Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

I will quit

13 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rollingstone,

Congrats on taking the plunge.  I am only on day 6 but I can honestly say that each day gets a bit better.  This site has already helped me alot.  I love reading the older posts and realizing that my thoughts, symptoms, pains, etc are similar to other's.  Its seems to normalize the situation for me and realize that if so many people have taken this challenging journeny than so can I.

I have been having a bit of trouble with the reward system also,  Unfortunately, I want too much.  I have tried to make up rewards that don't cost anything or aren't physical objects.  This way I can reward myself everyday.  Following this, I have done little treats for myself each day....cooked an amazing meal on my third day when my tastes buds started to come back, took some pictures in the park, went for a run to enjoy my new lungs, enjoyed a cup of my favorite tea with a great book, put an hour aside to do the crossword, had a lavender bath, etc. 

I am, however, not sure what kind of rewards I would like to do for my milestones (1 week, 1 month, etc).  I agree with Rollingstone, any suggestions for a reward structure would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck rollingstone.  One day at a time.
~Alice
13 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just smoked my last, taking the plunge. I think by tonight I'll be an irate, babbling mess but for now I am confident that I can stick it to the nicodemon. Thanks for being here everyone. I want to make it a point to post daily for a good (undetermined) while. I can never get too much good advice.
On that note, I'm having some issues finding suitable rewards for myself. By nature I'm a self-indulgent person and, in general, anything I don't have I either don't want or can't afford. Is there anyone who can relate to this and maybe provide some suggestions for a reward structure?

rollingstone 
13 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back Rollingstone! Here's to tomorrow!

Here is how my quit is going: I'm still at it, and now the days count is going by faster than during the first week. Be frank with yourself - there will be some times when you feel like packing it in - but they do pass! Believe that and keep up the fight. Call your friends, post here for support, keep busy, do anything but give in.

The first week is hard. Keep the positive goals and rewards uppermost in your mind. During the first week my self-image was one of a struggling ex-smoker. I found it daunting to commit to never smoking ever again, so during the first week I committed to myself to just last the one week.

Now in the second week my self-image is evolving into a more rewarding non-smoker image. Big difference, at least in my mind. The second week is easier, but there are still temptations even though they are shorter lived and less frequent. It's like losing weight - once you see some progress, your motivation increases to keep on keeping on.

Maybe everyone fears failure. Failure feels terrible. The daily messages have been very supportive - if you do slide, take the opportunity to learn why, and then move on. A failure is not the end, it is a step along the road and an opportunity to strengthen your resolve.

You can do it buddy!  Won day at a time.
Hey guys,
Thank you for all the encouragement you've given. My quit date is tomorrow and I have to admit I am scared. Every cigarette I have had this entire week has made me nervous about quitting. Fear of failure is a huge part of my life and at times I get to thinking that since I've failed every attempt thus far, there is not much chance for success this time. I know it sounds ridiculous but hope is, by and large, a stranger to me.
On a lighter note, I've taken the steps, recruited a few support troops, have the resources and I'm mad as hell about my addiction to nicotine. How are your battles faring Valentine and Peteg?

Over and out

rollingstone 

13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Stone -- Good call on the quit date!  That's my wedding anniversary.  Since I've only got a few days on you, I'd be glad to be one of your quit buddies... A couple of times, I actually got as far as 5 pm before I had my first smoke of the day.  Was feeling good about that until I discovered the pack was empty an hour later.  Blech.
Good to have lots of prep time to get psyched for it.  You using anything to help?  Patch or drugs?

I hope you can inspire your dad too, but you know from experience that your first priority has to be yourself and your freedom.  Go for it dude.... again and again and again if need be.  Keep in touch.

peteg

Oh.  By the way, I have this problem with my phone.... ha ha ha ha.
13 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent choice!!!!  You are doing great and are putting everything into pespective.  Life without smoking is a relearning of how to live.  The addiction is very intricately woven into our daily activities and will take some extra effort to find diversions and methods to undo years of associations to the habit.

You have an entire website of buddies to drag you through the low spots and cheer with you from the mountaintops.  Enjoy the journey!

Keep the Quit,

Dave
  • Quit Meter

$50,498.24

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1125 Hours: 0

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 26

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rollingstone, keep coming back to this site, everyone on here understands you. We've all been where you are, do what it takes to not smoke, shout, scream and have a good cry if it helps....but don't put that cigarette in your mouth. You can do it! breathe deep and hold your head up high. Today I won't smoke.
13 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rollingstone,

I would be pleased to be your quit buddy. I've smoked on and off for 40 years and, at smoke free day 3, am still feeling pretty motivated, thanks to all of the great advice and fantastic support available on this site.

I am determined to let the non-smoker inside prevail, even though the going will be tough. Frankly so far I am missing the activitiy more than the nicotine - smoking is what I (used to) do into relax and kick back at home.

The strongest motivation to stay smoke free so far for me has been to revel in the benefits - no smell, less cough, not irritating my non-smoking friends, etc. With the weekend approaching I am going to need all the motivation and support I can get!

Valentine2 
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rollingstone,

It will pass.  I hope at this point the craving has already passed and it was another triumph to put under your belt!

Positive social support is so important to a successful quit.  Be sure to ask them for support if you need it and remind them of your milestones.  Non Smokers sometimes do not understand how big of a deal quitting is so be sure to tell them .  I am sure they will be flattered to be asked for support.  Aside from positive encouragement how do you want them to support you?

Keep on fighting!

Ashley, Health Educator
What I learned from my previous quit attempts is that I can get past the withdrawal period without undue difficulty. It's the everyday stuff that I struggle with. This time the majority of my friend base are people who think smoking is for idiots and I think they will have a lot of positive encouragement for me once they see some progress. Also, for the first time in years I'm finding I enjoy being sober. It was foolish to think that I could master such a powerful addiction while dutifully tending to others. 
On a sidenote, I've only been at work for an hour and I want a freakin' cigarette.

rollingstone 

Reading this thread: