Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,784 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA, RBORBON

Help

12 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Motivation,

I feel your pain and your fear.  I also have kids in the rep sports circuit and a marriage that has been pushed to the back burner.  It's really good to hear you have your husbands support.

You are so right.  Now is the time to take care of yourself for you as well as for your family.  Have you confided in your family doctor?  Who else do you have as supports?  I found an addiction counsellor really helpful in preparing for withdrawal and the early days of abstinence.  It has taken me two years to get from first asking for help, to now being 3 1/2 weeks sober, attending support groups and hoping to begin an outpatient treatment program in a couple of weeks.  Take one step at a time.  You have probably spent many years doing things on other people's schedules and being available to help everyone else when they need it.  Now is the time to carve out some time and energy to focus on getting yourself out of this crazy cycle.  I know you can do it.  Hang in there and remember that it will get easier.

Athena
12 years ago 0 270 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
motivation,

Thanks for sharing your story with us. It sounds like you have been going through a really challenging time recently. The good news is that you've reached out for help. Your husband sounds committed to helping you make positive changes and the online support community we have here is one of the best means of delivering support as well! Many members here have had similar experiences and are very well placed to lend an ear or offer suggestions as far as your quit is concerned.

Posting often about your daily challenges/successes will likely be of great help in managing cravings, dealing with any withdrawal symptoms you may experience, keeping motivated, etc. I really look forward to sharing this journey with you as I'm sure our members do as well.

What are you finding challenging in your quit and what coping strategies have you found useful so far? Do you have a plan in place for dealing with situations in which you may feel tempted to drink?

Please let us know.

Sonia

12 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I'm new just looking for a little advice. I'm a mother of seven a combined family for about 8 and half years. I have alwasy been a drinker but never considered myself  a alcholic. I'm a sports mom with a lot of kids in rep sports. Always busy but live for them. I drank at all there functions as everybody else did. A few of our kids are know young men. Put us threw hell any way my home life started to tumble. Know help from my husband felt like he didn't even new I was there. I had to deal with all there troubles. I had no support or at least I feel like I had none. Had know realationship with my husband all he focus on was the other kids. Well I started heavily drinking to feel the void in all the places. Now it has come all out let him know how bad it really is. I was trying to stop but can't it really hurts. I'm ready to rip someones face off shortly after I walk threw the door if I can't have a drink. It hurts because all I want to do is stop now for myself and family. How could something get this far out of hand. I finally got his attention and he is working with me. He says he loves me and is going to walk the walk with me. But I'm so sick I cant stop. HELP

Reading this thread: