Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Scared to stop

17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Banagrace, Your heading "Scared to stop" appealed to me. This is my first time finding & trying this program & I am touched that it is your quit day. I really want you to succeed. I am 60 and have tried seriously 4 times & not so seriously too many times. Almost two years ago I got a heart attack and am lucky to be alive. I quit straight away but within three months I had started again. This is my do or die effort. I am living alone and work in a non smoking place. The longest I was off them was 6 months but I get depressed at times and that starts me again. This time I have been prescribed anti depressants by my Doc. so I have no excuse!!! Best of luck to you and all who read this Nicky
17 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI BANAGRACE, I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, I HEAR IT ALL THE TIME.IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT OTHERS THINK RIGHT NOW. ALL THAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU ARE DOING THIS FOR YOURSELF NOT THEM. I HAVE BEEN SMOKING FOR 35 YRS. I AM ALMOST 51 YEARS OLD. I FELT THE SAME WAY YOU DID ABOUT THE SMELL, AND I HATED KNOWING THAT IT WAS CONTROLLING MY LIFESTYLE. I HAVE BEEN SMOKE FREE FOR SIX DAYS TODAY. NORMALLY I WOULD SMOKE ALL MY CIGARETTES AND THEN QUIT WHEN THEY WERE GONE. THAT WAS DUMB! THIS TIME I ACTUALLY TOOK OUT A HALF PACK AND CRUMBLED THEM UP IN THE TRASH. I SAVED ONE AND LIT IT AND TOOK TWO PUFFS AND THREW IT OUT ALSO. I WAS READY! FINALLY I WAS FEELING CONFIDENT. I KNEW IT WAS GOING TO WORK THIS TIME, THIS SITE HAS HELPED ME CONSIDERABLY. I ALSO PRAYED FOR HELP DEEP WITHIN MY HEART. IT HAS BEEN SO REMARKABLE. I HAVE VERY FEW SMALL CRAVINGS. I EAT THREE MEALS A DAY AND TWO SNACKS. I ALSO SUCK ON ALOT OF MILD FIREBALLS. ITS DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE BUT, I FEEL UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY HONEST WITH YOURSELF AND WANT TO QUIT IT WONT WORK. THERE IS PLENTY OF READING IN HERE TO PREPARE YOU FOR YOUR QUIT DATE. ALSO WHO ARE YOU QUITTING FOR AND WHY ARE YOU QUITTING? YOU CAN DO IT!! DO IT FOR YOURSELF!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 136 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $13.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Banagrace, How are you going? I hope you didn't take that detour to the gas station ? All the best to you.... :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 58 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,571 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $580 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
17 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi and Welcome, I just joined today. My quit date is August 8th also. You will not be alone on your quit date. add me to your buddy list and feel free to IM me. I have tried to quit quite a few times before. A couple times I tried to hide the fact I was quitting, because I didn't want to disappoint people. This time I am announcing it to everyone. I also came on line and found this and another support site. I picked a date that was meaningful to me.. WE CAN DO THIS.. WE WILL DO THIS dawghouse [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 583 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
banagrace, YOU CAN DO IT. My hubby smokes 3packs a day. So of corse he is not really into me quiting. Although he his trying to be sopportive and encouraging. I take it more of a fake though. Like he is proud but he is also scared of me actully making it this time. I have failed 4 times in the past. This time feels really different. I have confindence and a unruling determination to quit. 3 days in I feel good. I still have some cravings and wierd thoughts but I want this bad. I want it enough to have to avoid my hubby a little. Will this strain our marrage, purhaps. We may have to do some major work to stay connected together. Even still so worth the quit. It is not about him, or really even our kids(although most of my reasons r about them.) It is about me taking control of my life, my destiny, my attitude, my health, my passion, my strenght, hopes, dreams, and MY FUTURE. I could probaly keep going on that. Anyway good luck to ya. I will keep a look out for. Since I think we quit within a day. Oh yeh I am on here about 20 times a day so far to. With Love, Faith,and Grace [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 52 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 515 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Banagrace; Yes, in previous attempts to quit, I had so little support that I "hid" the fact that I was trying to quit! What I didn't know about was this website and the wealth of knowledge, education & support that I could draw on - all free of charge & no obligation! I have quit cold turkey (this is the 3rd time for me, with that same method) and I am actually having a rather easy time of getting thru the physical withdrawel compared to the other times). My junkie thinking started just before I quit, (afraid of failure) but everyone taught me to do positive self-talk, journal feelings, use rewards, and so on. So welcome aboard & feel free to open up here & talk, talk, talk! We all need each to do this. Ericon [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 58 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $7.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
No, I have not detoured. I seem to have a fire and determination in my gut that I have never had before..."I am not giving into this"! I like the term "nicodemon". I refuse to let him (or "it") control me any longer. I will admit, I am extremely on edge and am being very short with people, both at home and at work. I told my boss I had quit and was in a bad mood. She said she would buy me a Diet Coke so I could at least have caffeine. I am 37 years old (as of the 8th) and plan to be a non-smoker and get in shape so I can be a REAL beauty by the time I'm 40!!!!!!
Everyone is too awesome!
Nicky, I know how you feel about the depression; I suffer from it, too. I am currently taking Wellbutrin which helps a bit, but considering I had to have a full hysterectomy when I was 30 has put my hormones all out of wack, also. I have quit today and am doing ok so far. I am just scared of the morning when I am driving to work...I hope I don't get that same old temptation to "detour" to the gas station to get "just one more pack". I am going to start posting probably 20 times a day to keep from losing grip. I am sorry you have gone through what you have. It's horrible the way this drug controls every ounce of our being. I wish you all the luck in the world and I would love to speak with you more if you need a friend.
I am so sorry for your loss. I have a friendship that has lasted over 20 years so I know the bond that exists between two women. You have inspired me and I thank you for your honesty.

Reading this thread: