Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

embarassed

16 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Seamus, yes the confidence thing. We need a lot of this stuff to stay quit, cos we all know we can never let our guard down when Addiction is in town. Do not give in to weekness.. give it the finger ! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 922 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 32,270 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5,993.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 131 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
  • Quit Meter

$12,491.58

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 625 Hours: 1

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Butterfly Swimmer, your last post on here brought tears to my eyes. In the post you say to love myself, where is the faith in myself etc.......To be very honest with all of you, that is the problem. I have no faith in myself, I do not love myself, I have very little self confidence. Now, when I write this, I am not asking for people to start responding to this post telling me how such a wonderful person i am etc..... I am simply being honest with all of you. Thank you all for the wonderful support.
16 years ago 0 1148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Start by believing you can do it then commit to it. You can do this, so many of us have. What makes you different? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 118 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,360 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $495.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
16 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Seamus, We all have been where you are. I HATED that foolish child who started smoking in the first place, and I was mad at myself each and every time I slipped. So I know how you feel. But now, it's time to forgive yourself. If it helps, write yourself a letter, telling yourself that you forgive you. It's nearly impossible to quit when you have such feelings of animosity towards yourself. Love yourself! Quitting smoking is the most fabulous thing you can do for yourself! I know you know that, but right now, I get the feeling that you're angry with yourself and that anger is part of what is keeping you from making that giant step towards freedom. The rest, of course, is fear. So face your fears! But first, you have to figure out what you're afraid of. What is it that keeps you from making that decision to quit? Write them down and then figure out what you will do to overcome each one. I know you WANT to quit, and are sick of being a slave... I've definitely been right where you are before feeling powerless and helpless. But there IS something you can do to regain that power! You have the strength to take back your life! It's like they say, "Every journey begins with just one step. But watch that first step - it's a doozy!" That first step is the hardest, but after that, you start walking and eventually running, and you won't EVER want to slow down! When you're ready, we'll be here to help you through! We all have faith in you... where's your faith in yourself? Crave the Quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 754 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,850 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,114.02 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
16 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Seamus, Consider the place you are in right now as part of the quit process. I stayed there quite some time myself that is how I know it so well. It's like when you learn how to dive. You stand on the edge of the pool or diving board for what seems like an enternity until you finally get the nerve to just jump. I've refered to my quit as climbing a mountain. So you could consider it standing at the base of the mountain, looking up and thinking, I'll never make it up there. When I quit, I never thought it would last. I just took that first step and went from there. Eventually I made it to the top of the mountain. My feet were sore, my hands hurt, and my knees were skinned but I made it. Now I live at the top of the mountain and life IS good! My entire world has changed and I cannot even put in words the excitement, amazement, desires, and emotions that flow through me these days. It is the most incredible feeling I have ever experienced! Just take that first step and see what happens. If you fall down, you get back up. If it's hard, you reach out for help. That is what this site is all about. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 740 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,800 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,590.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 66 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
16 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I guess it's my turn to respond...lol........for once I am at a loss for words. Lady: Wow. You have hit the nail on the head. Everyday since I started again I have had that battle that you described going on in my head. It has been a constant, never ending battle. I want to quit but yet do nothing about it. I wrote a long email to a dear friend yesterday, and in the email I talked about how I have a love/hate relationship with cigarettes and how I feel like a hypocrite. I curse the day I started smoking 18 yrs ago and curse myself for starting again recently. I say I want to quit, and I do want to, I am tired of being controlled by cigarettes. I am tired of having the shackles of addiction binding every limb of my body - but yet, I sit here and do nothing about it. I want to quit - but yet I am not - that is why I say I feel like a hypocrite. I have so many feelings on how that post by lady was so uplifting, encouraging etc...but I don't know how to put it into words.
16 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love reading all of this, so many good quitters here with so much good advice, WOW Lady Look at you!! You have come far my friend :) Beren god to see you are still in here. Seamus, you CAN do this How can you loose ?? Tresa :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1798 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 35,960 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,293.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 253 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
  • Quit Meter

$14,565.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 688 Hours: 1

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
just wanted to say it is unbeilivable how inspiring this post is, lady:) the way you put words together, wow! l too am printing the post sam:)
16 years ago 0 1148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Seamus, there's no reason why you shouldn't be intimidated by all this, it's no minor challenge as you know. You had a previous quit that lasted a year so you know how to do this and you know you can keep it going for at least a year. That's a great place to start. After a year you're on new ground but we're not close to that yet so we'll set that one aside for now. You have 3 days to purge your body of the drug and toxins. After that it's primarily psychological (junky think volleyball). Facing the junkie think along with the detox is tough for a couple days then it's not so tough. You need to be on top of your game to get through it. Are you on top of your game? What's your coping strategy? (rhetorical quesions) And most importantly, you have to make a solid commitment to stop smoking. This will be fundamental to your success in your struggles with the junky. Right now the junky is in control and you need to get that back, it's yours after all. Commit to it, regain control, sweat it out and stay on top of your game. Easy, right? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 118 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,360 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $495.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
16 years ago 0 241 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Unhooked I totally agree with you.. LADY is one awesome woman ! She has been able to put into words all that I was searching for and she said it so perfect ! Seamus.. Please read, re read and then read AGAIN Lady's post. I'm printing her post and posting it on the wall next to my pc :) Soooooooo inspirational and filled with such wisdom. Thank you Lady .. from the bottom of my heart. xo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $36.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20

Reading this thread: