Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

HELP>>>Please tell me it will get easier.

17 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stubbing out that last cigarette, and making the decision was the hardest thing that you had to do. Everything after that, you can do, if you can make the decision and stick to it,you have the willpower to keep going. Everyone is different but from my experience (I have experienced week one and two loads of times in the last 6 months)... cravings should get less intense and further apart. But remember this - they only have the power you allow it to have YOU are in control of your mind and your thinking!! I know that sounds easy in theory... Just think of how filthy those cigarettes were, the smell of you hair and clothes. Being a slave to nicotine. Not just for that one cigarette that you choose to take, but all day every day... until when?? Forever, or until you choose to quit... and then go through it all over again.... Aragh I did that so many times this time I am going right through it.It does get better, just remind yourself as many times as you can WHY you quit, and what you honestly think of smoking and what it brings to your life. Dont see a cigarette as ONE - see the reality of the hundreds of thousands you might smoke as a result of that one.. Keep going Jeani........... dont give it power, and say that outloud if you have to.. YOU are in control, YOU are in power. Dont let your mind play tricks on you! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 78 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
I think BF is right. Our brains create grooves, we do what we automatically do, but it doesnt mean that we CANT change. For example, in UK we drive on left hand side of the road. Does that mean that we cant drive abroad because we always drive on left hand side? No, at first we might find it more difficult, as auto pilot will go to drive on left... as we are thinking with our subconcious... But we can pretty soon create a new groove, and learn to drive on the right. Quitting smoking is a bit like that, you need to create new things. Smoking is two things 1. Addiction (I reckon it takes around 3 weeks before you feel ok really, but thats my experience) 2. Habit (when you have just had a meal, when you are drinking etc) Thats about it really. So you are dealing with the addiction - but are you also dealing with the habit?? Find some new grooves and some new things to do, to get into the habit of doing, rather than smoking. Go through your cravings deep breathing, just like women get through labour pains with deep breathing... when its gone you will be chuffed that you overcame it. Keep going, and dont be scared. IT WILL GET BETTER. Maybe you had unrealistic views and thought after day 3 it would be fine... in my experience its more like 3 weeks before I find it much easier to get rid of the habit. Hope this makes sense. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 103 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
Jeani, you have to let it go, STOP GIVING IT POWER. The mind is powerful, it can play tricks and can only do what you allow it to.. Are you rewarding yourself. Are you taking up sports to burn up your extra energy? What are you doing with your time? Something more than sitting around thinking about not smoking I hope? Do yourself a favour, get the Allen Carr book, The Easyway to stop smoking. IT WORKS i promise you, it will help with your brainwashing. I dont think there will ever be a magic day when you dont think about smoking. it will always be there and you will always be an addict, but thats ok, as the cravings will become less and less. You have to become more expert at dealing with them. REFUSING TO GIVE THE NICOTINE DEMON ITS POWER! Its crying out because its desperate for nicotine now... DO NOT FEED IT!! If you feed it, you are back at square one. Why did you quit smoking? Tell me why you quit, what were your reasons? You have to love quitting more than you love shoving those filthy cigarettes down your throat, paying to choke yourself. Remember that, it only has the power YOU give it, YOU are in charge of your mind. The mind can play tricks, but it cannot take a joke, so laugh at it... You can the power and control over your mind and body. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 103 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Try to just handle it one day at a time...or one hour at a time..however you have to do it to just get through it...it does get easier...you just have to get used to living your life in a new way...a better,easier nicer way...I smoked for 23 years & I know how hard it is to stop...you are not gonna die from a craving....but you very well could die from continuing to smoke...good luck...just don't smoke...not one puff-its so not worth it!!! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 560 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $190.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 394 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HIP HOORAY FOR BREAKIN FREE-- re: above post [font=Stencil]When will the demon release you? As soon as you release him. Does that make sense to you?[/font] LOVE THAT ONE :) I also got comfort in ...> [i]Everytime you get a trigger to smoke ... do something different. Redirect your brain, your thinking, what you are doing. Create a new memory[/i] :) Jeanie girl its not easy to stop--but its worth it! Its hard I agree-I have been a extremely heavy smoker 26 years 35-44 cigs a day. Given up on giving up and afraid of failure..etc Everyones quit is different--however i do believe your intense craving will pass soon or get easier. Yes the first 3 days are terrible-- but you have to agree that today its a bit different than those days?? Personally i also still go through a tough time but its easier than my first 3 and day 6 when i almost gave in!! :( Jeanie: Post often and take advice we are all here. I take the opprtunity to thank you Breaking free in this thread of the support you have given me. I am still scared of fail, but your quotes etc have been very useful. WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER.. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 484 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $174.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 394 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
DO NOT GIVE UP---HANG IN THERE WE ALL KNOW HOW HARD IT IS ann [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 440 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $159 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 46 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Had a bit of that "nico nico DEAMON myself" ACTUALLY WENT TO BUY FAGS GOT ONE IN MY MOUTH AND...............................didnt do it went to big shop and got sum nrt.ONLY for the extreme.So i know how you are feeling.Its tough cookies this givin up tough cookies.But i am sure that when you get to the end of the day and not smoked you feel very very proud of yourself as you should be.i`m sure i can pretty much speak for anyone that has, that is, that will be giving up smoking are all proud of you for keeping on track 8 days sumthins workin keep it up.. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 170 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
17 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Your thoughts and advice are really great....it keeps me going... i will learn to focus on other things besides my quit, and start enjoying life as a non smoker...i feel calmer today..but i shall stay on gaurd.. now every morning with my cup tea i come here to get my day off to the right start, you are all wonderful quitters. I suppose practice makes perfect... i am staying the course... all the best jeanigirl.. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 110 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $38 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
I have put my brain in training, that really does sound like the way to go, i was a smoker for over 20 years, so i need to change thought patterns, very logical and very helpful. I actually feel better this evening the first time since i quit, i am so happy to be here, a sence of relief came over me, Im thankful for the quiters who have gone before me and are willing to share and encourage us all on, i keep saying to myself this is possible....overide.. all that brainwashing.. NOW.. a small detail i hope i get some sleep tonight.. all the best jeanigirl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 104 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $38 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
Today was a good day, where would i have been without all your valuble advice.. I kept busy busy busy, fought off the demon, craved, fought off that, its like learning to walk all over again... One day at a time, i cant project any further than that. I am sticking with the program and shout N.O.P.E every time i drive past a store... I hope all is well with you all... i still have insomnia..but thats a small price to pay at this point....Mornings are still the hardest.. but i do see progress.. hanging tough jeanigirl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 116 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $38 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7

Reading this thread: