Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

New Non-Smoker

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mlk, Welcome to the SSC and congratulations on day 4! Much of the thoughts you described are quite common. We have a saying around here: a puff away from a pack a day. We also have a mantra: NOPE (Not one puff ever). Having that one puff is a slippery slope, best to stay away. You're right, a lot of your daily routine surrounded smoking. It's now time to start switching up your old routine and substitute smoking for better habits. Ex: You use to smoke with your cup of coffee in the morning. Now that you've quit, you'll drink your cup of coffee and read the paper? Please be patient with yourself in the days to come as you begin to get use to your new non-smoking life and all the changes in routine. Every day gives you a chance to practice these new routines and as you continue to practice them, it gets easier as they become second nature. Also be sure to reward yourself often for all your hard work and take the time to work through our online quit program. It's a great tool that can help you put together a plan to tackle cravings and other triggers. If you have any questions, just ask. We are always here to help. Danielle _______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I have been smoke free for 3 days, trying to get through my 4th. I smoked 1 1/2 packs a day for more than 32 years and have never tried to quit. I am using Chantix which has definitely helped. I continued smoking through the first 8 days and found they tasted terrible and they weren't making me feel the way they used to. Before I quit I was down to less than 10 cigs a day. I crave cigarettes throughout my entire day. The cravings are not bad enough to make me go buy them, but I do want a cigarette. I continuously remind myself that I am a non-smoker, that I feel better and I am going to make it. Then a little voice says "maybe only a little puff won't hurt" and I try a couple of deep breaths and it goes away. It seems as if my entire day (before quitting) was all about smoking. Everything I did required a smoke and I am reminded of that everytime I carry on with my everyday tasks. I have a terrific support group of family and friends, but I am looking forward to the added benefit of being here. Everything I have read says the odds of me making it are much greater with support from others who are experiencing the same thing. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 116 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $18 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58

Reading this thread: