right! It was a big Aha! moment...I'm aware now of all the emotions I had about BP and control, or lack there of. I can control how I act, so I'm not like my mother or father, but I can't control the genes that I've been given that regulate my BP..to a point.  I see that now. So I guess I'm no longer ashamed...that negative core belief is not attached to my BP readings. I just talked with hubby  and told him all about my appt. We both agreed that we  have to change our attitudes a bit...even he has his own beliefs about doctors and medicines  that we need to talk about . Since he's kind of anti-dr. that has contributed in  enabling me for all these years.  He would say..youre fine, docotors are all quacks, etc...We have to change our thoughts about "giving in" to taking medicines...just like I did with the SSRI. And I am not blaming myself, just the cards I was dealt with. This has been an eye-opener of a year for me.
Its too bad we can't choose our parents eh? Mine would have been sane, healthy, rich, oh, and skinny, like you! Size 8! Please tell me your 4 feet tall.  haha. .
Jealous of all size 8's
Cleo

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cleo:  Just read your post re: BP.  Sounds like you had an "aha" moment. As you know I've had problems all summer with it too.  Mine started when I was just a size 8 - nothing to do with overweight - and late 40's so all the doctors were perplexed as to why it was happening.  Turns out it is hereditary, just like my mom, the glaucoma just like her too.  I also went through the "what am I doing wrong" times and finally had to accept the fact that it is hereditary.  I exercised and ate well.  I did so well that I was a fitness instructor for awhile.  Of course we know that anxiety does make it worse and that's why we take it easy when that happens.  Life throws curves at us and our anxiety/stress levels can get the better of us.  I find the relaxation and all the techniques shown in CBT can be most helpful, especially understanding how our negative thoughts regarding our health issues can escalate the situation.  It ain't easy, I know, I slip up every now.  Keep the faith, and believe that it is manageable.  Luv ya,
Sunny
Thanks  so much to everyone for the replies. If it wasn't for this place I would not have learnt about the power of negative core beliefs, and what effects they can  have on a person. It truly is an amazing thing to discover.
your friend (and family)
Cleo
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cleo,

Wow Cleo!! 
Congratulations on your resent revelation about your blood pressure.  It is great when the light bulb goes off and all of a sudden it all makes sense.  You are getting there and you should be very proud.  I am so happy for you.

Red
13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cleo,

I can just visualize you telling us all, in person this story!  What a ball of energy you are!

You have done some great things and most importantly you have written it down and realized some of your negative core beliefs!

This is awesome progress and I can actually see you smile at this realization.  Keep pushing forward and working on the positive. 

Don't forget to keep writing, this is a great way to express yourself and keep a daily progress record!

Josie, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cleo,

Be proud of yourself for going and making it through the appointment - that is the real success, not weather or not your BP reading was "perfect"! The realization that happened afterwards for you sounds like a huge breakthrough, too. 

My mom doesn't suffer from much anxiety or panic attacks but she also gets waves of nerves that lead to high BP readings at the doctor. I just thought I'd mention that in case it helps you feel better at all...it's certainly not a sensation you're alone in!

Teebs
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cleo

You almost made it, that is a whole lot better than not making it again isn't it. You will do it, I see a whole new better attitude. Just like horse shoes, close is good. A whole lot of close can add up. I have high blood pressure also, It goes with the pain of my arthritis. It is not some thing I did wrong so I take the pills and for the most part watch my diet. I sneak in the odd hot Italian sausage and other things I shouldn't have. My "your getting fat dragon" keeps me in check. Mostly ha! The thing is I have a monitor at home and I know what my BP is so I don't care what it is at the Doctors. 150/100 is not bad for white coat syndrome. My new monitor doesn't double pump either so I don't get high anxiety readings. I still take two readings five minutes apart.

Here for you'
Uncle Davit.

Reading this thread: