Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,509 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Closet Smoker finally quitting

17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi freemom! Well, my boss is an ex-smoker and a fanatic (not just about smoking... about everything) and he basically forced me to quit a few months ago. He was nice enough to pay for my first round of patches which I never finished... I was off cigs 3 weeks and resented it. I resent him... Anyway, I became a closet smoker for a brief period of time. I kept it hidden from him until yesterday when I told him I'd quit 10 days ago. But I did keep it from my kids and my boyfriend for a week or so after I went back... It actually helped me smoke less... But I felt like I was lying and that isn't good for me (hence the reason I told my boss yesterday - which was stupid) Anyway, I smoked less for a while but gradually added one or two here and there. Found more reasons to leave the office for a few. I know that part of my reason for acting so silly once I went back is he always bragged about how he could smell cig smoke a mile away. He never suspected... Guess I was too good at hiding it. :( Anyway, I finally realized it wasn't hurting him at all... but it was hurting my family... particularly my boyfriend. He hated it when I'd get up while we were watching tv together or doing something else together just so I could go smoke. He said it hurt him because it felt like I was putting the cigs before him... and, unfortunately, he was right. :( (besides the fact he wants us to live very long lives together) That was a big motivator for me in quitting and remembering him telling me that helps me through any weak spots now. Yes, our lives do mean a lot to others even when we don't think enough of ourselves to quit. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 176 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
  • Quit Meter

$463,182.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5961 Hours: 15

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Freemom! Congratulations. I�m a newcomer and am going to quit the day after tomorrow. My last attempt to quit took a few months. With a puff here and there I ended up being a closet smoker. Being a closet smoker, I think, would work if only you don�t consider yourself an occasional, if not a none, smoker. Which is, I�m afraid, the case of the majority of closet smokers! So dear Freemom go ahead. You�re not only going to be a smoke-free, but also a cheat-free one! Good luck, mitri
  • Quit Meter

$295,165.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5955 Hours: 0

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OMG gonnadoit, too funny... I'm so glad to be single right now! I remember last time i quit having to raise my standards and not consider dating any smokers. Looks like I'll be on that kick again, which is good, standards are good. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$227,050.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4953 Hours: 20

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 23

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey mom! I'm on day 2 and it sounds as though our addictions are similar. I was pretty much a closet smoker until my addiction became too strong. Then I would fool myself into thinking my son doesn't know when I smoke in the car cause he was playin video games or he doesn't know cause I go outside and talk on the phone while smoking. Also, if I dated a non-smoker, I would pretend to be one. Did you ever see that sex and the city where Carrie tried to quit for Aiden? Yeah, that was me, sneaking somewhere to light up real quick! Anyway, my son's 8 and too smart so he was happy when I told him I quit. So your addiction, as mine has something to do with rebellion (it feels good to be bad) and keeping secrets. I try to buck the "mom" stereotype even though I love being a mom I don't like being "normal". Smoking is TACKY AND FOR TEENAGERS. Not for strong women like us. If your kids don't already know, they'll find out and then if they become smokers, it is ALL YOUR FAULT! And how terrible would it be to have one of your kids go before you cause you taught them that it's ok to smoke.
  • Quit Meter

$227,050.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4953 Hours: 20

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 23

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yea it sure is i hated comming home from work and sneaking upstairs to the bathroom to brush my teeth and use the mouthwash lol and i have so many packs of mints and gum lying round my car lol i am glad its all out in the open now hopefuly i will never smoke again i hate the things it makes you do i felt like i was having an affair lol all the sneaking around anyway keep in touch and keep up the good work on your quit you are doing great ;) freddie xx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 54 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �12.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
  • Quit Meter

$29,516.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 7069 Hours: 6

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey freemom how are you doin ? well i smoked for a good few years then stopped for bout 10 months bout about 5 months ago i stupidly started smoking again but i would only smoke in work so it was only workmates who knew i smoked not my wife or the rest of my family it started i only smoked bout 3-4 a day of other peoples who offerd then it got to the point i found myself buying them again so then i started smoking 10 a day my days of work were hell lol i had to find an excuse to pop out for 5 mins to the shops or hoped the wife would go out for 5 mins so i could have a sneaky smoke in the back garden so last week i felt guilty and told her what i was doing she wasent happy at all as she hates smoking but she thinks its just a case of saying am not gonna smoke and then my magic your a non smoker lol so am on day 6 cold turkey and am of work for a week so i feel good i have only had a few withdrawls so far so good anyway sorry to ramble on i just got lost in typing lol keep in touch and well done... freddie xx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 54 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �12.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
  • Quit Meter

$29,516.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 7069 Hours: 6

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's so nice to see that I'm not so alone. I too wonder how other people didn't smell it - I can usually tell when someone else has had one and covered it. Maybe it takes one to know one! Funny about the mouthwash and drinking - I wonder if anybody ever thought that about me? LOL particularly because I don't drink much! Thank you for all the support and I hope we ALL continue to be successful in beating this addiction. I'm sure I'll be posting lots more in the days & weeks to come. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 57 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16.32 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
  • Quit Meter

$119,541.83

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6401 Hours: 11

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Glasgow-guy : I can totally relate to the dash to grab a cig and go out back as soon as dh went on an errand. And making up excuses to do errands alone to get a few in. And then trying to cover up the smell, etc... It certainly is a relief to not have to do all that anymore, isn't it?
  • Quit Meter

$119,541.83

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi. I've been smoking on & off since college (I'm 40 now) but lately its been getting more obsessive and went from 5-8 cigs per day to about 12 per day, give or take. I was a total closet smoker - nobody knew - not kids, not family, not even my friends. Only the guys at the convenience store, my hubby (knew more than I thought he did) and therapist knew! So I smoked when the opportunity was there, not just when I was actually craving one. I have 2 elementary age daughters who I want to be around for and my husband has reached his limit on dealing with my smoking. He never smoked and doesn't really understand that its not as simple as saying, "ok I'm quitting today" and then just stopping for good. Been trying to quit on and off since mid-December. I'd never quite make it past 12-24 hours before I'd sabautage (sp?) myself by listening to the voices saying "you're going to have one anyway, might as well do it now, before you get too far". Did lots of reading, the Carr book and on-line sites and writing, too. Finally tried Chantix - its pretty amazing! Really cuts your desire to smoke and, for me at least, made the last cigs before I stopped taste like smoking plastic ones. First few days were almost too easy. Yesterday had a slip, but spent time working out probable triggers (not enough sleep, lack of positive feedback from dh, frustration from meeting night before, etc) and got right back on track. Today I feel strong again. But I know there are going to be other rough times ahead and want to be prepared. It's challenging when you always smoke alone & in private. You can try to avoid friends who smoke, but how can to totally avoid being alone?! LOL. Plus not much of a support system since nobody knows and don't really want to tell now that I'm actually quitting! Any advice and support from those who've been there before - esp former closet smokers would be greatly appreciated! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 53 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16.32 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

$119,541.83

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I too was a closet smoker for almost 18 years before I confessed to my husband. I would have never confessed but one day I was out driving around smoking and burned hole in my car seat, so I kinda had to confess at that point, there was no way to hide it anymore. That was about 5 years ago. I have no ideal why he never found out, but he was a smoker too. I loved the thrill of not getting caught, that I knew I would get in trouble for smoking (goes back to being a kid kinda thing). Husband didn't real care that I was smoking. He does not know how long I did smoke before I told. He was kinda of happy that he had a smoking buddy. I would never smoke around my side of the family even after I fessed up. Smoking consumsed so much of life. How would I slip away to have a smoke and then try and cover up the smell. I would become a real pain in the ass when I could not sneak out for a smoke. Finding places to hide my cigs. Always wondering what if my husband gets off work early and comes in sees me smoking. Had a couple close calls on that. I think sneaking around and smoking is about the worse thing I could have ever done. I wanted to quit but how would I explain the meds or the stop smoking patches. So maybe it was a good thing I did fess up so I was able to take measures to stop smoking. We are both on the nicoderm patches and doing pretty good. Otis
  • Quit Meter

$27,246.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6026 Hours: 0

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: