Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,660 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ, Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA

Something I do...

17 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For some this might be too much of a temptation, but here goes. Firstly - I have not smoked indoors for a good 10 years. Meaning it's a habit to step outside the front door to smoke. Now, I do crave a cigarette at times, the same way I crave chocolate. I really, really fancy some - but if I don't have any, then I forget about it shortly after. But... then I nibble. *sigh* So the other day I was bemoaning the fact that I 'd like to have something to get my mind off the nibbles, something *like* a cigarette but not a cigarette. So I reached for a cigarette. Instead of lighting it, I dripped peppermint oil on the tip. So "inhaling" through the cigarette gets me the peppermint smell atm, nothing more. I just drip more onto it (the same one) and "inhale". When the craving gets really hard and I need to collect my thoughts, I grab that peppermint oiled Ciggy and step outside. I don't even have to put it in my mouth, but if I'm out there without that thing, I feel even dumber (not that I don't feel dumb doing this), and it seems to help getting my mind off things. Note - do NOT light it, and if you are tempted to light up, don't do this. I have a feeling if they made peppermint flavored inhalers that had the feel of a -filter- cigarette... (I don't like those plastic cigarette shaped things, and they'd get me nicotine which is what I *don't* want.) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 821 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �125.55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know every quit is different. However, I also know that for me I could never have cigarettes in the house. On many occasions this last few weeks I would have lit one up if I had access. I think that just knowing that they were there and waiting would have driven me crazy. My advice would be to use some kind of substitute. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/23/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 836 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $230 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Why do you have cigarettes at your disposal to dip? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 95 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to agree with everyone here. I couldn't have even an ashtray around.. I discarded anything and everything which reminded me of smoking. Hell I even threw out a 1/2 bottle of very expensive perfume because I wore it when I went out with friends to dinner and a bar for some drinks. It, the perfume, reminded me of smoking.. and poof it was in the garbage can. I just don't think that having any tobacco products around will make the quit easier, coz it's already so damn hard! All the best, Monica58 [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/Angel.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 54 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $18 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry the more I think about this the less I like it..... Please ditch it for me!! Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 153 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,222 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �803.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 30 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not sure....... Its working for you....... But 27 days in surely you can ditch the weeds? Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 153 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,216 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �803.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 30 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
17 years ago 0 1127 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Anatis, When you quit smoking you have to think like a non-smoker. The thing with you is you act like a non-smoker but you think as a smoker. Try to change your mind about cigarets, like Mr. Ed said. Then you will feel a lot better. Good luck. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 283 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,494 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �834.85 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kind of like the alcoholic keeping a bottle of gin around to sniff when he's craving. :quest: Not a good idea..... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 121 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,081 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $968 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anatis, Each to his/her own. As long as you stay quit. However, in my opinion, your quit is at risk until you realise that you are not denying yourself something nice. In the same way, I don't believe that willpower has anything to do with it. It is not attractive to me, so I don't have to drag myself away from the tobacco store, kicking and screaming. I have spent much of my quit so far not feeling 'normal', but I don't look at smokers and envy them. I PITY them. When a quitter truly believes that this is a nasty horrible addiction and nothing more than that is the time that they have won the battle. Sorry, but it sounds to me like you're still missing them. Mr Ed :8|: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 328 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,855 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �2460 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
17 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anatis, I do have some mixed feelings about this. A substitute is perfectly ok, but yours could be too close to a cig. Lots of folks use a straw cut in half. I agree with imall...don't have any real cigarettes around you. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 755 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 21,153 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2642.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 105 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
  • Quit Meter

$54,995.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 649 Hours: 11

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: