Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,649 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS, ASHAINE, EFAJARDO, MMAGTARAYO

please help me make it work this time

17 years ago 0 1006 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Smitty and Mitch - yup, it's a bit tough for the first couple of days, then it will become more managable. Get ready for the fight and you will reap the rewards. Good luck, Deli [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 272 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,083 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �816 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Smitty I also have 2 kids with eczema and asthma. I'll make you a deal, I quit today too. Let's do it together. If it makes you feel any better, I'm struggling too. Goodluck, we can do it. Mitch [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Smitty, Breathe, Breathe. Come back to the site and post. I'm right here waiting to hear from you. I know this can be rough but you CAN do this. If you need an NRT, then go for it. Whatever it takes, just don't smoke. Don't feel bad about venting. That's what you need to do. That's what we're here for. We will help you all that we can. Drink lots and lots of water...It helps with cravings and will flush the system; have hard candy, gum, sunflower seeds, toothpicks, etc. to help with that "Hand to mouth" thing; Avoid things that you associate with smoking...If you can't avoid those things, then change them up or make them different so the urge to smoke isn't so strong; Read the workbook over to the left...It helps so, so much; Read and post a lot here on the site. You really CAN do this and we're here to help you each step of the way. Stay Strong, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 70 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,189 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $251.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Smitty: Here is something out of my journal that I wrote around 27 days into my own quit...Maybe you will find something in it to help you along... nonic I Set My Mind Against The Tide I set my mind against the tide, as a sailor sets a sail straight into a westward wind, that soon became a gale. The harbor lights were far behind, when the sky bled blue to gray. The chop was fine and coming fast and my boat began to sway. Broadside and true she took each wave and fell to meet the next. The troughs were deep the angles steep my thoughts were dark and vexed. And in that hour the taunting came, from deep within the storm. Derision scorn and vile blame, took endless ghostly form. Loathing lingered on the deck as doubt engulfed the mast. And from the east, a tiny speck flew toward me from the past. Larger loomed this bird of prey in silence loud and clear. With stealth and guile it ruled the day for this was cold dark fear. Fear stretched out a deadly claw and danced with doubt and scorn around the sail I�d bravely set they mocked the oath I�d sworn. The bitter wind grew stronger still as hopelessness appeared and played a mournful melody for doubt and scorn and fear. �Come join the dance� the storm intoned I know you know the steps. �I�ll bring you peace� the wind exclaimed �with one more cigarette.� But just between the flash and fade the lightning wind and storm were all inventions I had made while I was busy being born. For I have lost a lover who would kill me where I stand but found a better friend in me cause I know who I am. I set my mind against the tide as a sailor sets a sail� I set my mind against the tide As a sailor sets a sail�.. I set my mind against the tide as a sailor sets a sail�.
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
smitty I know you are scared. Thats ok...Change is always frightening because by its very nature it is unknown and we always fear that which is unfamiliar. You will have success though, even though you are at this moment in time a bit unsettled. That success will come to you only when you have truly chosen this road of your own free will. It can not be chosen for or by another living being except you. Begin to clear your mind of the notion of loss in this venture. In truth you are losing nothing at all. You are gaining a freedom from a terrible addiction. The nature of our addiction does not allow you to see this yet, but if you have faith and a strong conviction you can over come this unseeing now and will become the master of nicotine just as it is not your master. The key to all of this is for you to make the commitment to yourself. This vow can be for no one else but you and in awhile the thing you wish to gain will be yours... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 125 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,018 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $875 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Smitty, Welcome to the SSC and congratulations on quitting! What are you using to help you through the cravings? You may benefit from reading through our forums and working through our online quit program. Both are filled with lots of ideas on how to get through cravings and other triggers. There is also a section in our quit program that will help explain the various withdrawal symptoms and NRT's that may be available to you. Keep us posted. Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Smitty - you've got to make the commitment to yourself on this! We can support you and be here to listen to what you have to say, how you're feeling but only you have the toolbox of defense against nicotine. Have you made your list of reasons why you quit? Post it somewhere you look a lot. Keep moving with brisk walking or some other type of exercise. Eat fruit and veggies and learn how to work deep breathing exercises to relieve stress when you feel the urge to smoke. Oh and did I mention to drink a ton of water???? You have to want this quit more than anything ! You can do it and this site is a great place to come and share, since we all have been in your shoes ~ Stay strong ! CobenFan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 400 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,015 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1400 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I'm a newbie, have gone a whole 12 hours now without a smoke, seriously thinking NRT, this is bad, really bad, but I can do it, I just am feeling right now that It would be so easy not to, I just really, really want to, I don't want to be bothered with the whole smoking thing, and my kids are small and will probably have asthma, or exema or something else, and i don't want to do that to them, or me, yuck rambling again sorry

Reading this thread: