Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

psychologist dependence

18 years ago 0 204 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i have my psychologist's cell#. i bet you he wished he never gave me that. i am the same way. he is on vaction right now for 2 weeks and i miss and need him.i have went to call him but i hung up. remeber that movie WHAT ABOUT BOB? lol!!!!! gina
18 years ago 0 295 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Alison i agree with you about it sounding twisted when i read what ive written it sound bizarre to get so attached to somebody thats only there because you're paying them to be ;p and the only reason i admitted it is because nobody knows who i am :p but hey if it helps me to get on top of my anxiety then im all for it and i have had 2 whole panic free days after a pretty stress filled week so YAY for me!Talk to you later. Lulu..
18 years ago 0 189 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tell me about it! You really develop an emotional connection to the one person that seems to really care and to have some answers to lead you out of this nightmare. I am on cloud 9 when I come home. It's like a high. This sounds really twisted! But how can you not develop a connection when you can tell him more than you tell your husband. It's like he has become my source of all 'wisdom and knowledge', I listen to everything he says. I even ask him if I should get my kids vaccinated. We talk about what I eat and how much I exercise. I ask him what I should do about my husband. However, I need to remember that this person is getting paid of money to it and listen to me ramble! It's probably a good thing that I only go once a month because I would get very dependent on him. I need to envision a future where I can think on my own!
18 years ago 0 295 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Alison just wanted to let you know i have the same problem with my psychologist i see him weekly and i eagerly anticipate each visit cause i know hes gonna make me feel better if only for an hour though i usually feel better for the rest of the day after i see him.I think i like going so much because i can really tell him EVERYTHING and thats something ive never done even with my husband theres still things i feel i cant talk to him about for fear of him getting cranky its just easier to keep the peace so i dont talk.I wish i could see my psychologist everyday ;p Lulu..
18 years ago 0 189 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Beetlegirl, I glad it went decently well for you. It's a very unsettling feeling if you feel panic in a place they you count of feeling secure. I just saw my psychologist last week, I feel like I could talk to him every week easliy (only go once a month). Every time I walk away my head feels a little bit clearer and my resolved strengthened. How are things going for you these days? Take care :)
18 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I saw my therapist today - a double 2-hour session! We talked about a lot of stuff - but I was quite unsettled by the fact that I felt quite sick and panicky in his waiting room and at times during the session. This has never happened before - I always felt safe during my sessions. Nevertheless the session did help me sort out some thoughts. I did ask about the tape recorder and he didn't object to it, although I got the impression he would rather I didn't. On second thoughts I decided not to but told him I might use it in the future if he was in agreement. Beetle
Hi Alison - I think I will definitely ask my therapist if I can use my tape recorder - even though I'll feel mortified and embarrassed if he says no. I'm going to sit down this afternoon and try to come up with some of my thoughts so I have something to talk to him about without spending the first 15 minutes beating around the bush (hate that). At the moment I am seeing him monthly but given my recent setback I think weekly for a while would be a good idea (yes, I have good insurance). I'll definitely let you know how the session on Tuesday goes. Thanks for your support. BG :)
18 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, I thought $90 Cdn an hour was a lot. At that price you must want to talk fast ;) It is nice to talk to someone without editing it as you speak and toning it down. Getting it off your chest and getting solid advice is essentially priceless. I do feel guilty because I wish I could have the same conversation with my husband as I do with my psychologist, but obviously I just can't. I don't think it's a bad idea to tape record it and I don't see why he'd have a problem with it. How often are you able to go see him? I hope you have helpful insights tommorow! Let me know what you walk away with! Take care :)
I can so identify with relying on your therapist and not being able to seek advice about this problem from anyone other than him (my friends don't understand). I think it is about being able to describe EVERYTHING about how you are feeling without the filter of 'are they going to understand what I am talking about?' or am I going to get the dreaded blank or confused look in return. I am seeing my therapist tomorrow and I was thinking about taking a mini tape recorder in with me because I find it really frustrating that as soon as the initial relief of having visited him wears off, I can't remember very much of what he has said. Do you think that is a good idea or do you think he wouldn't allow it? Has anyone else thought of doing this? After all I'm paying AU$2.50 a minute for his advice!! BeetleGirl, Australia
18 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for advice, I really appreciate. Besides this board I have no one else who remotely understands what I go through. Let's say you need car/house/friendship advice- you can ask everyone you know. But with this, who's gonna get you unless they have gone through the same.

Reading this thread: