Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Quote of the Day Part Two

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've always believed that you can think positive just as well as you can think negative.
- Sugar Ray Robinson

Its just as easy for one as the other...
You win only if you aren't afraid to lose.
- Rocky Aoki

I think if I'm afraid to lose, I've already lost
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"Release the unknown and embrace God's ability to work out the details we cannot fathom, fix, or even anticipate.  Release the unknown and do what you can do."  Michelle Hammond McKinny  

I just thought this was positive and encouraging.

Shari
"...what we feed the most will become the strongest.  If we constantly feed ourselves fear, we will be consumed by anxiety.  If we keep eating morsels of negativity, we will be overwhelmed with hopelessness...if we feed ourselves positive thoughts, seeds of faith, then hope begins to burst through the heaviness we feel."  Michelle Hammond McKinney
I'm reading a book called, "Get Over It and On with It:  How to Get Up When Life knocks You Down", by Michele Hammond McKinney.  There was a story from an unknown source, I'll paraphrase it.  There were twin boys.  One was a pessimist and the other was an optimist.  The Mother thought it was odd, so she took them to a Psychologist to give them a test to see why they were different.  The Psychologist put the pessimistic boy in a room filled with presents and he put the optimistic boy in a room filled with piles of manure.  When he went back later to check on them.  He found the pessimistic boy sitting in the middle of the room with unopened presents.  The boy said, "All these presents can't possibly be for me.", so he never opened them. The Psychologist then went to check on the optimistic boy, but couldn't find him in the room.  He called out to the boy and then the boy popped his head up out of one of the manure piles and said, "With all this manure, there's got to be a pony in here somewhere!"  It's amazing how we can make a situation better or worse, by what we think about it.

Shari
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If you never try the impossible, how do you know it is. Of course you have to be able to accept that some things are.
We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.
- Chretien Malesherbes

Life has enough obstacles, that we don't have to be our own way
Hugs4u,

I was always told that I wore my heart on my sleeve and I still do.  I'm  a sensitive person.  I wish I wouldn't "react" to circumstances and events and handle things calmly and without getting hurt. I do let things go, but it's a difficult tug of war until I set my mind to let something go.  I think we've been on the same roller coaster ride :)  If you ever get Dali's number, let me know :)

It's after 10 p.m. here and I have to feed the cat before I go to sleep.  I need to be fresh for tomorrow's coffee social.  Will post about it when I get back.  Have a good night Hugs :)

Shari
Shari,
As we plan, we kind of "set ourselves up" don't we?

I wish I could detach myself from events, since it seems that, depending on circumstances, I just blow as the wind blows, emotionally.  Up and down I go on this emotional roller coaster.

I'm not a fan of amusement rides, or radical change, but I like the disco song "love roller coaster".  A multimillionaire described his venture into politics, sacrificing capital, as conscientious.  He stated that a fellow hit his finger with a hammer, and was asked why he caused himself such pain, and the millionaire's answer was because of relief of pain analogous to the resolution of some burning passion, I think

It's funny that when cooking, contrasts make the experience of eating stimulating, but when my brain, to return to the analogy of an emotional change, kicks in with thoughts, boy can it be unsettling

Wish I had the Dali Lama on speed dial, but he probably doesn't have a wireless device to share that tranquility in his robes...no belt clip visible that I can see
Hugs4u,

I got a poison pen letter once and it was the most hurtful thing I ever received.  I kept reading it over and over and then decided to let it go.  So, I ritualistically burned it over the sink, as a visual that not only is the evidence gone, but that I will also choose to let it go.  I didn't think about it after that and it felt good to burn it.  I think it's good that you're going to delete the voice mail, I'm proud of you.  

I've found it nourishing as well, to go out and sit among people at a coffee shop, even though I didn't talk to anyone.  I read an article that said the same thing.  Tomorrow, will be different with actually speaking to people that are meeting me at the coffee shop.  I hope all goes well.  I've had a restful day and am feeling a bit better.  

Shari

Reading this thread: