Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

After 17 years of not smoking

17 years ago 0 983 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the SSC. I would spend some time reading as much as you can in the pages here. There is lot's of great information and support to help you quit smoking. We all smoked to cope with stress, so you will need to focus on different ways of deal with your stressful situation without smoking. We all know to well the pain of stress on us and our ability to cope. Smoking only delay's us from having to deal with stress....it certainly doesn't make it go away. Keep us posted and let us know how your doing, and please ask for help when you need it!!! Kaiti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 58 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,285 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $319 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome rvrgrl, go slow. you're in the right place. we are all very supportive of each other here. I had quit for 11 years when I strapped that monkey back on my back three years ago. I'm like a new quitter here. I'm trying to be honest with myself and others. No matter why I started back. The addiction took hold and now I want a cig. as badly as someone who never had the 11 year quit. You know, part of this quitting smoking thing has to do with toughing it out and changing one's mind set. are you ready for that? because if you are, we are ready to pull you through. Being unfocused and anxious will come with the quitting too. Might I suggest that you stick around and power up. I came on this site for two weeks before I quit. There is no magic number to two weeks. The workbook here is nice and you will need coping tricks and back up and back up for your back up. Go slow, Go steady, Go for good. What do you say? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 78 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $35 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi rvrgrl ... So sorry to hear about your marriage falling apart as it did. I can feel the pain in your post -- But hon, cigarettes are not your friend, or your companion. You've quit before and you can quit again and WE will be your friends and companions here while you quit. Have you set a quit date? Have you read the information to the left <<<< and set up your tools to have a successful quit? Post and let us know what stage you are at sweetie and we'll always respond to you. Also, you are NOT weak.. You are human and you can beat the nicodemon! ((((((((((hugs))))))))) of support.. we care! Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 65 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,307 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $585 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm with Bubba (well, not really "with" Bubba -- we're just casual acqaintances) on this one -- the bimbo and dirty old man won't last, and if they do, they'll always be wondering who's gonna get dumped next. Here's my deal when it comes time to quit: I'm a big fan of every aid in the book, including drugs. I would have a long talk with your physician, set up a program, and go for it! The sooner he hears how fabulous you look and smell, and how glorious you feel, the sweeter the revenge will be. Keep in touch -- just don't blow any smoke on your screen -- it travels through the wires, you know. Welcome, even under such sucky circumstances! peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,331 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $363 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bumping this..RV,..How are you doing? Getting prepared ? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 96 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,908 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $792 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
17 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My first reaction was eeeeeew!! "58 year old man, affair with 23 year old girl" Maybe it's because my husband and I are both 55. I remember being 23, tho, and I wouldn't have touched a 58 year old man with a barge-pole! I know it sounds trite, but you are so much better than the two of them. Take your time to gather all the tools you can for your quit. Get to the Doctor..there's lots of nicotine replacement stuff, or Chantix if you're in the states, if you need it. Borrow or buy Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking". It's better to start reading it while you're still smoking. I went cold turkey, but every quit is different. Read as much as you can here..old posts, new posts, its all good. Love yourself. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 94 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,834 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $775.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi rvrgirl - So sorry that you have been through such a difficult time. I hope that you will find the support and kindness here to help you start a whole new life without that cad or a nasty addiction. The good news is that you have decided to quit - Good for you! This addiction can become so consuming...Before I quit I hated myself and what I was doing to myself and how much cigarettes controlled my life. Now...I can finally start to get excited about my life. The first 3 months were all about quitting but now I am starting to focus on fitness and health. The best gift that you can give yourself is a healthy, happy life. A great first step is to throw away those smokes and there is tons of people here to help you do it! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 115 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,316 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $575 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
17 years ago 0 1010 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OH MY RvrGrl!! First of all, I want to express how sorry I am you were dealt w/ this horrible card!! Next, I hope you beat the living hell out of him and kicked his butt to the curb!! I hope you have gotten so angry over this that you have managed to rise above his filth, treachery, and deceit. Furthermore, I hope you managed to give that 2 bit tramp a piece of your mind. I am thinking you should see the movie, Diary of a Mad Black Woman....DARN GOOD MOVIE!! Medea ROCKS! HA! Empower yourself at this very moment. Use that strength to do the below. Now, for the smoking part. It is very understandable why you did it. Do not beat yourself up over it. Stuff happens, right? You have realized it isnt any good for you. Pick a date. A realistic date. Let's say Feb 1st. You have 3 weeks to begin to prepare. Begin by researching which method you prefer. The Patch? The Gum? Inhaler? Cold Turkey? Will you be using an anti depressant to help you along? Right down your choice of execution to kill the habit and addiction. Make a plan to visit your doc and share with him / her what you plan to do. He / She can help you along too. Next, read all that you can about the addiction and how it effects you. You must use the empowerment from the 1st paragraph to help you with what hurdles and loops you may have to jump through. Remember, not everyone will have the same symptoms. BUT we all have the guts to stand up and fight for what we believe in!! And I believe we all have it in our hearts to quit! We must train our minds to follow our hearts to beat this addiction!! Drop the alcohol if you havent already done so. It doesnt do you any good besides, when we open up the 1st bottle, we see a dream...by the time we get to the bottom, it is a nightmare. Been there and done that myself! Prepare a box filled with all sorts of things to get your mind off of smoking. Fill it with candies, peppermints, gum, books, toothpicks, straws, lollipops,etc. Anything that will keep you from picking up a smoke. Start rearranging your schedule so those times you smoke will have to be filled with somethign else. Let's say at 10am, after that last cup of coffee you smoke. Do not drink the whole thing, pick up a straw, and play with it--and dump the rest of your coffee. Just start tweakin
  • Quit Meter

$36,027.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 419 Hours: 18

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rvrgrl, February 1st sounds good to me! That gives you plenty of time to read up on this quit business by going through our forums and workbook. It also gives you some time to start trying out new strategies to help you with cravings. Take some time to look at why you are smoking? When? Where? Next make a list of coping tools you think may help you in managing cravings. Ex: gum, ice water, walking, deep breathing, rewards, distractions... The last step is to delay your next cigarette using these coping strategies. This gives you a chance to introduce this new habit slowly into your daily life. It also gives you a chance to figure out what works for you and what doesn't. Stay close. Danielle _________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 607 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
rvrgirl, glad you came here. We all want and look forward to supporting you and we sure have big shoulders to weather any emotions!! Let us help you get back to being a non smoker. 17 years is a long time to just throw it away. I am sorry about your marriage. I have a pretty warped one thats for sure (if you read my posts you will soon see). My husband smokes and definitely is NOT supportive of me. My entire family smokes and makes me feel like an outcast since I quit. Quite awkward attending family functions. My dad started back up after 20 years. Let us help you get back to the carefree non smoker you were!! You can do this girl. Just reach out and post often!! It helps to get frustrations out. BIG hugs Kim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 211 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,285 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $854.55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45

Reading this thread: