Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

What happened????

15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Jaci you did all the hard work ! I am so pleased you made the trip , yet another victory to notch up yayyy .
15 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jaci!
I am so happy for you!!!! Yes, We all can relate! What is awesome is that you faced your fear head on and you did it!!!!
Birdie

15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow congratulations on your great success Jaci!

I am very happy for you! Way to go!

-Diva
15 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!  Thanks everyone for all your well wishes and comforting words.  I did it!!!  I drove my dog to her vet appointment today.  Was a little anxious about the trip and during the drive, but never had an "attack".  Just kept thinking about my breathing and how I've done this drive a million times and never had a problem.  And it worked.  Of course the trip how was fine.  Never seem to have a problem once the initial fear has passed.
You all are great!!!!  It's so comforting to know there's someone else out there that knows exactly what I'm feeling and that I can talk to any time I need to.
15 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jaci,

You may benefit from reviewing the earlier lessons of the program. They focus on challenging those negative "what ifs"

Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
Thats so true Birdie and a great help to some people reading im sure of it .

15 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I like to make a trip like that as positive as I can like, go with the attitude of I can do this!!! Listen to your favorite cd, possibly a relaxing one.
Stop for a treat on the way or treat your dog and yourself some how when you get home...Maybe put a note to yourself on the dash board
like I won't believe the lie anxiety is trying to tell me.  I literally try to stop myself now when I start the days ahead thinking cause it ruins what
could have been a good day.  I also think about all the times I have driven without anxiety and remember I can do this and that it is definitely
worth doing.  If I panic I do, this too will pass and I will be ok.  I still have succeeded in some way by just facing it! I also like to notice my
surroundings and if it is a beautiful day enjoy that!
Birdie

The wonderful 'what if's' arghhhhhhhhhh .

Jaci this is a hard one to answer . I usually torture myself with those immortal words till the event i have to do happens . I went to a hospital appointment for myself a few weeks ago . It was one i had been dreading for a few weeks prior . It was an hours drive there plus the time in hospital and back . I was terrifyed of the procedure i was having done . But i did it , still dont know how !!

Now i tell myself if i did that that then i can make the supermarket etc . There are days when i dont want to do that , but as long as i plan what i buying before it gives me alot of comfort . 

15 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
yes, does anyone else having coping methods they use?  I'm having a bad day again today.  Managed to check off another exposure plan on my list.  I moved back to my own house last night after work.
It was nice to sleep in my own bed, and I felt great today.  But now I'm starting the "what if's".  I have to take my dog to the vet on Monday.  And today is only Saturday and already I'm worried about the drive there.
It's only an hour away, and all I can think about is a panic attack hitting while I'm on the road.  My nerves affect my dog, just like they affect a person's children or spouse.  And I hate making her anxious.  Especially when she has to go in for her annual shots.
I can't seem to get past the "what if's".  I know that I will probably have no trouble at all on Monday, but right now I can't seem to get past that.
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Birdie,

Thank you so much for sharing your coping mechanisms with the members, it is very helpful.
Challenging your thoughts is a great way to overcome anxious feelings. It sounds like you are doing really well!

Does anybody else have coping strategies that they use and find helpful?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: