Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Wanting to quit

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rick, welcome to the SSC, and congratulations on your decision to quit!  You've been given some awesome advice, but let me add my two cents.  This quit is all about YOU!  Nobody else!  You need to make sure you are 110% prepared so you will succeed!  Go through "my program" to you have a plan in place for whatever the nicodemon may throw your way.  Add your quit meter to your postings from "my profile" so you can track your progression.  Read, read, and read some more!  Do a search on "the patch" and see what prior users suggest.  Post as often as you need!  Set up a reward system to celebrate each passed cravings (small reward), a medium reward for each smoke free day, and a larger reward for each smoke free week.  Now you don't need to spend alot of money rewarding yourself.  My reward over the past week was taking my dog for a long walk every night, taking in all the smells of spring!  We're all rooting for your success!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 215
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,600
Amount Saved: $1,720.00
Life Gained:
Days: 32 Hrs: 4 Mins: 13 Seconds: 30

15 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Rick,

Congrats on your decision to quit! It will be one of the best choices you make for youself ever! Promise! Your cravings will eventually go away or ease up in the near future. Not going to tell you it is easy, but it definetly gets easIER! Please have faith in yourself and get through this tough time and you will come out a quitter.... er... winner..... You know what I mean! One of my favourite things to do to pass that idle time is to cook, it has helped me so much - Kneading dough has never given me so much satisfaction before. Cold water, sunflower seeds, excersize, cleaning the house, popsicles, trail mix, all have helped me soooo much. Make sure to reward youself as well as time goes by - Good Luck!   

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/14/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 37
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 555
Amount Saved: $208.13
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 17 Mins: 23 Seconds: 9

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey Rick, welcome to SSC- I am a patch quitter too, worked just great for me, stick with the full programme though. Three days is awesome, and it gets easier as the days mount up- keep up the good work, it can be done, we are all proof of that and we are happy you joined us!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 317
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,925
Amount Saved: $4,755.00
Life Gained:
Days: 37 Hrs: 10 Mins: 26 Seconds: 32

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rick,

Welcome to the SSC and congratulations on taking the first steps to kickin' the habit!
You've already gotten some really great advice from your fellow quitters! Preparation is key as this is an addiction. You need to figure out how your going to deal with cravings and what new habit you'll replace smoking with. (The program will help you do all this.) You'll also need to put into place a reward system. It should have three components: small one for after each craving, medium for the end of each smoke-free day and a bigger one for the end of each smoke-free week.

We're here for you 24/7 if you have questions or need some feedback. We'll help you through this every step of the way and we'll help you make it stick!

Good luck & check back soon!

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep up the great efforts, Gonna Do It!!!!!!

FYI, hold off on selling your kidney.....the market is down.

Keep the Quit.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 63
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,890
Amount Saved: $415.80
Life Gained:
Days: 10 Hrs: 8 Mins: 3 Seconds: 2

• Quit Meter

$50,443.97

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 17

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rick, 
  I'm also using the patch and on day 3. I can totally relate with the cravings yesterday, I would have sold a kidney for a smoke.lol I tried everything  to get my mind off of the craving. I swear I would go nuts. It gets better???? Like evreyone has said post here, or just read how other people cope. Stay strong.                                                                                                                                                                                       
15 years ago 0 597 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats on 3 days!  That is terrific.  Glad to have you join us on this journey.  Work the program here and set up your meter so you can chart your progress.  Welcome, and since you are a chef, we are expecting some delectable virtual dishes  yum-yum!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/22/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 152
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,080
Amount Saved: $1,216.00
Life Gained:
Days: 17 Hrs: 3 Mins: 4 Seconds: 52

• Quit Meter

$52,310.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 739 Hours: 21

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rick......welcome to SSC.

Many here used the patch to quit......you'll have lots of help and advice as you continue the trip.  After the drug is out of our systems and our amazing bodies cleanse and start to rejuvenate.....our minds make us want to smoke often......
Every one of us has been and is there with you.  All in varying degrees.  It gets easier as time goes on.....but we always have to be on guard against the addict in us.  He will jump up and bite you when you least expect it.  We have to stay stronger than the addict....period.  N.O.P.E ( Not One Puff Ever) is what we live by.  

You can do this!  You can be stronger than the addict.  The benefits are AWESOME!  Read and Post....Yell and Rant......we all did......you'll get all the help you need.  

Go to My Program and read and prepare....Reward yourself for every crave you beat .......Load your Quit-Meter from under tools and resources so you can see how great you are doing.  It helps.

We're here for you.....Use us........Stay strong and Keep the Quit!!.

Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 55
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,650
Amount Saved: $231.00
Life Gained:
Days: 11 Hrs: 13 Mins: 13 Seconds: 55

15 years ago 0 35 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry about double reply but my computer is playing up this morning!! Please don't let this be a sign of how may day is going to be!!

All the best again!!! Debby

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/16/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 7
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 140
Amount Saved: �34.23
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 16 Mins: 22 Seconds: 27

15 years ago 0 35 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Rick

I am also using the patch and I have found that it really does get better. I'm on day 7 and the cravings are still here but their getting weaker every day.

I have found that reading the posts and posting myself on here is really helpful and even if I'm not looking for advice or help at a particular time I have noticed that things seem to stay in my head that when needed are already there.

Keep strong it does get better and all the best with you quit. Debby

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/16/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 7
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 140
Amount Saved: �34.23
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 16 Mins: 22 Seconds: 13

Reading this thread: