Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

The best christmas gift ever

17 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think it's a great idea to talk with your doctor. They have several options in meds now that could help you. But remember, there is no magic pill that can make it all go away. In the end, it's your determination that will make thae quit a success. I think you have a lot of that. Keep your head up, shelle [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$27,618.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 347 Hours: 8

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Quite smoking is the best gift i can give my kids for christmas and myself. My father was diagnoised with lung cancer stage 4 a week ago. So I knew it was time to quite i am 25 and been smoking 12 years. I have 2 precious boys that need me that are 6 years old and 8 months old. Well it really sunk in the other day. You can tell me untill your blue in the face that smoking kills you cant breath. You can get lung caner to me that didnt matter I knew this but then again i didnt know. I started the patch on sunday and had 3 smokes and monday went 24 hours and I knew i should quite right now knowing what my family is about to go thru. But yesterday after taking care of my father who is 64 years old I decided cigarets is not going to kill me. My father smoked 3 packs cigaretts a day. He just retired 2 years ago and he always said he he worked at his job for 48 years paid the bills raised his kids and know all he want is to sit in his chair smokes his cigarettes drink his beer untill he dies. and i knew thats what he wants. but he went to the hospital 2 weeks ago because of blood on the brain and they found out he has cancer in the lungs and liver. So he is home now and he cant be left alone so yesterday i was with him and my moms frontroom is now a hospital room. But this was his second day back at home. and he wanted to get out of bed weak as he is cuz he doesnt eat. My husband and i helped him up and had him in his chair he had a beer and a cigarete and i thought everthing is gonna get back to normal and he was slipping out of his chair he only had 1 cigareet 1 beer. This man usto smokes 3 packs and half a case of beer in one day who now cant smoke one cigarette. Its not that he cant breathe it he is not all there. the cancer spread from his lungs to liver and possible to his brain. And the man all wanted to do for the rest of his life was to sit in his chair and smoke couldnt do it because he is too weak and thats when it hit me. I am not gonna let cigarettes kill me. I dont want my kids to bury me at a young age. so now its been over 24 hours with me from smoking i know this is the best thing i can do for my children and myself. I had my last cigarette coming home from my moms telling the cigarette your not going to kill me. I am going to live a long life. I h
The smoking room is in the basement. We stoped smoking in the house after my son was born except in the basement. So i been avoiding going down stairs and the laundry is stacking up lol. The longest i ever quite befor was a month and thats when my son was born. I was soo stupid smoking when i was pregnant both times and 2 packs a day. Thank god they are healthy. Every time I have an urge i keep reading the post on the boards and let me tell it helps. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 93 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $13.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
Thank you everyone for your support i havent even had one cigarette and sometimes it sooo hard. I found a carton of cigarettes in my husband car the other day i took out a pack but never open it. I end up giving it to my mom why i went to the store so i wouldnt be tempted. Then today i thinking one just one cigarette and all my problems will just go away. Its so funny that we think like that when we smoke just inhaling will magically disappear all the problems we have. So i been doing reall good except i know i am going to gain weight which is hard on me because thats why i went back to smoking after i had my son because i didnt loose hardly any weight and then when i started smoking almost all my weight came off. I am so glad i found this support group because my husband drives me nuts cuz he is somewhat supportive but then again he lit one up right next to me when he knew i wanted one really bad. Its been 61 hours since i had a cigarette. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 89 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $13.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
I am soo disapointed in myself I gave in. But I am not giving up. I took off my patch at night because i wanted one night with out weird dreams and i didnt put the patch back on when i went over to my moms house other day I tried one puff thinking i will hate it and i did. It tasted terrible. But then i had to light up a cigarette for my dad because my mom doesnt want to trust him with a lighter(no one else was there i was watching my dad) how do you light a cigarette without inhaling it for me that is impossible. well then i herd some bad news that day that someone broke into my moms car and stoled my son's christmas gift. I was in tears and it wasnt that serious its a 30 dollar toy that can be replaced but the next thing you know I was smoking a cigarette. And i swear i was going to put back on the patch but i had one left and couldnt find it. Didnt have time to run to the store for it. Next thing i know i fell back into my old ways. I feel like i let my kids down. I really wanted to tell them that mommy stoped smoking. But i am going for it again on christmas. which i will give it all i got. My other two sisters are quiting on new years eve. And I dont have to light my dads cigarettes the nurse said he can light it himself just dont leave the lighter with him. So that will help me out alot. So right now i am disappointed that cigarettes won this round but i am very hopeful never again. This time i am going to perpare better. Buy the 14 patches instead of the 7. I was buying the store brand. Which i dont think there is a difference. Should I of went for the name brand patch? Or has someone else tried something that really helped beside the laser treatment. I should go to the doctor and get that pill that is supposto help you stop smoking it does something and makes cigarettes taste bad. I really want this be the best christmas gift ever. But I will not let cigarettes rule my life. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 983 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Candi, Stay strong....DETERMINATION!!!!! You have to be determined...dig deep, you can do this. The patch is working well for me and I know other's that have had good success on it. One day, one hour at a time if need be. Check in and let us know how it's going. Kaiti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 911 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $225.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
Hi Candi, Don't beat yourself up. Like I said earlier in this thread. You can do this....you have to dig really deep to find the determination and strength to get you through hour after hour...day after day. Although I'm very sorry your Dad is sick...that was your motivation to not be sick yourself. Sit down and think long and hard about your next quit. You have to have your head in this game so you can fight the temptations, the voices and the craves. Regroup, reset your quit date and stay with SSC. We are here for you!! Kaiti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 955 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $236.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
Candi, You won't regret this decision!! Welcome to the SSC. So many here know exactly what your going through. Read as much as you can and post often, whether your having a great day or a bad day. The support, advice and information will help you be successful and live smoke free for a long long time! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 844 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $209 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Candi, I've been through pretty much exactly what you're going through now with your dad. My dad too, had the same attitude and his goal when retired was to do what your dad wants. I know your pain more than you'll ever know. I'm on IM as much as I can be - my hubby suffers from several illnesses so he needs me often.. However if you add me to your buddy list I would be more than happy to help in anyway I can. Be strong hon.. Deciding to quit will be the biggest accomplishment of your life and it's soooo worth it. Look at what your dad is going through as a reminder of what you don't want your own children to see with you. My thoughts are with you and your family .. Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 933 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $414 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 100 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi candi0416 :) Welcome to the Stop Smoking Center forum, and good luck with your quit! You are so wise to face up to what is happening to your Dad and quit smoking now. My father went through lung cancer and emphysema almost 25 years ago, but I continued to smoke. Looking back, I know he would have wanted me to learn from his experience, but I thought I knew better at the time. Now I have started with the emphysema and will have to learn my lesson the hard way. You have lots of friends here who will help your to get through your ordeal. Please post frequently. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 883 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $145 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37

Reading this thread: