Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

help me stop smoking

18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
new here as of a min ago...I have copd and just got out of the hospital 2 days ago after 6 days of hardly breathing....have to quit..have tried to no avail and really need help now...any takers out there....
18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks hope i can do it...cant work no more and afraid i wont be fishing if i dont do something...ha.my son says do it dad.. i didnt listen to him and he asks why and i cant answer him y i cant quit.
18 years ago 0 1262 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Ed You have come to the right place for support for your desire to stop smoking. I faced health/lung/breathing issues myself and that is when I stopped smoking. I won't say quit for your son, because you have to quit for yourself. I can say, your son could be a motivation to stop smoking. I have witnessed first hand COPD and emphysema in my family and it is a long slow death. It was hard to watch. A motivation might be....I do not want to be a burden on my family and If I don't stop smoking I might be. I just found this website a few days ago, 3 weeks after I stopped smoking. NO DOUBT in my mind if I had the support of this group from the get go it would have been easier for me. And the support I get from this wonderful group/website is not only instrumental in helping me stay quit, they have actually helped me REJOICE the quit. I am HAPPY I don't smoke and I am FREE. You can do this! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 627 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $123 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
18 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ed, Well I am fairly new here too. Today is my 7th day of my Quit - I have not had a smoke since 7 days ago. And I quit cold turkey (had a bad, bad cold/flu thing, and just decided I would get better and stop smoking at the same time)... It's not been easy thats for sure, but Ed, I knew it was time for me to Quit (I was smoking almost 2 packs a day). And I just did it. I spent alot of time here reading and reading, and I just did it. I just said N.O.P.E. (not one puff ever ((again)) like I read here. I have spent a lot of time here reading the posts and I introduced myself and get into this site like it was my saving grace, and ya know what? It has been. Ed, just read and post and post and read. And post and read some more. If it had not been for this site and the posts and info here, I know I would not have been able to keep and protect my Quit like I have. Just read and read, and if you are really ready to Quit, you will find the support you need here. My computer decided to go out today and one of the first things I thought was wtf! I need a damn cig to deal with this! Well, I didn't and I am up again (new laptop here) and ya know what? I am committed to my Quit and I own it, and I'm not going backwards for nothin'. And you can do this too. If you're ready, we're ready with you, dear one. Blessings and looking forward to hearing from you, Ed. Danita xox [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 273 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
18 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,I am new at this as well and this site has helped me. Smoking is a very hard addiction and I am still trying to convince my self that I dont want to smoke anymore. Its hard but as you can see there are many others that have done it. We have to face we are addicts and no better then a junkie. it is a fight but best fight it now before it is too late. I know I dont want to live with an oxygen tank or die before my child gets to grow up. I dont want to be a prisoner to this addiction and put it before my family. YOU and I and everyone else has to fight this addiction and not let it win. we have to know we are stronger. Good luck to you! We can do it. Dont let your scare become your reality [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 375 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ED, Welcome to the SSC. There is a wealth of information in this site. I believe that everyone here goes through the absolute agony of fighting the addiction (to nicotine and the other drugs in tobacco) and choosing their strength of choice. Each person using their ability to say that they do not smoke and acting on what they say they are doing (keeping their word). You have the ability to make the choice to quit, and when you are ready you will quit. Good luck, keep posting and letting us know how you are doing. Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 479 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $172.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ed: You have come to the right place. I found the patch to be helpful. I have emphysema and after somking for a great many years I was able to quit. The reason that I am still quit is because of this site and the people here. please check out the programs on the left and come here often. We will be here for you. Kaiser [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 71 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,865 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $710 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
18 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Ed! I spent new years in the hospital. Its scary as hell not to be able to breathe. I was on oxygen, steroids and breathing treatments for a week. The second day in my husband said the doctor told him I wasnt getting better; it scared him, he told me that he would quit because he knew if we kept smoking that I was absolutly going to die in the near future. (At 32) I stress my age because I really in my heart and down in my bones know I wouldnt have made it to 40 and that is way to young to die. We did it cold turkey, I already had 7 days without when I got out of the hospital; no way I was going to start all over again. I have worked my butt off to get my education and I will be finishing this year; for nothing if I kept smoking! Its one of the hardest things I have done in life, mind you though ONE of the hardest its not impossible. This is accomplished by people everyday. Their will be hell days and there will be great days you just have to make up your mind that you are stronger then it and make a desion everyday not to let it win. I know you can do it...in the middle of my quit I lost someone very special to me in a very horrible way, I just knew it was going to break me, I knew I would never make it through that without a smoke but I did. My quit is a long story so I have just given you bits and peices so you know someone understands. The people on this site are awesome, I have found a lot of strenght in their posts. Welcome to a whole new world :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 71 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,305 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $355 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
18 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, how scary for you - talk about a wake up call! Well you've come to the right place - if it hadn't been for this place I doubt I would have stuck to my quit but I'm so glad I did!! You need to make a commitment and stick to it. Set yourself a date (sooner rather than later), write out a coping strategy, whether you are going cold turkey or use NRT, and work out what you're gonna do when those craves kick in. Don't forget it only takes 72 hours for your body to become nicotine free, and it's amazing how quickly you'll see the benefits. Congratulations on making the best decision of your life - it is so do-able - the people here are testimony to that. Go for it!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 67 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 812 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �80.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
18 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
welcome ed. yes you need to quit but we cant do it for you,you need to want it more that anything[hark at me!!!!! :p].there are a few posts on copds if you want to read them look above in the search bit and you will find them.are you going to use anything[i used the nic gum]to help you or are you going cold turkey?there are a few of them running around this site!deside when it will happen,prepare and then do it! we are here for you, jan x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/13/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 150 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,768 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �592.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25

Reading this thread: