Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Afraid to Try, Afraid to Keep Smoking

17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow! Wow wow wow wow wow! Thank you thank you thank you thank you! All of you! How kind you are. This is just what I'm needing - better than, even. After posting I didn't come back to the site because I was sure there wouldnt be any messages (dont all burst into tears at once now but that's how sad and "deserving of the worst" I felt). I just now came back to peek and how wonderful to see everyone's kind strong words of encouragement. I havent read everything because I want to be able to respond to everyone. But I'll be in touch tomorrow after the doctor. It sounds as if many of us *were* in a very similar, but aren't yet in the same, boat -- hope to sail around with you in a matching uccessful boat soon! You all are the best. Thank you again for your time and strength. Kinda like Christmas. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow - Mary
17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Actually the topic title says it all:( I'm a 50 year old woman. I've smoked basically all my life. The last year or so has been stressful and Ive been nervously smoking twice as much as I ordinarily did, not even aware that I was even doing it much of the time. This year attached to the end of all the years I smoked otherwise may have pushed me over an edge. I'm having a serious health scare right now. I go to the doctor tomorrow morning who will probably direct me over to the hospital for a thorough (complicated, expensive) set of checks. And...we'll just go from there. But even if it's not...[anything really bad or unfixable]...I really, really have got to stop. I don't want to exactly but I have to start living without them somehow. Im ashamed of myself of course, so I hope no one will give me a hard time about this. (I know you won't) I do know I'll be posting a lot and need a lot of confidence if anyone will be able to help. I'm pretty good at helping people myself when Im feeling strong. So, that's me - Mary
17 years ago 0 135 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Upping this post, looking for an update from Mary : ) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/9/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 152 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
17 years ago 0 135 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mary, I am so happy you found this site.. It is full of people who thought they could never quit (Me included)and as your smokeless days go by you will be with people who have been there and experienced the same things that you have. Just keep browsing the forums, there are tools on the left hand side and ALOT of reading to keep your mind busy. Tonight at around midnight will be my 7th full day of not smoking.. I was afraid to quit but I knew if I kept smoking I was going to die from it(eventually..) I set a date and that was the begininng of my quit.. Now a week later I am doing SO great.. I have no physical cravings b/c I am on the patch and the mental cravings pass after a few minutes.. You just have to keep yourself busy and they pass.. I, like you, did not want to quit mentally, like someone above said I felt like I was going to lose a best friend but I am so happy to be somewhat rid of the "nicodemon".. I never in a million years thought I could live without cigarettes but I am doing and doing it VERY WELL. Good luck with your tests tommorow and let us know what is going on.. We are all here for you.. :) You can do it Mary! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/9/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 116 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $52.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
17 years ago 0 45 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mary, I am so glad you found this site. When I first started seriously thinking of smoking I really could not believe I had any will power to do it. I loved the cigarettes so much and was my thing to do. Awful thing to admit. With support and taking the time to set a quit date are really planning out my quit. I did it. So far. You can do anything and at your pace. The best thing is you identified that you need to quit. I prayer your scare is nothing but a scare and more of a sign that now is the time before it is too late. One of my really close friends quit at 50 after she was diagnosed with Emphysema. She is so glad she is now smoke free and is getting along fine, but she still has the emphysema to live with. Just think you are 50 and you can get out now before it is too late. Lots of Prayer and Hope for you. Hang in there. Alot of great people here and no pressure, we are all going through this. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/9/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 116 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $35 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Mary, you're at the right site for support one way or the other. A 56 yr-old Grandmother who smoked for 30 plus years, quit once using Cold-turkey method (stayed quit for 10 years, went back like a fool during a divorce and difficult menopause period). Tried everything out there to quit except Laser, with no success for the last 5 or 6 years until I was introduced to Chantix (recommended by my daughter). It's working for me. We hope you'll sign up using the tools on your left and post often. You will find education, support, and a place to vent if you need to. good luck...auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 736 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $73.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
17 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mary - Welcome to the group and God bless you. I wish you the best. -- 2tone [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 641 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $121 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
  • Quit Meter

$357,643.13

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9150 Hours: 13

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to this site Mary where you will always find someone who's been there or going through the stage you are at. Everyone is cheering you on and there is so much encouragement to be found here. No one will judge you here, we all know how hard this is but I know you can do it if you hate it enough. Keep sharing with us. Hugs Liz [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 146 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mary, I want to wish you well for your appt. tomorrow. Obviously just by coming here and signing up you know that you have a desire to quit smoking. As Auntdeb said, read a lot of the posts here and check out the program tools to the left of this page. This is a wonderful place to be with even more wonderful members to help you out every step of the way. Make up your plan.. and then set the wheels in motion hon. We're here for you.. if you need to vent, rant, ramble.. whatever.. people will come here and respond to your posts. Let us know what happens tomorrow .. all the best to you dear. Monica58 [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/Angel.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 93 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $36 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Okay, Mary Tyler -- you throw your hat up into the air and I might have to pull a gun on you. Here's the deal, as I see it. My biggest fear of quitting was that I wouldn't be "me" any more. Almost 3 months into it, I gotta tell you, I'm a better "me" than I ever was on drugs. (Not that drugs didn't get me off the killer drug!!) Honey, the hype is real. Concentration is up like 500 percent. Energy is up 500 percent. I smile all the time, maybe because I'm not freaking about when the next nicotine hit is coming? Best thing is the freedom: it's friggin amazing!! I can go where I want, when I want, and never wonder about whether I can smoke. Ewww... I SO can't believe my life was controlled by that!! The fear is real -- no one knows that more than I. No one wanted to become a "different person" less than I did -- I loved who I was. LOSER!!! No reason to love the shivering addict outside the office door who now p___es me off, because I have to walk through his smoke to get to work. I really, really like being pi__ed by that. Makes me remember what matters to me. Remember the old poster? "I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better" Here's mine: I've smoked, and I've not smoked. Not smoking is better. Best of luck to you, Mary Tyler; keep us close, okay? peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 79 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,994 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $434.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38

Reading this thread: