Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Getting ready to quit

13 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi Roses,  I used the lozeges this quit.   We are here for you.  Remember to post and wait for 5 replies before you light up.

The craves are only temporary.. Know they will come, and before.. we fed them with nicotine. Now the only way through them to stop the addiction is to say NO.. no I am a non smoker now. I no longer smoke.
 Then get busy with an activity or something to take your mind away.  Understand that the Only way to stop this addiction, is to say No to the urge or crave. to embrace it, acknowledge it.. and move through it.

Today is day 16, I think I only had a couple.. fleeting thoughts of smoking.. because i was in a situation where I used to light up.

I think I have actually felt what it is really like to relax.    No I am not kidding you.  I was not checking my purse or pockets before we left the house, to make sure I had smokes & a lighter, I was not checking to make sure I didn't run out. 
 it really is easier to be a non smoker..

You can do this.. just take it a little at a time, Don't be afraid, you are givivng yourslef a Gift.. you are taking back control... noone says it is a piece of cake.. but you can do it..

Bonnie

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/7/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 17
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 289
Amount Saved: $57.80
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 5 Mins: 37 Seconds: 20

13 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Leslie, Brenda, Bonnie,
Thank you for your support and advice.  Your words give me strength and determination.  I am thinking about trying a NRT this time like you suggested.  My last long quit was cold turkey.  This didn't work for me last week so I have decided that on my quit date if the craving get to strong than I will use my nicotine lozenges before I cave into the urges. I have used them before and it made it easier. In fact I may just start my quit with them.  To help me get over the hump.  Every quit is different and I need to remember that so I will just keep trying till I find what works for me.  Thank you for your input it really helps. 

mickie,
Congratulation's on your decision to quit and set a quit date.  It would be nice if we can support each other on our quits.
Good luck I will be rooting for the both of us.

Rose

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 6/2/2010
Smoke-Free Days: -9
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -360
Amount Saved: $-108.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -99824

13 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good luck Rose : )
I have may 30 set for my quit day, maybe we can get through this togeather!
Mickie
13 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 hi Roses, 
This is not my first quit.  I think I leanred quite a bit... I also read the book by Allen Carr.."The Easy Way To Quit Smoking". 

I read and saw people here. I thought the first thing I have to do for me.. is an attitude change.  To think and look at myslef as a Non smoker. To understand that Nicotine is an addiction, the only way to stop it.. is to quit giving it nicotine.

The craves and urges are in my mind. so every time I say No.. especially in situations where I used smoking as my crutch,I learned to deal with issues, stress, happiness, etc without nicotine.

Everyone is different, the best is to be prepared.. have your plan ready, use the tools and resources and My program.  You have to work for it,  there is no magic wand.. the only way is one day at a time..

Bonnie

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/7/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 14
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 238
Amount Saved: $47.60
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 23 Mins: 15 Seconds: 26

13 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rose! I think Leslie is essentially right. Using NRT can help, but there are people who'll put on a patch or chew the gum... and light up, too. So using NRT will not keep you from smoking. I wish I could tell you that some sort of magic is involved, that you can just take a potion or something. However, the only way to quit smoking is not to smoke. Simple, but not easy. I got sick and tired of being sick and tired. You have to reach a point where you stop trying to quit and just quit. I just got really tired of smoking. I knew that the only reason I still smoked was because I was really addicted and was having a difficult time getting the nicotine out of my system. I felt that if I could get it out that I could quit for good. (Cross your fingers.) I first realized that I had a good quit going when my computer went down, and I had to fix it. Normally, that stress would have caused me to smoke. I ran out to the store to buy parts and didn't even think about buying cigarettes. I fixed the computer without smoking my way through the process. And then a some point, at about 2-3 months, I got that been there, done that feeling. I felt done with cigarettes. I used a lot of prayer this time.  I also remembered, One day at a time. Sometimes one second, minute, or hour. We can often do for a day what would repel us if we thought about doing it for a lifetime. So thinking in small blocks of time is important. Time will speed up as you get more time under your belt. One promise can be made to you: quitting will get easier with each crave you stave off, with time.
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 385
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,780
Amount Saved: $4,581.50
Life Gained:
Days: 43 Hrs: 9 Mins: 18 Seconds: 19

13 years ago 0 100 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rose,

I attempted many times to quit.  I tried all sorts of ways to quit, ie; hypnosis, mediations, patches, cold turkey... etc. On my final try I used the patches (again), but I don't think it was the use of the patches that made my quit successful but my mindset.  I was fed up and needed the quit, the patches helped but if my mind weren't in the right "frame" so to speak then it wouldn't have happened for me. 

You need to want this quit bad enough to not give in when the craving strikes.... it's tough but the longer you  stave off those cravings the further you get in your quit until you feel finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and feel like a real quitter!!

You can do this... if you really want to.... 

Leslie   

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 2/14/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 3018
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 120,720
Amount Saved: $10,563.00
Life Gained:
Days: 319 Hrs: 15 Mins: 34 Seconds: 23

• Quit Meter

$170,302.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5962 Hours: 4

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Update,
I am still getting ready to quit.  I have been exercising most every day this week in a attempt to change my life style.  I am hoping this will help me on my quit day.   I am trying to get in the habit of doing positive things as distractions that will help me.  I did a lot of walking on my last quit sometimes for hours on end.  I did get pretty tired.  I was wondering what everyone else did when they quit  and I am sure open to any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appreciated

Rose

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 6/2/2010
Smoke-Free Days: -11
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -440
Amount Saved: $-132.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -120242

13 years ago 0 242 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Rose and congratulations on your decision to quit smoking!
Memie

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/25/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 114
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,140
Amount Saved: $456.00
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 23 Mins: 12 Seconds: 21

13 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi rose: I have been quit 6 days and hanging in there. It hasn't been easy but every time I have a craving I review all of my reasons for quiting and think about how miserable I have been with wanting to quit and it carries me a little further. Best of luck. Hope
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/12/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 6
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 48
Amount Saved: $24.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 15 Mins: 19 Seconds: 12

13 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi rose , it's great to have you here with us. hang in here and you will quit with us.

i tried many many many times  , but i found this site right after i turned 50 and it helped me a lot. for over two years now i have not had even one puff , and you can do it to.
god bless ya,

mike/astrofan

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 3/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 797
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 23,910
Amount Saved: $7,173.00
Life Gained:
Days: 137 Hrs: 6 Mins: 2 Seconds: 6

Reading this thread: