Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

After 17 years of not smoking

17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, Coming home to all these encouraging and kind posts is a reall boon to my desire to quit. Thank every one of you so much, and I have set a quit day of Feb 1. that seems far away I know, but I am so unfocused and fragmented and resistant to many things that I picked that date. If I keep reading I will maybe just quit and be done with this major self destructive habit much sooner. I had no idea there would be so many responses. You all will make this much easier. Again, many many thanks. Karen
17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I started again the night I found out my 58 year old husband is having an affair with a 23 year old girl he was directing and acting with. He left that night and there was a partial pack of cigs in the freezer that a friend had left on the grass & I had decided to keep for her & when I went to get the 1/4 inch of vodka there I saw the cigs and smoked one. That was in May & I have been smoking ever since. I would love some support, as I am alone now in the house and very anxious, unfocused and shattered still. Last eve the therapist suggested a group & this morning here you are! The healing is slow, and cigs have become a companion and I feel bad to be so weak and addicted already. This is a first consious act since May. Thanks
17 years ago 0 449 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Next time you see him, put the cigarette out in his ear. Ouch. Seriously, I'm sorry. That must hurt big time. I can't imagine. I do hope you stay here. The support is just incredible. You are better than that cigarette, just keep telling yourself that. You're better than that um, tramp, too. You're also better than your husband. I read your introduction earlier and cried. Please hang around. Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 53 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $7.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
17 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rv, sorry to hear about what someone else did... now what are you going to do? Be the winner... ya know I always say kill em with kindness and show em who is the better of the two.. get those smokes out of your life and show him who is the "sexy" one, she might be 23 but guess what, if you quit you will be 100 and still looking like a hot momma! Give him the rope, let him hang himself... you get that rope off your neck and skip rope around him! you are better than him, now show him that! RAWRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! hehe Peace Dawn [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 85 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $18 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi rvrgrl, You've come to the right place! There are so many kind and wonderful, supportive members at this site to help you along. Read all the information to the left, fill out the workbook It will empower you with information, even more reasons to quit, and some great ideas on coping, and give you a Plan as you begin to quit again. Read the posts here... they helped me tremendously. It sounds like you've been through a lot the past few months. You are to be commended for deciding to quit smoking again. 17 years without smoking is awesome! You'll do it again! Post your questions, and let us all know how we can help. We are here for you!
17 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Quit if nothing else to show him that you DO have control of your life and you will out live him. You must keep your body healthy and beautiful. You are such a great person and can do whatever you put your mind to. There is more support on this site then you would ever need. I am still somewhat new in my quit but without this site and the people on here I know I wouldn't have made it this far. Post often and read more. Good luck Keep on keepin' the quit. Best wishes [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 442 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $68 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:)Say There rvrgrl, Why is it that something awful like this would make us want to do something so destructive (after all..we are the victums in the first place...good things should happen to mend, not smoking that will kill). An incidence (similar to yours)happened to me as well that started me back smoking after being smoke free for 10 years. Please start looking in the mirror at yourself differently and defiantly..."I was a good wife, I deserve much better than this..but since he doesn't want me anymore...he's the loser...not me!! :eg: :mad: I will not smoke to spite my feelings of self destruction. I will start living again..one day at a time, I will breath in fresh air and plan to make my day enjoyable doing the things that make me happy. ;) I'm using a journal to deal with my anger. I find that I can say anything I want and it feels good to release it. I'm also finding that when angry memories surface, my craving for nicotine appears too. The craving passes within moments...so don't give in...N.O.P.E. (not one puff ever). Glad you joined us...you will conquer this. Thank God you're quitting before more years of addiction pile on. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 163 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $14.61 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tle old saying "the best revenge is living well" certainly applies here. Why punish yourself? Put the smokes down and get on with your life. Sorry, I'm no Dr. Phil. -- 2tone [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 277 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $49.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
  • Quit Meter

$357,564.38

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9148 Hours: 9

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
rvrgrl: I am truly sorry you had to go through that ordeal (sorry to say it, but it sounds like you're better off without him). You'll find that this site is somewhat estrogen-heavy, if you will, so we women can sympathize. MEN -- Bah!!! Boo!! (Don't take it personally, guys. We just need to vent like this sometimes.) My husband is continuing to smoke, even in the house, so I'm not getting the support I would like. But, that's his problem, not mine, is the way I look at it. Dumping this addiction is the best thing I have EVER done. Here's the irony: I have chaos, tragedy and turmoil in nearly all other aspects of my world currently, yet I DON'T SMOKE. My therapist and friends alike have asked me, "well, how are you managing not to smoke with all this other stress?" You know what I say? "I have no idea -- smoke and mirrors, I guess." Ha ha Actually, I'm glad I quit with all these stressors -- I think I figured out that my quit is the ONLY area over which I have control. And I'm very proud of the control I've taken and will NOT give up this quit. Not a chance. You CAN do this. You are SO worth it! Let us help. Keep the faith [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 88 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,543 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $704 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
17 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
rvrgrl, welcome to the site.. it is a great place to come for support and encouragement... Just remember one thing.. the best revenge is being happy...:) :) smoking won't make you happy.. but knowing you are strong enough to quit and start picking yourself up will.. post often.. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 321 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $168 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19

Reading this thread: