Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

How many times have you "quit"

17 years ago 0 140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is my 2nd (and last) quit. Over 3 years ago, I quit (using Zyban) and was smoke-free for 2-1/2 years. Not sure why I relapsed - it kind of snuck up on me. It proves that you are NEVER safe, and must remain vigilent ALWAYS. There is no such thing as "relaxing" after you've achieved a pre-determined number of days. My relapse lasted about 9-10 months. Quitting this time (actually, deciding to do it) was harder than the 1st time. But overall, I feel better this time - I'm not obsessing about cigarettes every minute of the day. sushik [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 881 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $315 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Boy Darcy that is scarey. I have smoked 35 yrs :( Goodness! I am diffently a #3! I seldom even thought about quitting. Smoking was just part of me. My cough was getting bad and it embarressed me. :blush: But still i didnt ever see myself as not smoking. I was giving a lozenger,late last week.....and to my surprised it seemed to help! I woke up Sat morn had my usual coffee and cigs. That was it! I still cant say i have quit. I am saying i am trying. I mean i think i am still walking around in shock! I still have my beloved cig case with cigs in it. Thinking of having some personal ritual as a depart from it, Lost my mind eh LOL Correen [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 193 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
17 years ago 0 97 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This will be my second, and hopefully last, attempt. 14 months ago I started smoking after being a non-smoker for 2.5 years (898 days to be exact). I used Welbutrin and it was a lot easier than I had thought it would be. But obviously it didn't hold because I'm smoking again. This time around we have no insurance and are low on funds. The compnay we sunk our savings into went bankrupt today and the unemployment insurance ran out last week. So this time I'm going to do it without the aid of meds...but I have a trick up my sleeve this time... Wanna know what it is? It's you guys. I figure I can't fail this time, becuase this time I have to be held accountable. You see, last time no one cared if I quit (my husband still smokes and the kids have never known anything but mom with a cigarette). Oh there was a little fuss when I started back up, but none from my husband and the kids didn't say much more than "we figured you would". This time I have all of you to disappoint and I have a feeling some of you might tar and feather me :8o: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 1127 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is my first quit. I have no problems what so ever. I do NOT know what craving is. I searched the internet for more than 3 months before my quit-date and I know a lot about smoking. What I have discovered is this: People will have problems if they quit but still THINK as a smoker. Most people act as if they are non-smokers, but they keep thinking as a smoker. A smoker thinks he/she is missing something by not having cigarets. That is the biggest mistake quiters make. I know some people wil disagree with this but this is my opinion. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 95 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,383 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �280.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
17 years ago 0 322 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lashes, Ive quit over ten times in ten years-tried the lot incl cold turkey which was my best 3 month and failed miserably. Now Zyban is great-its giving me that hope and yesterday I never took a pill-so something is working. If we wanna do it-we will-print of Nicodemons Lies on the Intro Page and keep it by your side-I refer to it constantly-it gives me hope in the fact that this is my last quit---EVER!!! Jacko [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/27/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 408 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �120 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
17 years ago 0 213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My fifth quit. 1st was 1 month 2nd was 7 years 3rd was 3 months 4th was 3 months This is my fifth. I notice the difference between my quits is my attitude. The 7 year quit and this quit, I am note thinking of not smoking as a loss but a gain. I true believe it is mind over matter. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 548 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $97.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
17 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i quit two years ago for about 10 months and the whole time i resented it even though it was all my ide to quit smoking in the first place but i never felt quite right the whole time . so i guess i really never wanted to stop smoking but now this time i feel in control of my quit and the ssc is a huge help in keeping my mind in the right state and helping give me motavation . the only good thing about previous quit attemps is know what to except . sort of [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 308 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $91 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
17 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What I saw in the last 16 years...before I met my husbands his father quit smoking at the age of 62, nine years later he was diagnosed with cancer of the larnyx (from smoking). I met him at the age of 70 after they removed his larnyx. I watched him gasp for breath and he talked with what he called a "squak box". He passed away in April of 1992 and my husband and I were married in June. He did tell us he would not be at our wedding. Two years ago on New Years Eve my mother-in-law (heavy smoker for over 40 years) couldn't even take 10 steps to get into a car to go to the hospital because she could no longer breath. She was in the hospital for a couple of weeks being treated for COPD then came home on oxygen for many months (great thing is she has not touched a cigarette). (Same thing with her sister but she is still smoking and on oxygen...not a good combination). When I think about that stinking cigarette I picture these three family members and then I think....do I really want to suffocation myself...to me that seem like what happened and what is happening. So stay strong everyone and take that deep deep breath and be thankful you can do it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 479 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $116 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning Lashes and friends, this is alo my third time, first 1.5 year, then a few years later 8 months. I think I started again because those times ,I was doing it to please hubby and the kids. This time I am doing it for myself first and they will enjoy the benefits. Jacko be careful with the Zyban I think medication should always be taken as prescribed. And remember smoking is bad for your health :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 335 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
17 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Lashes, those are good questions. Personally I think that some of those points are myths. I think that they are myths to keep us smoking. 1. Yes you should keep trying, but if you go into it, thinking well if i fail i can always do it again, your chances of relapse are far higher. 2. Another myth. What makes you think that you will be more ready to quit smoking in a year two years three years, than you are now? It will be exactly the same, unless of course if you have to give up for health reasons.. and by then it might be too late. 3. I think this is the only one I agree with :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 577 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �172.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17

Reading this thread: