Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Ok, I admit it, I blew up like a balloon

17 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tryagain, Sorry to hear the frustration lasts so long. I live on a lake and my husband is already talking about bikini weather. I told him this year it's going to be coverup weather. I am nearly in tears at the thought of a bikini. He tells me I'm beautiful, but I know I'm not going to be in bikini shape. I still have my winter weight, too. It's sad. Besides that, boating lost a lot of it's thrill when I quit drinking years ago, but I go because he loves it so much. At least I had my smoking. Now I feel like I'm going to be a fat lump on the boat with nothing to pass the time. We go out for the whole day, usually, on weekends. It's a social thing too. Everybody is drinking and smoking and parading around in their little bikinis. Wow, now I'm really depressed. But I haven't had a cigarette in 5-1/2 days. Whoopee! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 275 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$113,570.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6618 Hours: 15

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Smoking absolutely does burn calories. It speeds up metabolisim. That's why they call coffee and cigarettes the model's diet! Smoking suppresses the appetite too. I cannot tell you how many times I smoked rather than eat! Now, half the time I don't know what to do. I'm just so tired of it all. It's been well over three months. Certainly I should be better than I am now. It's disappointing and frustrating.
17 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mercy, Did smoking actually burn calories? I feel a change in my energy already and I', only on day 6. I feel kinda lethargic! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 271 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
  • Quit Meter

$113,570.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6618 Hours: 15

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for helping Windy! The last time I weighed myslef I had gained 3 pounds. I think this past week and a half I have gained another 3. MY STRETCH JEANS FEEL TIGHT :mad: This addiction knows that we have the possibility to fail if we get upset about weight. We need to get mad and slap it upside the head and not let it win. We need to know how many calories smoking ate up. Then we need to take those calories and use them up....either by cutting back that many....or exercising that many. Gosh.. don't tell me food is a bigger issue than smoking. LOL LOL How did you lose 22 pounds? Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 91 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,835 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $406.77 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well - Jan ... I always seem to be at the wrong place at the wrong time....Here I was posting away in this section for months with nobody to play with. Try - I hit my all time low at about the same time in my quit as you. I was the heaviest that I have ever been....I went to try on clothes and I felt like crying because I couldn't stand what I saw so I went to bed and thought about liposuction instead. It's been an up and down battle but since December, I am down 22 lbs and I am actually smaller than I was before my quit. I have more energy to exercise. Food tastes better so even healthy food tastes good (except carrot sticks and celery...they still taste like cardboard) Try, if you were a gym person, MAKE YOURSELF GET up in the morning before work and get back to that gym (If you liked if before, you will LOVE it now) If you don't have alot of energy, start slow and don't expect yourself to do as much as you used to. Honestly, exercise burns calories and reduces stress. The gym can't possibly be a trigger because we aren't allowed to smoke there. There is an internet site that helps to track calories and exercise. It also provides lots of recipees (although I've only tried a couple) I have to admit that I went through a phase of diet burnout after about 3 months where the smell of food made me cry. I still haven't mastered the art of social eating and I'm looking for alternatives that make me feel full for longer (I always seem to be starving by the next meal) Soooooooooo....I'm following along...hopefully we can all get there together! Oh yes [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 223 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,475 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1115 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great advice, Mercy. If we can stop smoking, then we can eat healthy and lose some weight. I need some exercise too, so I'm going to start by walking more tomorrow. I actually read a quote in a local paper that said, "Its much cheaper to eat healthy than it is to eat poorly." Yeah, pop, chips, candies, take out, etc, they're not cheap, and they're NOT good for us. One of my favourite sayings is this...EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. Ok now maybe I need to drill that one into my mind. At any rate, we've got a fair few of us who are wanting to tackle this, and I know Windy has been successful. What can you tell us Windy???? Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 99 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,990 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $891 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just posted in the discussion "Tomorrow Will Be the Day" I am sure we can help eachother with this weight thing. After all...havent' we helped eachother not smoke? Let's do something together. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 91 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,833 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $406.77 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Try, Do I EVER know where you're coming from. Do you know I just put a brisket in the oven, washed the dishes, sat down after I was finished and BAM, here came that trigger. I'll be honest, I hauled a pack of smokes and an ashtray around with me everywhere I went. Holy cow, even putting on make up was a huge trigger. Early on in my quit, I found a post where I said, "I'm looking around my house right now and can't find one single thing that isn't a trigger." That was no joke either!! I would smoke after every single task I completed. Not only that but I'd smoke during every single task. I'm embarrassed to admit that but it shows you what a serious addict I am. Now I go around constantly chewing sugar free gum and candy, chewing on toothpicks, straws, you name it. I'm constantly chewing on something just like I was constantly smoking. Seriously, that is so embarrassing to admit. Sitting and concentrating on NOT smoking would have driven me up the wall. :8o: I couldn't do that so I would, and still will, go to sleep when the cravings are real bad. I know exactly what you mean by rebuilding your life. That's what I'm doing too. I never got into going to the gym but I love walking, hiking, and any kind of exercise that's really fun. But like you, I've had the worst time getting motivated again. What is with that? After this length of time you would think our energy level would be up again. I even have to make myself do my household chores. Maybe part of that is because I know I'll want to smoke after completing each task. Your first paragraph on diabetes is so touching. My Dad passed away due to complications of diabetes. He waited too long to take care of the disease and watch his diet. As soon as I was diagnosed, I dove right into the diet. The worst part of it for me is having only a small portion of potatoes. I could wallow in potatoes. ;p Sweets aren't a big deal to me. All I know is that I can take a lot but the thought of suffering and my family seeing me suffer from this disease is more than I can stand. My husband WON'T buy sweets for me. I've even tested him and he got mad when I asked him for a Milky Way. So that's good but my Mom just hates to see me go without them. Try, tell your husband that y
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
try, You need to become yourself again. You are are wrestling with a lot of emotions and feelings. You know where you want to be, so make preparation to get there. You know how to exercise and eat right, so put the same determination and perseverance into this as you have your quit. Include your husband and let him know it can be for the both of you. The battle is difficult and you need to do for yourself or you will struggle each day. Take it day by day, come up with a plan and start slow. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. Your hubby seems like a great guy, I think he will understand that your are not happy and that you need to help yourself. Encourage him to support or stay out of your way, the fit truck is on its way in! Let us know if we can assist you, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.
17 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tutti, my mother was diabetic. My dad always felt sorry for her because she would cry, sit and just cry because she wanted candy, cookies, cakes and doughnuts. He felt so sorry for her that he kept bringing these things home to make her happy. When she lost one of her legs, it didn't help. She cried, he felt sorry, he bought more and she ate more. When she lost her other leg, it didn't change anything. She cried, he felt sorry and the goodie basket was never empty. Finally she died. He cried and I felt sorry. Food is worse than cigarettes. Which is why I have been thin all my adult life. Since I was 20 years old when I went from a 22 to a 4, and stayed there until not long ago. I am the gym rat and have been all my life until I quit smoking and lost energy and enthusiasim. Now, I'm starting to go back, and it is HARD not the work outs, but getting the interest going to where it was. Not smoking has taken up so much energy, thinking, time, and resources that there is little left for anything else. I could sit and concentrate on not having a cigarette for hours. Really hours. I can't go for a walk, makes the craving worse, can't take a shower, makes the craving worse. Can't pet the dog, fer kryin out loud, it makes me want a cig, not to mention watching tv or reading a book. So, for hours I would just sit, concentrate, watch the clock. That phase is getting to be over now, and I'm able to expand my horizons a little bit. When I looked in the mirror, it was like seeing another person. Fat, in disarray, no makeup (putting on makeup was a big trigger). I look like a fat bag lady. Not only quitting smoking, but now my entire life has to be rebuilt! I just don't want to be told I'm as thin as ever. I want to be told that I will get as thin as I ever was. May as well tell me I still have black hair, that's been gone for ten years! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 85 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,568 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $850 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24

Reading this thread: