Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Week 4

10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cary, 

I responded to your previous posts but just wanted to emphasize that we're here for you!  
Take your quit one moment at a time if need be.  Log on to the SSC community and post as often as you need to!
Vincenza, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
its so hard 5days 
10 years ago 0 152 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thanks Hamlet for the encouragement and info!  Looking forward to that 'easier' time :) 

Thanks Working for the alcohol info.  I'm just not going to drink for a while.  I can basically take it or leave it, so will leave it until I feel more comfortable about drinking/not smoking.

Moving myself off the 'quitting this month board' because I'm in a new month!!!

Carol
10 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi carols will get easier just keep taking it one day at a time . Takes time but we will get there . Good luck
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm just catching up. Responding to the alcohol thing. It can be annoying to drink for a while, since there is such a paired association with alcohol and nicotine. I also became a much cheaper drunk after I quit smoking, since nicotine and alcohol tend to counteract the effects of one another. Good news is that I went out for a beer the other night and had no cravings at all. Not to mention the fact that one beer was plenty to get me where I wanted to be. It was nice.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,551.85

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 19

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thanks Deb and same to you!  Your 4 week anniversary is Today!!!!   We are running around nic naked, glorying in our freedom!!!! 

Scary dream this AM.  2 weeks from today I leave on my western US wildlife expedition, 7 states with lots of visits to remote places and hiking at altitude!  There are 6 people on the trip plus guide.  My dream was that after our first dinner together Everyone on the trip lit up a cigarette!!!  Even my girlfriend that I'm traveling with who Doesn't Smoke!!   I was in a cold sweat and yelling This is a Non Smoking trip and at Betty (my friend) when did You start smoking!!  This is when I woke up shaking!  LOL it better be a non smoking trip  

I just want Done with cigs and move on, but the ghosts of 38 years of addiction/habit will not be exorcised that easily.  But I remain undaunted, forging ahead to in my new  Clean Air life!!!

Yours in Quitting,

Carol

10 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats Carol! U should be feeling pretty darn good about yourself today! I am so proud of u!!! xo

Hey Confetti Time!!!!    4 weeks in the rear view mirror   Final bit of  last night was a challenge with music, alcohol and smokers....it's a holiday weekend here and I attended a bonfire at friends.  Getting tipsy was not a recipe for dealing with cravings which got quite strong as others were smoking.  Anyway marching forward Nic Naked (TM) on day 29 with a bit of a hangover!!!!  Think I'll stay in tonight :)

Happy, Smoke Free weekend to all,

Carol

10 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
carol... how's it feeling to be nic naked?  haha, love that!  

congrats on keeping to your quit... and also for being diligent about your diet... that's what my biggest issue is right now... so i need to work on that... but i am taking it easy on myself and tackling the biggest and most important issue which is just to keep not smoking.  

hope you and everyone have a peaceful, happy weekend! 

Thanks Jim, wow so many important milestones approaching for me :)  I will indeed celebrate all of them with Confetti, Rituals and Rejoicing!  Just Not Food.

Meanwhile nic free, I bought a pack of 2mg gum 3 days ago and have used 1 piece   Don't need it, just was scared that first day nic naked, but have now proven to myself I do not need it in any form.....

My only problem (aside from all the withdrawal symptoms LOL) is the scale, up another pound   I talked to my doctor; she said my endocrine system is in free fall and  will take a few months to find equilibrium.  Just need to continue to eat healthy, exercise and don't fret about it.  The weight will go up before it comes back down and that is just part of the process.  So I'm sticking to my 1300-1500 calorie days and my 5+ miles which was my normal maintenance routine pre quit.  That may not keep me where I want to be long term anymore as my new normalized metabolic rate will be lower, but I'll deal with that later.  For now I just have to stop getting upset about it, which isn't easy considering how much effort I've put in over a lifetime of staying thin. I feel like a fat slob :(

But I'm a non-smoker and that is the payoff

Carol

Reading this thread: