Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,534 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

My introduction

17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello folks, I am a friend of Ter724, we go way back over 20 yrs from the high school party days. I was shocked to see her a few months ago and learned that she had quit smoking. We we have discussed it a lot since then and I have also encouraged her in her weight loss challenges. She suggested I get on the SSC forum. I have not quit smoking because I have been overweight most of my life and I recently decided at 40 yrs old, if I was going to be thin and active ever in my life, I better get serious and get phyically healthy so over the past 4 months I have lost 50 lbs. I have about 40 more lbs to go and then my next challenge is to stop smoking. I have some surgery scheduled for this fall and the doctor will not perform it of I don't quit smoking before hand. My biggest fear is that if I quit smoking now I will eat a lot and gain a lot of the weight back that I have worked so hard to lose. I quit smoking for brief periods during my 3 pregnancies and I ate everything in the house. I gained over 80 lbs during my pregnancies and still never put cigarettes down completely. I got myself down from over a pk a day to a 1/2 a pk per day throughout each pregnancy. There was no affect on my babies birthweights as all 3 babies weighed between 9-10 lbs. I do have a presciption for Chantix but again I'm just not ready to quit smoking and I'm not crazy about the thought of it. I really enjoy smoking! Neverless I am here on this forum and I'm not sure why except maybe that I'm curious and maybe I'm seeking to see if the support will really be there when I do finally decide to quit. It looks like you have a great support group here and that is a good thing. I'm finding that just by writing about quitting smoking is making me want a cigarette REALLY bad so I'm off to the back porch and will check back in shortly. I look forward to talking with each of you in the days and months and maybe years ahead! -El
17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thnaks for all of the encouragement! I'm courious if I should start the Chantix even if I'm not quite ready to quit or should I wait and start taking it when I know I really want to quit, for sure. Maybe someone can give me some advise on that....????? -El
17 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey El, I think the fact that you are even here checking this site out is a big thing! I understand how you feel about gaining weight because you quit smoking. I was an emotional smoker and I am an emotional eater. Gaining weight was a huge factor in me not quitting before now. I have been up and down 40 pounds at least 4 different times in my life...but I also realised that the smoking was just covering up why I over-ate and smoked to not over-eat...and I was also smoking for the same reasons I was over eating....I hope that makes sense to you. However this time, I told myself that I would not over eat to compensate for not smoking...and so far, I have not...in fact I am eating healthier! You said that you enjoy smoking...if you don't mind, what is it about smoking that you like? I only ask because I used to say the same thing...but then I realised I was only saying it because I was addicted. Also, the fact that you said just thinking about the cigarette makes you want to smoke sounds more like addiction than enjoyment. You definitely have to be mentally prepared to quit...and you have to want to quit for it to work. HOwever, as I said before, you even coming here to look around and read is a major first step...and who knows, maybe you will find the strength to quit sooner than you thought! Regardless, this place is wonderful, really. I'm telling you, coming here made my quit a billion times easier and has really kept me on track. You have the power and strength within you, and hopefully you will be traveling this road with everyone here soon!!! JAZ [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 106 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey El, Welcome to the friendliest group on the 'net. I have received more information and suggestions on this site than I can even count. I found this site about 2 weeks before my quit date, and knew I could quit with help from the people here. I quick got my Rx for Chantix, and it was hard to wait for my quit date to get here. I was excited to quit! Imagine that! I looked at all the people with 20 days, 30 days, 40 days,and wondered if I could ever get there, since at the time I registered I had something like a -5 days. Look at me now. I am almost to that 30 day stage. Have I gained weight? yeah, a little. But like my sweetheart said, which is worse? some extra pounds or lung cancer? Quit smoking first, and then work on the weight (I am a real couch potato). Think about your decision to wait. I understand your dilemma, but if you continue your exercise program, maybe weight gain won't be a problem for you. Good luck, keep reading, and with a friend like Ter you will succeed! Just look at her AWESOME stats. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 763 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $121.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
17 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also used the Chantix and my quit was *definitely* wishy washy. It was about as non-a-planned-quit as you can get: I was in to see my doctor about something else and getting ready to leave he said "are you still smoking?" I said "yes", he said "want to try the newest thing?", we talked about it briefly, I said "sure" and left with a prescription that I dropped off right then and picked up later that evening. Took my first chantix the next morning, quit on day eight, and am now starting my 6th week of smoke free!!! I mean, I had zero intention of quiting other than every smoker's "oh, I'm going to quit someday...". It wasn't planned and it certainly wasn't planned for the very next day. I gained weight in the very beginning but -- with no real change in my exercise or eating or anything -- my weight today is exactly where it was when I started the Chantix. You are just countering, I think, the slight metabolism drop because I had *zero* urge to "substitute". No urge to eat instead of smoke or anything. So, I'd advise that you just get going and not wait around until you are "really ready Ready" because there will *always* be a reason to put that off and as someone who wasn't even REMOTELY "really ready Ready" -- or ever just regular ready! -- I can't say enough about Chantix. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 571 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $175 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
  • Quit Meter

$221,403.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6008 Hours: 10

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi El...Welcome to SSC! You are lucky to have Ter724 as your friend and she has pointed you to the very best possible place to help you quit smoking. We are all addicts to nicotine here and we all have made the same or similar excuses not to quit. Start reading el, and you will soon see that you are not alone in the fear and that it is very possible to overcome your fear and beat this addicton. The more you learn, the less fear you will have and before you know it, you will understand that you can quit and still loose weight...you just have to want to do it. We all said we enjoyed smoking, but in reality none of us does...that's just the junkie talking. :8o: Use the tools on the left side of this page to help you get started. READ, read and read some more. We all start where you are right now, so take the advice that works for you from this site and know we are all here for you to lean on. :) It is up to you to decide when you want to quit, but if you don't take the medication now, you may have to delay if you do decide you want to quit. You can discontinue the medication if you decide you want to wait, so I see no reason to put it off...do you? Best of luck and hope to see you stick around El. Pat PS There are some good books you may find very beneficial to read on quitting smoking and on losing weight. Both are by A***n Carr and I have read the one on quitting smoking and highly recommend it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,677 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $574 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
  • Quit Meter

$121,113.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 964 Hours: 17

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi El, Welcome to the SSC. I too used Chantix, best thing I ever did for myself. I still smoked while getting my quit plan together and like CallMeMomMom...I almost quit before my actual quit date. the Chantix made me forget that I wanted to smoke..."yeagh"! So cutting down the last week came automatically...it wasn't planned. Sometimes the most successful Quits...are the ones that start out..."Wishy-Washy" (maybe I will...maybe I won't...who knows I'll just give it a shot) Support, education, and preparedness are the keys. You will get all of that here..."FREE"! Oh yes...and OPINIONS...that you can take or leave if you choose. Weight Gain is a big issue when we quit. Personally, I'm not worried about the weight gain. I have gained about 8 pounds so far. I will start walking and eat healthy to combat weight problems. I've done it before. The weight comes off slower...but it doesn't return. When your out there walking with lungs that can breathe comfortably...it's a piece of cake. ...and just one more thing...If you decide to Quit...its your decision no one elses. Its called Freedom! auntdeb ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 69 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,481 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $327.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Girl! Boy was I surprised to read this post! I am so glad you are checking out SSC. I would never have been able to do this without all the great people here. You know if I can be a non-smoker, so can you. Weekends are sometimes slow around here. Your replys will start coming in, sometimes they are painfully honest. I hope you will hang around for a long time! Check out that quit meter! Ter724 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 163 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,458 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $580.28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, have you decided whether to start the Chantix? You should. My quit was "wishy washy", I had been thinking about quitting, but never really planned it. Keep us posted Terri [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 165 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,484 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $587.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi El I'm a friend of Ter's. I'm at work and I'm having an SCC break instead of a smoke break. I can remember the day when I could hardly wait to get home from work so that I could smoke...and smoke...and smoke. If I was honest, I would have to admit that I actually believed that I enjoyed smoking. (By the time I had that cigarette, I was in such a state of withdrawal that it felt like a cold glass of water after walking through the desert) You may want to read Alan Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit" because it helps us understand why we start to attribute all these magical qualities to smoking. Weight gain has been an issue for some of us during our quits (especially at the beginning). I gained 10 lbs in the first 3 months...but with regular exercise and some changes in diet, I have lost that 10 lbs plus 5 lbs extra. This time I can actually focus on getting fit because I don't run out of breath after 5 mins on the treadmill. When you are ready to quit there will be lots of support here for you. Do some reading....Keep in touch...We're ready when you are! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 182 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,653 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $910 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28

Reading this thread: