Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,698 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CBEA KATRINA, LLYKA, aseprodi, KaydeeChy, VLOVELY KEITH

Quote of the Day Part Two

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shari,
Hope you rest up, and feel better.

I think I created some extra conflict.  I think I remember a supervisor stating I can be like a "dog on a bone", which may or may not be helpful.

I might just delete a voicemail where someone(the second person) wants to give me a hard time.  I need to choose my battles, and don't need this.  I think I'll keep this for a session tomorrow, but there's so little time left.  What's better than a real, live panic attack to watch, and address?

I know I've changed, since I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.  I can put a boundry around it, package it, and let loose tomorrow, under controlled conditions, and I suppose if there isn't time to deal with the other stuff, too bad for my obsessive side.

I have too many things to do, places to go, people to meet. 

I just noticed, also, how nourishing social contact is.  It's as though I don't need to even speak to people, but just being around them is enough.
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

How are you today?  I'm sick, but hope to feel better for the coffee social tomorrow :)

Shari
11 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, why not?  Cruising will still allow you to reach your goals at a friendly pace and "smell the roses" at the same time.  Who says we have to rush around and get stressed out reaching a goal?  Relaxed is the way to go.   Of course, we also know there are times when we have to race around like crazy to meet obligations but hopefully we take the time out necessary to relax again.
Just a thought,
Sunny
If you set a goal for yourself and are able to achieve it, you have won your race. Your goal can be to come in first, to improve your performance, or just to finish the race -- it's up to you.
- Dave Scott

Maybe cruising is best in life, since we can at least enjoy the view
The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind.
- William James

"Don't believe what you think" is a powerful bumper sticker I wish I had on my bicycle
I agree :)  It's important to start the day off positive, whether you have to initially fake it or not.  It sets the tone for the day. And, as Davit says, the day is what you make of it.

Shari
Plant the seed of desire in your mind and it forms a nucleus with power to attract to itself everything needed for its fulfillment.
- Robert Collier

What I go to bed with, in terms of thoughts, reading and doing my relaxation exercises, matters a great deal, from this perspective.  The morning is important as well, too
Great story Hugs and I liked what you learned from the experience. 

Shari

Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're supposed to help you discover who you are.
- Bernice Johnson Reagon

Once I was a member of the local YMCA gym, having a general membership.  I didn't play sports as a child, so my membership was in my 20's, probably around 23, and working night shift.  I couldn't play competitively, but would go for fitness classes, and eventually played volleyball with a group one afternoon per week.  Also, I would practise playing basketball, and play 1 on 1 with a couple of guys I met.

Once a couple of professional football players were staying at the Y hostel.  I eagerly asked to play 1 on 1, and one of them was amused.  After playing him, I was tired, and felt okay, although i don't think I scored a point, or came anywhere near to his quickness.

The difference between being in that situation, and situations where I'm overwhelmed is my response.  I responded with gratitude, since that player allowed me his time, and association.  I felt honoured that a potential football professional would associate with me in any way!  He even may have made the city's professional team, without my knowing.  Maybe he went on with another team, or to coach professionally or in the amateurs.

This challenge is something I'll always cherish, along with the mystery of the anonymous opponent.  I just wish I would savour each moment that I'm challenged, rather than miss the opportunity of being engaged by being distracted, or out of sorts
I had this problem skinning my knuckles while installing screens, and following the second try, I decided to use screw drivers to protect my knuckles.

I succeeded, with a pocketful of screwdrivers, and a second pocketful of confidence

Reading this thread: