Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Quit date in T-4 hours

Timbo637

2021-04-10 6:08 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

13 Years today!!

ScouseMouse

2021-04-09 12:23 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Wheel of Emotions

ScouseMouse

2021-04-09 11:53 AM

Depression Community

logo

Downward spiral

Ashley -> Health Educator

2021-04-07 6:22 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Most Loved Posts:

Browse through 411311 posts in 46950 threads.

136,459 Members

Please welcome our newest members: armp, TurkeySoup, SteveAdamkewicz, Sheila Keeping, lucileken56

Re introduce myself

a month ago 0 Lynn123 322 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

John,

Hello and welcome! Coming to the realization that alcohol should not be a part of your life is hard. Seeing a counselor can be tough too. They often help us reveal aspects of our lives that we would rather stay hidden. These revelations are important though because we can't work on things that we don't know about.

It seems you are taking great first steps in the right direction. I wish you lots of luck. Hang in there!

Lynn

Hello,

Im new here - couldn’t seem to post in the intro area but I like what I see in this discussion. I can relate to all. I’ve been drinking for many years, sometimes socially and other times , too many times it has been a disaster with many casualties. sometimes I take a break. I need the sobriety to last this time. I need it for my family, for myself too. My doctor sent me to this site for daily accountability and I have begun seeing a counsellor. Apparently that is what I’m missing. I am facing some difficult truths but perhaps that means progress. No more blaming others. I’m ready. I need help. Thank you.

John

Hi Gus,

Congrats on making it over a week. Yay! How did you reward yourself?

It is recommended to take at least 90 days away from alcohol. Six months is even better!

Your emergency plan is solid. I am confident in your confidence. You will do this. The fact that you are posting so regularly is also solidifying your break. Awesome work!

Thank you for being here,

Ashley

a month ago 0 Lynn123 322 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Gus,

Congratulations! It sounds like you have a solid plan and are on the right path. I know exactly what you are talking about, drawing the line in the sand. Once I told myself that I wasn't drinking again, it felt like a huge weight had been lifted. Sure, I had said I wasn't drinking before but in the back of my mind, I knew I really didn't mean it. Saying it and meaning it, meant that I didn't have to wonder when that next drink would be. There wasn't going to be one. It was horrifying to say it that first time but with every passing day, I realized the pressure was subsiding.

Taking things one day at a time. Slowing down and recognizing our accomplishments is key. It's all about the little things because they build-up to the bigger things. Keep up the nice work!

Lynn

a month ago (Edited a month ago) 0 GusA 114 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hey grapeseed,

Good to hear from you. I hope you can get a helpful idea or two from my posts.

Regarding the cravings issue - Allan Carrs book Easy Way to Control Alcohol clarified that issue for me. A “craving” is not really a craving for alcohol. It’s simply a feeling of uneasiness - that something is missing. When I drank, I did so in the evening, in front of the TV. I don’t actually “crave” alcohol. Rather, I am looking for something to have in my hand while watching TV. I have replaced alcohol with diet pop. I even pour it into the small glass I used when I drank alcohol. Diet pop is not that great for me either, but it won’t do the damage alcohol does.

I don’t know if my answer makes sense, but that’s how I’m thinking about it.

Also, I try not to worry about drinking too much. I have crossed the line in the sand now. I have decided on a 6 month break, which is August 31st. I’m not drinking for at least 6 months, so I don’t need to worry about it. I have found in the past that if I worried too much, I would think about alcohol too much. I’m just trying to form a new way living. Alcohol is not part of my plan for me right now.

One day at a time is the only way we can live. It’s the only way we can do anything really. You not skipping your workout today - that’s the type of living we need to focus on. We can’t magically get fit overnight. But if we stick with our regular regime, it pays off longer term. I just have to be patient. One day at a time can lead to huge improvement over the long term.

Hope you have a great day! Take care.

gus

a month ago +10 grapeseed 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 6

Big congrats to you buddy! The first week was the toughest for me. I can't believe you didn't have cravings. What is your secret? I have been following your posts and it sounds like you are doing really good. I am learning a lot from what you are writing too.....so thanks for that!

Walking or any kind of exercise really helps me too. I am using exercise to cope with my cravings. It is kind of working. I am not drinking but I am still not happy about it some days. One day at a time I guess.

a month ago (Edited a month ago) +9 GusA 114 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 8

Well I made it through week 1 with no alcohol. I honestly did not have any withdrawal symptoms, and did not have any urges to drink at all. Now I just want to repeat the week over again/ I don't expect to have urges, as my mindset is set up properly now. Even if I do have urges, I have my 3 option plan to get me out of that urge. Those being hypnosis, long walks and other exercise, and online AA support meetings. 

Have a great week guys!

Well I made it through week 1 with no alcohol. I honestly did not have any withdrawal symptoms, and did not have any urges to drink at all. Now I just want to repeat the week over again/ I don't expect to have urges, as my mindset is set up properly now. Even if I do have urges, I have my 3 option plan to get me out of that urge. Those being hypnosis, long walks and other exercise, and online AA support meetings. 

Have a great week guys!

a month ago +7 Lynn123 322 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 6

Gus,

The mind is a powerful thing, isn't it? Fortunately, it doesn't always have to work against us, we can use it to our advantage. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your plan to overcome any obstacle that may come your way.

I look forward to reading about your journey. Stay strong! :)

Lynn

a month ago +9 GusA 114 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 5

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for responding.

Yes, I'm ready to give my body and mind a good break from alcohol. I decided to give myself another break because the alcohol was again creating too many problems in my life. Its caused problems in relationships. It is also causing problems with how my mind functions. I am taking anti depressants right now, and I think I ended up on them due at least partly to alcohol consumption.

I know you recommended 90 days as a break, but I feel like I need a longer break. And yes, posting here regularly helped me immensely before, so I intend on posting all 180 days, even if Im not getting a response, just to keep myself focused.

What will I do if somehow rationalize the need for a drink? In my last stint being alcohol free, Im pretty sure that did not occur. But if it does occur, I have several tools I am going to use:

1)I have been doing a quit drinking hypnosis by Michael sealed lately (its on Youtube). He gets you to picture the urge for a drink in the past , then fast forward to the bad things that happened. I intend on picturing bad things happening the minute I get an urge

2)I can go for a long walk if I get an urge to drink. I recall doing alot of long walks when I stopped from 2015 to 2017.

3)I can attend an AA meeting on Zoom. If I attend those meetings, I wont drink. Attending those meetings is a good reminder of what can go wrong when I drink.

Thanks for asking the question Ashley. It just made me refocus on what to do if that happens.

Have a great day!

Welcome back Gus!

Great to hear from you, although sorry to hear you had a bumpy ride. It sounds like you are ready to get down to business. I think posting here daily will greatly help you, and also help this site! We need more people like you posting, so thank you for taking us along for the ride

Six months is an admirable goal. I think it will give you a lot of clarity, your body and mind will thank you. What made you decide that now is the time?

I love your mindset! It sounds like you are starting off very strong. What will you do if you some how rationalize a reason to drink? How will you handle it?

Looking forward to reading more from you.

Take care,

Ashley

P.S Thanks for the kudos. It brightened my day :)

Reading this thread: