Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Am I doing wrong?

17 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Katie. I quit one week ago today. Here is what I did, everyone has their own ideas, but it has worked for me so far.....I quit "cold turkey." Every time I wanted a cigarette I just put it off. Then I would forget about it. I would actually tell myself If I still wanted one in 1 hour, I would go buy a pack. Then I would forget about it. Whenever I would think about it again, I realized that I was still surviving without that cigarette, I survived without cigarettes in before I started smoking, and I would survive now. I took it one crave at a time and it has been 7 days! You owe it to yourself to just try it, even if it is one hour at a time. Hang in there and be the strong person that you are.
17 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Katie, In relation to your question on how long nicotine stays in your system, I believe, that physically it does take about 3 days to leave, as one of our fellow freedom fighters said(I think it was Stormy), however, mentally, I don't think the temptation to smoke ever leaves, it only fades away. Once you accept that, then, I believe, you can face up to your addiction and deal with it. Gillian Riley has written a book called "How to stop smoking and stay stopped for good". She advises that first of all you should recognise your desire to smoke(which can be difficult at times), accept that you have the freedom to smoke, tell yourself that you are just one puff away from smoking(and all the consequences of that decision) but choose, for the moment,not to smoke. I don't know if this kind of thinking would suit everyone but it is helping me. Best of luck. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 44 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 247 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
you can always try chantix. There are a few people including me on it. I work in a pharmacy and have got nothing but good feedback. You smoke for the first week while taking it. Some insurances pay for it also the Dr has coupons for $10.00 off but sometines you have to ask.It is worth a try. jnine :)
17 years ago 0 247 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
wishing you all the luck you need, with enough will power you can make it. I just don't have alot of willpower. Good luck and stay close. Jnine
17 years ago 0 449 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang in there. I used the Chantix too and it worked well for me so keep it tucked. I basically stayed glued to this board for week one. Not many have that luxery - I had to reschedule some work and my husband helped out with household stuff, but I was here 20 hours a day almost? It was the best thing I ever did for myself so stay close. As for the office politics. I deal with some pretty intense, insane, Peyton Place stuff at work, it was hard and still is but the craving do pass as you know. Keep it up. Marie
17 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I will also tell u what worked for me. I quit cold turkey and drank lots of water and juice. I also took my dogs for lots of walks to keep my mind off of it. I also ate everything i wanted, some say not to do that but it worked for me. If i gain 10 pounds its better than having cancer and stinking. I also started running which feels great. You just gotta find what works for you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 393 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $66.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I did see how you saw through the patch issue, but wanted to use your post to put in my 2 cents on the issue. I admire you for going w/o the nic. substitution. I'm sorry you are having a rough day of it. I see alot of people, myself included who are gung ho in the first day or so. It is exciting to change, we are comming out of the gate so to speak. Then it all hits; the withdrawals and the not being able to and having to deal with everything else in our live w/o our crutch. It's tough. It is a battle. Be extra nice to yourself right now as you fight for your life. Most of this stuff will pass, if it doesn't keep posting and we'll deal with it then. Othewise, live through it believing that one day you will wake up feeling quite different and being able to look back at some really good smoke-free time accumulated. Hang in there today. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 215 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $105 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm late in seeing this, but just a note to bring up with your DR. (for anyone else having trouble with the patch) is to consider the number of cigarettes you are smoking at the point you put on the patch. In a previous quit I was smoking about a pack and 1/2 a day and started with 21 patch and did just fine. This past time I was smoking about 10-12 cig.s a day usually and was cutting down in anticipation of my quit. I started with the 21 patch and thought I was gonna stroke out. I quickly went down to just the 14 patch. Hope your hanging in there Katie. Don't let the quit throw you a curve ball. You may have to change routes, but it's all worth it in the end. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 215 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $105 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Katie - I would say by day 4 most of the nicotine is out of your system...but, you are so right, we ex-smokers smoked when we did everything and it takes awhile to change our thoughts & patterns (replacing those smoking memories with non-smoking memories) It sounds like you are doing great (We all get the "crankies")...There is lots of great support here to help you along the rest of your journey. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 130 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,616 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $650 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Katie, I'm using both the patch and Wellbutrin. If you take just the Wellbutrin they say to take it starting 10 days before your quit. How long have you been taking it? And the nicotine takes about 3 days to get out of your system. Remember to drink lots of water. Hope that helps a bit. Let us know how you're doing. Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 71 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $18 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26

Reading this thread: